The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

So ... I had the day off again today. Thought I would goof around with this lapping film and the practice straight. Ran it through the film progression, next is pasted balsa and then the leather. We’ll see if it shaves this evening.

Great shave Time!

I don't think I've ever forgot I took the day off before.
Then shelf looks good!

Good luck with the lapping film.

2018 Shave Count (DE: 219 SV: 8 SR: 16)

Pre Shave-
Warm shower and warm water splash to shave.

Shave-
Solingen SR (1)
Vulfix Badger
Tabac soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Tabac AS

Woohoo ... it shaves! And it bites. So yesterday I honed up my practice razor on lapping film. I ran the 12, 5, 3 & 1 micron progression and stopped there. I have read that if you drop down to a 0.3 micron it is crazy sharp, but 1 micron is smoother so I stopped there. It was kinda theraputic and feeling the stiction on the blade was kinda cool. From the film, I went to the pasta balsa and then to the leather. It seemed to go well, but the ultimate test is always the shave. So last night I gave it a go.

I again ran with the Badger and, as usual, ran it a bit wet. The Tabac cranked out a very nice, slick lather. I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG, and have some drama to report. That's right my friends, I had drama. The razor shaved well and was smooth. But ... it bit my face. I was changing angles and put the blade to my face with too much angle and pressure. I now have a 3/4” slice on my jaw line. Grrrrrrr. It's all good, it's not too deep and I know it's sharp now. Last night I walked away with a CCS++ for the win!

Wrapped up the shave with a splash of water, a quick towel dry and a splash of the Tabac AS. Everything was right as rain! Well, except that it lit up that new cut ... wow. Good shave all around and I was super stoked that it would shave. Life is good!

Well heck, at least you know that was user error and you did a good job on the blade.

2018 Shave Count (DE: 220 SV: 8 SR: 16)

Pre Shave-
Warm shower and warm water splash to shave.

Shave-
Gillette Senator (3)
Vulfix Badger
Tabac soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Tabac AS

So ... yesterday and today I have been giving the Senator a workout. Woke up early enough today for a morning shave. Running the same setup all week and I am winding down this work week.

The badger and Tabac pair well to produce a very nice, slick lather. Due to time, I varied my standard three passes and instead went with two: WTG and ATG, and have no drama to report. Both days I walked away with a DFS+ for the win!

Wrapped up today's shave with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A splash of AS and you know , everythi
ng was right as rain! The weekend is approaching fast and I have some shave mail on the way. Life is good!

Back