The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

Good stuff Tim! I wouldn’t say your first honing was a complete failure, you failed correctly and didn’t seriously damage anything!

That is true, I’m glad I didn’t damage anything. Buying that razor for a practice razor was a good call.

2018 Shave Count (DE: 221 SV: 8 SR: 19)

Pre Shave-
Warm shower and water splash to shave.

Shave-
Gillette Slim
Astra SP
Semogue 1520 Boar
GTB soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
GTB AS

Got up a bit earlier today and started the day with a morning shave. Went ahead and grabbed the Slim and changed out brushes. Today I went with the 1520 and so far I am liking this brush. It seems to have more backbone than the 1250 or 1305 and doesn't splay as wide as the other two. It is softer and has a bigger knot than my Omega and it also has less scritch. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

So ... loaded up the Semogue and ready to go. Yes, for me this brush is working better than the other two. It built and held a rally nice lather. If it keeps up like this, the brush is a keeper. I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG, and have no drama to report. The Slim does not disappoint either, today I walked away with a BBS for the win!

Wrapped up the shave with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A splash of the AS and Everything was right as rain! Life is good!

I need to start shaving more than once a day. I'd like to use GTB at least once a week.

Catching up, and some nice mail calls! Those Semogue boars are excellent brushes indeed.

Great that you got some magnification to check your edges. I find that it helps me tremendously, not that I know how to hone razors very well.

2018 Shave Count (DE: 222 SV: 8 SR: 19)

Pre Shave-
Warm shower and water splash to shave.

Shave-
Gillette Slim
Astra SP
Semogue 1520 Boar
GTB soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
GTB AS

Been a crazy busy week at work so far and waking up for morning shaves has been hit or miss. So last night I wrapped the day up with a shave. Loving the Slim but will be winding it down probably tomorrow. The 1520 is performing well and it should be a keeper.

Loaded up the Semogue and away we go. The brush does fine, it's just different. I'll have to hammer on the Omega soon. The brush built and held a rally nice lather with a 20 second load time. On the Slim, I dialed it down from a 5 to a 4 just out of curiosity. I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG, and have no drama to report. The Slim once again stepped up and delivered a BBS for the win!

Wrapped up the shave with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A splash of the GTB AS and everything was right as rain! Time to start the day. Life is good!

Back