The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

Well good, I was worried you might not have quite enough brushes to use a different one every day of the week. Problem solved!

Well good, I was worried you might not have quite enough brushes to use a different one every day of the week. Problem solved!
I was worried too ... not ? Really didn’t need them, but wanted to try the second Semogue from the right. I just couldn’t pass up 6 brushes for $15, I’m cheap like that ?

2018 Shave Count (DE: 220 SV: 8 SR: 17)

Pre Shave-
Warm water splash to shave.

Shave-
Solingen SR (2)
Semogue Boar
AA Bay Rum soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
AA Bay Rum AS

I have been lax in setup pics, so today I took one, enjoy!

Today was my Friday off and I thought I would start the random shave weekend a bit early. I needed to circle back on this SR and try one of the new Boar brushes. Late morning shaves are great.

This boar was not what I was expecting, it had several differences from my Omega. It was really soft with no scritch ... whaaat? IKR? It also held a lot of water and really splayed.

Got a good, wet lather going and I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG, and have no drama to report. I had to go back to the tub and reload due to how much water the brush had held. This was a redemption shave for this razor and I walked away with a DFS on the cheeks and CCS on the neck. I’ll call that a win!

Wrapped up the shave with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A splash of the Bay Rum AS and everything was right as rain! Oh yes it was. Cleaned up my gear and this brush has some serious bed head. Time to grab the eye patch and hit the road, there are errands and pirating to do. Arrr! Life is good!

2018 Shave Count (DE: 220 SV: 8 SR: 18)

Pre Shave-
Warm water splash to shave.

Shave-
Dovo SR (4)
Maggard Razor Synth
PdP #63 soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
PdP #63 ASB

Today was another late morning shave and the Dovo was on deck. I also broke out one of the synth brushes that I just picked up. Shhhhh, don’t tell the misses. I had picked up a synth before and used it once or twice before the misses claimed that one too.

Had a sloppy, wet lather going and was nice. I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG, and have no drama to report. I had to go back to the tub with this brush due to way too much water. Have to make a mental note of that. The shave today didn’t seem as close as yesterday. This razor is smooth, but may need a bit more edge to it, when compared to the WhippedDog. But I did walk away with a CCS for the win!

Wrapped up the shave with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. Smeared on some ASB and everything was right as rain! Life is good!

Mmmm, I’m jealous of your PdP AS. I need to get some more products. That’s good smelling stuff right there.

Mmmm, I’m jealous of your PdP AS. I need to get some more products. That’s good smelling stuff right there.

I am gonna make a menthol free PdP 63 splash at some point to try out. I have the scented oils now to just find the perfect skin food and astringent combo to mix and then try a batch.

I am gonna make a menthol free PdP 63 splash at some point to try out. I have the scented oils now to just find the perfect skin food and astringent combo to mix and then try a batch.

Nice!

Introducing TJ and his new line of Doc Holiday AS splashes!

The ASB is nice, but I’d rather have a splash.
Nice! One of these days I would like to figure that kinda stuff out.

I bought the 63 EdT, partly so I could make an aftershave splash out of it. Just haven’t gotten into the science lab with it yet.

2018 Shave Count (DE: 220 SV: 8 SR: 19)

Pre Shave-
Warm shower and water splash to shave.

Shave-
Three Ranners SR
Semogue 1305 Boar
GTB soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
GTB AS

Had to run out to my mom's yesterday and work on her car, so I missed my morning shave. No worries, I wrapped the day up with an evening shave. Went ahead and stayed with the straights for the weekend and brought out the Three Ranners. I also kept the Semogue 1305 brush. That brush is really different than my Omega. The 1305 is softer (with no scritch), but it doesn't have the backbone of the Omega, it also splays like crazy and has serious bed head when dry. It's easily twice as wide as any other brush I have. When using it, I also have to go back to the tub more ... not that there is anything wrong with that. The jury is still out on this one, I think I will move on to another Semoque and see how it behaves.

So, loaded up the 1305 and ready to go. I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG, and have no drama to report. As I mentioned, I did have to go back to the tub with this brush. I have found that to be the case every time I have used it. The shave last night was good and the blade feels like it has more of a keen edge to it than the Dovo. But the Dovo has a smoother feel to it. And I did walk away with a another CCS for the win!

Wrapped up the shave with a splash of water, a quick towel dry and a splash of the AS. Everything was right as rain! As you know, I usually rock the same soap/AS combo during the work week so ... GTB in the house!. Life is good!

A side note on the straights. I got a chance to check out the edges on all of them with the new pocket microscope. That thing is pretty cool. I found that both the Three Ranners and the Dovo have a nice clean edge, but a different feel to them. I also found that the Solingen I honed with the lapping film has room for improvement. That's a nice way of saying that I failed on my first honing. I was trying to go by feel and I should have been using the loop or microscope to check the edge. The Solingen does shave, but in looking at the edge, I did not polish out some of the scratches from previous grits. So, back to the film for that one and I'll see if I can do better.

That's pretty cool. I imagine all the old hands go by feel. But if I ever started honing, it would be tech all the way.

Good stuff Tim! I wouldn’t say your first honing was a complete failure, you failed correctly and didn’t seriously damage anything!

My Semogue i believe is a 620 or 630 is very stiff backbone if I dont soak it enough before. otherwise it is very very nice.

Back