The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

I keep looking for something like that at Lowe’s and never find anything smooth enough.

Nice score on the marble tiles...make sure that they're lapped FLAT before you try them with some lapping film.

Great shave and you're making some great strides very quick with the straights!

Wait, you have to lap the marble tiles?? I’ve never heard anyone say that before.

Any surface that you put lapping film on should be flat as can be. A simple check with a straight edge lengthwise and crosswise at multiple points should be enough to tell him if it needs it or not. Should have led with that.

Marble and ceramic tiles are usually very flat, that is why they are used. But you should check just to be sure!

Shave - Congrats
Score on Marble - Congrats
Enjoying watching your journey and learning
Thanks Dave! I am enjoying the journey.
Great shave and find on the marble Tim!
Thanks Craig!
Nice score on the marble tiles...make sure that they're lapped FLAT before you try them with some lapping film.

Great shave and you're making some great strides very quick with the straights!
Thanks Josh! I thought I would just wade in instead of a running jump ? I hadn’t heard that about lapping marble.

Any surface that you put lapping film on should be flat as can be. A simple check with a straight edge lengthwise and crosswise at multiple points should be enough to tell him if it needs it or not. Should have led with that.
Marble and ceramic tiles are usually very flat, that is why they are used. But you should check just to be sure!
That’s good info and easy to check. I know one has a slice in it that’s not visible. I may try to lap that out and make it a spare. But I do need to double check the other one. Thanks guys!

2018 Shave Count (DE: 218 SV: 8 SR: 11)

Pre Shave-
Warm shower and water splash to shave.

Shave-
Boker SR (5)
Omega boar
Proraso Red soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Proraso Red AS splash

Yesterday was an evening shave with the Boker and Proraso. Hit the Boker 50 laps on the Illinois strop.

I loaded the Omega for 25 seconds and threw some water at it. It’s been too long since I used the Red, I love that Sandalwood scent. Went with my standard three passes again: WTG, XTG and ATG, and have no drama to report. Last night I walked away with a CCS+ for the win!.

Wrapped up the shave with a splash of water and a towel dry. A splash of the Proraso AS and everything was right as rain! The Proraso and Omega are a great combo and only 89 shaves to go! Life is good!

Great stuff Tim! hitting consistent CCS+'s right off the bat with the straights is impressive indeed!

Love me some Proraso Red! My 1st lather ever was with Proraso Red cream. Great shave! Tim!

Another good one for the books Tim. Have a great day !!
Thanks Dave! I hope you do as well!
Sounds like a winner all the way around.
Thanks Chris, it really was!
Great stuff Tim! hitting consistent CCS+'s right off the bat with the straights is impressive indeed!
Thanks Josh! Now I just have to hold it ?
Love me some Proraso Red! My 1st lather ever was with Proraso Red cream. Great shave! Tim!
Thanks Craig! I love Proraso Red too and it will always have a place on my shelf.

2018 Shave Count (DE: 218 SV: 8 SR: 12)

Pre Shave-
Warm water splash to shave.

Shave-
Boker SR (6)
Omega boar
Proraso Red soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Proraso Red AS splash

Happy Hump Day everybody! As you know, I usually run the same setup during the week ... so it is Proraso Red week! I scored a morning shave today and didn't realize how long it takes me to shave with a straight. I'm just going along trying to focus on technique and pressure ... wouldn't you know, I was running late. Oh well, totally worth it. A thanks to GearNoir on the shave angle. I am running somewhere between 1-2 spines. I stayed with the Boker and the Illinois strop again today and will all week.

I loaded the Omega for 20 seconds and threw a bit more water at it. That Sandalwood scent is a great way to start the day. Went with my standard three passes again: WTG, XTG and ATG, and have no drama to report. I did have one spot, low on my neck, where the razor just stopped. No red stuff came out, it was just like a paper cut. A long paper cut. Anyway today I walked away with a CCS for the win!

Wrapped up the shave with a splash of water and a towel dry. A splash of the Proraso AS and everything was right as rain! That was after I stopped fanning the cut that the AS lit up. The Proraso and Omega ... I can't say enough good things about that combo. WooHoo, only 88 shaves to go! Life is good!

Back