The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

2018 Shave Count (DE: 218 SV: 8 SR: 9)

Pre Shave-
Warm shower and water splash to shave.

Shave-
Boker SR (3)
Vulfix badger
WSP Gaelic Tweed soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash

Went with an early evening shave today. I kept the Boker and queued up the WSP Gaelic Tweed soap that I had received in a PIF. Gave the Boker 50 laps on the Illinois strop and was ready to go..

So I loaded the Vulfix for 20 seconds and threw some water at it. It cranked out a really nice lather, with a pleasant scent. Attempted my standard three passes again: WTG, XTG and ATG, and have no drama to report. I can’t believe I walked away with a CCS+ for the win! I am kinda stoked.

Wrapped up the shave with a splash of water and a towel dry. Didn’t have a matching AS and wanted to see how the soap would do post shave. Everything was right as rain! The wife gave me a sniff and told me to buy the AS. 91 shaves to go! Life is good!

Quiet the performance already to be building your first 100 on.

That Gaelic Tweed is excellent! And the scent is very close to Creed's GIT.
It does smell good. And the post shave feel with just soap was good as well. Hope the AS has some staying power.
Great shave and enabled by the missus...a landmark day!
Thanks Chris! Yup, she’s a keeper.
Quiet the performance already to be building your first 100 on.
Thanks Dave! It sounds good on paper but my technique still needs lots of work. After watching Gearnoir’s video today, I raised my angle a bit and that helped.

Thanks Dave! It sounds good on paper but my technique still needs lots of work. After watching Gearnoir’s video today, I raised my angle a bit and that helped.

Keep in mind to not copy the angle I take with my Feather AC with your SR if you can help it. Feathers naturally need a higher angle than a traditional straight.

Nice shaves Tim...that Boker is a handsome razor! Outstanding stuff that SWMBO is enabling you to get more stuff...always a big bonus!

Loving the Gaelic Tweed Soap...the wife gave you the green light...so why don't you have the AS yet?

Keep in mind to not copy the angle I take with my Feather AC with your SR if you can help it. Feathers naturally need a higher angle than a traditional straight.

Got it, thanks Chris! On my Personna I run the spine real close to the skin. With 1 spine width or two max. I think I was running a high 2 widths on the Boker. I’ll keep an eye on that.

Sounds like my quest exactly
This week I have had some bumps on my neck so I decided to use my electric razor. Ugh what a horrible shave and my face felt all scratchy and I ended up with a bunch of ingrown hairs from it.
DE has been great for me.

Nice shaves Tim...that Boker is a handsome razor! Outstanding stuff that SWMBO is enabling you to get more stuff...always a big bonus!
Thanks Josh! All the razors that he brought to the meetup were very nice. But I’ve seen the Boker mentioned a bunch so I thought I’d give it a try. The misses is great! I’m rarely told no ?
Loving the Gaelic Tweed Soap...the wife gave you the green light...so why don't you have the AS yet?
I wasn’t sure about the first sniff. It smelled nice and all, but I wasn’t sure. As I wore it, I thought this smells really good. I’ll have to order tonight. Have to run out to my moms and work on her car today.

Sounds like my quest exactly \nThis week I have had some bumps on my neck so I decided to use my electric razor. Ugh what a horrible shave and my face felt all scratchy and I ended up with a bunch of ingrown hairs from it. \nDE has been great for me.
\n\nYou and me both brother, love my DEs. They just deliver exceptional shaves with no drama. I had mentioned trying a straight and my wife’s eyes lit up. So I thought I’d give them a try. One day I will pull a BBS on a SR.

You and me both brother, love my DEs. They just deliver exceptional shaves with no drama. I had mentioned trying a straight and my wife’s eyes lit up. So I thought I’d give them a try. One day I will pull a BBS on a SR.

That is an admirable goal for a BBS with a straight. I can pull them with my shavette types Weck, SS, and the old half DE one that is now buried and gone. But have only gotten one with a traditional SR

Catching up again Tim!

Great job with the Straights! Awesome for the honemeister to let you borrow a razor and then keep it till dull while he hones yours!

PdP 63 is a great soap and scent. Just a reminder that they have an EdT now too.

2018 Shave Count (DE: 218 SV: 8 SR: 10)

Pre Shave-
Warm shower and water splash to shave.

Shave-
Boker SR (4)
Vulfix badger
WSP Gaelic Tweed soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash

Had a late morning shave today. I kept the Boker and the WSP Gaelic Tweed. Gave the Boker 50 laps on the Illinois strop and was ready to go.

Same as yesterday, I loaded the Vulfix for 20 seconds and threw some water at it. It cranked out another really nice lather. Went with my standard three passes again: WTG, XTG and ATG, and have no drama to report. Today I walked away with a CCS+ for the win! I am really stoked.

Wrapped up the shave with a splash of water and a towel dry. Again no AS and everything was right as rain! A mere 90 shaves to go! Life is good!

That is an admirable goal for a BBS with a straight. I can pull them with my shavette types Weck, SS, and the old half DE one that is now buried and gone. But have only gotten one with a traditional SR

Aim for the stars my friend! If nothing else, it can be a lifetime goal. Hopefully I have plenty of time ?

Catching up again Tim!

Great job with the Straights! Awesome for the honemeister to let you borrow a razor and then keep it till dull while he hones yours!

PdP 63 is a great soap and scent. Just a reminder that they have an EdT now too.
Thanks Craig! I am actually settling in and enjoying the learning curve with the straights. I must be warped ? Yes that was super generous of the honemeister! I have been blessed to find some really great people in the shaving community.

Scored these 6x12x3/8 marble tiles yesterday for $7 and change at Home Depot. They came in a two pack. So I think I’m set to try lapping film.

I will have to wait just a bit before I start. I have a modification to make to my shaving shelf first.

Scored these 6x12x3/8 marble tiles yesterday for $7 and change at Home Depot. They came in a two pack. So I think I’m set to try lapping film.

I will have to wait just a bit before I start. I have a modification to make to my shaving shelf first.

Great score! Nice looking cuts!

Back