The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

Yeah, I have a small rotation so it cycles pretty quick. It was onboard this week, but I am off tomorrow, so I may start random shaves early.

Even though the shave wasn't the result you were looking for, it was still a positive since you learned a thing or two!

2018 Shave Count (DE: 218 SV: 8 SR: 8)

Pre Shave-
Warm shower and water splash to shave.

Shave-
Boker SR (2)
Vulfix badger
PdP 63 soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
PdP 63 ASB

Ok, so I needed a rematch with this Boker. That last SAS shave felt horrible. I decided to put the Poorman’s strop away for awhile and grabbed the Illinois. I may have mentioned before that I think it’s horsehide. Hit it with 50 laps and put on my game face.

My weekend started early so I also changed up my soap/AS. I read something on loading soaps that I wanted to try. So I loaded the Vulfix for 50 seconds and threw a bunch of water at it. It cranked out a really nice lather. Attempted my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG, and have no drama to report. Last night I was back into a CCS for the win! I use a hybrid XTG with both the DE or SR. I am finding that my strokes don’t seem as awkward using two hands. I find the XTG pass is easier if I pull the razor up with my off hand, instead of trying to push the razor up. If that makes any sense. I am also noticing where I don’t maintain the same angle between both hands.

Wrapped up the shave with a splash of water and a towel dry. Throw in a dash of the matching ASB and everything was right as rain! I still have many things to learn and to develop my muscle memory. The learning curve may be steep, but it’s manageable. 92 shaves to go! Life is good!

That's a nice looking razor! And sounds like you're getting into the swing of things with it. Way to go!

Nice shave and razor Tim. My Boker was my favorite to shave with.

Thanks Dave! This one is a loaner, so it will have to go home sometime. I ordered a GD 66 to practice honing on. I also got lapping film. The GD came in yesterday and that thing really is a piece of crap. I think a 2x4 may have a better edge. It’s not even worth posting a pic.

Shave mail today:

After a month of waiting on the GD, I scored this razor on the bay to replace the DG for practice honing, $8 and not shave ready. Looks like its never been used. Also scored this loop to play with.

That's a long load time. Did you bloom the soap before that too?

Very nice razors Tim and PdP 63 is delicious for sure. I bloom that one like it is drowning and it cuts the load time down a bunch.

Nope. But I ran a really wet brush and kept throwing water at it. Had a big mess
1f601.png
More than one way to rope a calf!

Back