The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

Lol. Have a great date!
Thanks Chris!
Oh man...SWMBO likes the scent! YES! Great write-up Tim!
Thank you sir! SWMBO approval is a bonus.
Because she liked the scent, you took her out to dinner! What happens if she doesn't like a scent?
1f60b.png
She can cook!

JK, I’d take her out to dinner anyway and sit closer ?
Great shave Tim. Nods of approval from SWMBO is always a good thing.
Yes sir, always a good thing!

2018 Shave Count (DE: 216 SV: 8 SR: 7)

Pre Shave-
Warm water splash to shave.

Shave-
Gillette Goodwill #162
Astra SP (1)
Vulfix badger
AA Bay Rum soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
AA Bay Run AS

WooHoo! woke up a bit early today and was able to get in a morning shave. Changed up the razor and the soap/AS for a new weekly rotation. It's Bay Rum time! Kept the Vulfix brush and loaded for 25 seconds. I worked up a very nice lather this morning.

Went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG, and have no drama to report. I was asked for the shaving differences between the Old Type and the Goodwill. So, just coming off the Old Type, I'll run the Goodwill for a week. Today I walked away with a DFS+ for the win! It was a comfortable shave, but I was surprised I didn't catch a BBS. It may be due to the new blade, but I'm not sure. I will find out with the next shave or two.

Wrapped up the shave with a splash of water, a quick towel dry and the matching AS splash. Starting the day off with a good shave, you know everything was right as rain! The shave settled down quickly for an awesome post shave feel. Life is good!

Nice stuff Tim! Looking forward to the comparison later in the week between the Goodwill and the Old Type.

Nice stuff Tim! Looking forward to the comparison later in the week between the Goodwill and the Old Type.

Thanks Josh. I’ll have to follow-up on that a bit later today.

On another note, Sunday I met with the guy that is honing my Dovo. He had also brought a small selection of razors for me to try while I waiting on mine to be returned. I borrowed the Boker to take for a test drive, but haven’t tried it yet.

Thanks Josh. I’ll have to follow-up on that a bit later today.

On another note, Sunday I met with the guy that is honing my Dovo. He had also brought a small selection of razors for me to try while I waiting on mine to be returned. I borrowed the Boker to take for a test drive, but haven’t tried it yet.

Great fortune finding a local honemeister! Hope it works out!

OOOO! Bokers are very nice! Hope you give it a test run soon!

Now you did it, I’m going to have to try it sooner rather than later ?

He brought the Boker, a Red Imp and some others that I hadn’t heard of with awesome etchings on the blades. That doesn’t mean much because I am new to straights. I’ll give it a go in the next day or two.

Great fortune finding a local honemeister! Hope it works out!

Thanks Chris! He sent me a message that the razor is honed and he adjusted the pivot pen. It opened way too easy. He said it should go out this week and to keep the Boker until it gets dull and then mail it back to him.

2018 Shave Count (DE: 217 SV: 8 SR: 7)

Pre Shave-

Warm water splash to shave.

Shave-

Gillette Goodwill #162

Astra SP (2)

Vulfix badger

AA Bay Rum soap

Post Shave-

Warm water splash

AA Bay Run AS

Man oh man, can you believe it? I woke up early again this morning and scored another shave. Back into a weekly rotation after the "free for all" I had last week (queue Ted Nugent). Loaded the Vulfix for 25 seconds again this morning. That sounded like a good solid number, but I may dial it down a few seconds on my next shave. Lather was spot on and smelling great!

Went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG, and have no drama to report. Today I walked away with a BBS for the win! I need to check when I get home tonight and see if my OT is the thin or thick cap. I believe the #162 has the thin cap and the OT may have the thicker cap. So I may not be dialing my angle in the same on both razors. That would make since, because at the moment I give a slight edge to the OT for length of time BBS. They are both smooth and comfortable shaves, but I can dial in the the OT shave angle a bit better with no thought.

Wrapped up the shave with a splash of water and a towel dry. Hit it with the matching AS splash and everything was right as rain! The shave settled down quickly for another awesome post shave feel. Life is good!

Most excellent, and I didn't realize that there were different thickness caps for the old Gillettes...

2018 Shave Count (DE: 218 SV: 8 SR: 7)

Pre Shave-
Warm shower and water splash to shave.

Shave-
Boker SR (1)
Vulfix badger
AA Bay Rum soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
AA Bay Run AS

I made a slight correction on my shave count, so it should be right now. Missed the morning shave yesterday and fell back into a nightly one. I set the Goodwill to the side for the night and grabbed the Boker that I have on loan. My main focus with the straights has been on three things: a light touch, shave angle and fluid movement. I think I'm doing ok on the light touch (knock on wood). I am still working on both the fluid movement and the shave angle. I know as I keep practicing, those things will click.

Loaded the Vulfix for 25 seconds again and cranked up a nice lather. Decided to throw caution to the wind and attempted my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG, and have no drama to report. With that said, my passes still need lots of work. Yesterday I walked away with a SAS. I did try and adjust my angle during the shave, but it was late and I think my angle was all kinds of jacked up. I'll give it another go tonight.

Wrapped up the shave with a splash of water and a towel dry. I didn't bother to hit it with the matching AS splash because it was late and I still had stubble face. And for my friend Dave ... everything was right as rain! Well, except for that stubbly shave ... grrrrr. Life is good!

Luckily no blood was seen given it was "all kinds of jacked up"! I keep seeing you using your AA Bay Rum and think I need to pull mine out again, but I always hesitate because my wife commented it was much too strong. Maybe a day I'm headed outside to paint.

Back