The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

Great stuff Tim! If I were stateside I would offer to hone it for you. Dovo's take a pretty easy edge.

Nice new acquisitions. I look forward to seeing how you like the Illinois strop - I've always wondered about those.

Thanks Chris! I’ll get a pic up, it’s a 2 strap, leather and cloth. I think it’s an older one because the hardware is chromed, not brass. The hardware was not centered correctly and that bugs me. I also had to burn off some string on the handle. No loose ones, just ends. So QC wasn’t awesome.

I think this one might be horsehide because it’s stamped with a horse head. The others I’ve seen are stamped with a cow head and say cowhide. It is not as thick as the hide from Larry’s Poorman’s strop. But I’m not sure about the type of hide. It does have a blem, but that may be from the PO and won’t hurt anything. I’ll let you know how it works out.

Great stuff Tim! If I were stateside I would offer to hone it for you. Dovo's take a pretty easy edge.

Thanks Josh, I appreciate the thought. I may try the balsa strop and see if that helps, if not I’ll send it off. It’s a tad smaller than the vintage and I am really wanting to give it a go. Should make a great backup or primary.

Quick question about SRs. The Dovo opens really easy, but the vintage has resistance and kinda drags. This means the vintage is just pinned tighter, right? Both are ok, or should one be adjusted?

Thanks, Tim

Quick question about SRs. The Dovo opens really easy, but the vintage has resistance and kinda drags. This means the vintage is just pinned tighter, right? Both are ok, or should one be adjusted?

Yeah, that's typically an indicator of how tightly it's pinned. You have to be careful when re-peening the pivot pin, however, not to crack the scales.

Catching up Tim!

Awesome job with the "Sight Unseen"...really sight unseen as we haven't seen it here yet.
1f615.png
1f60f.png

Great shaves! Straight shave with no First Aid is a win in my book!

And was the video a joke? I get a video no available message.

2018 Shave Count (DE: 214 SV: 8 SR: 6)

Pre Shave-
Warm shower and splash to shave.

Shave-
Dovo SR
Vulfix badger
Mudder Focker soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash

So yesterday was another evening shave. I was really wanting to try that Dovo again, but my previous attempt wasn’t so good. So i ran it on the balsa strop, 30 green passes and 30 red passes. Then to the leather for another 30 passes.

I changed over to the Vulfix brush and loaded for 30 seconds. (I see a pattern of 30’s going on here) Adding more water as I went, I built a really nice lather.

Went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG, and have no drama to report. The shave was better than the previous, but the blade is not there just yet. There was no blood letting and I walked away with another CCS for the win! I think I’ll hit it on the balsa again today. I am now more comfortable with the SR, but my technique still needs work. But I’ll get there.

Wrapped up the shave with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. No matching AS on this one, so I didn’t bother. Everything was right as rain! The shave settled down quickly for a nice post shave feel. I like this RR soap, but will not buy this one again since they can’t keep the AS in stock.Life is good!

Good stuff Tim! Sounds like the balsa treatment improved the edge of the Dovo. A bit more, as you said, should see continued keeness of the edge. Nice write-up!

Nice post Tim. I'm jealous, if I wasn't so lazy or not trust my strop technique and know nothing of honing even though I have that DVD by Lynn Abrams I'd get some of my straights in the mix of my shaves. Congrats

Good stuff Tim! Sounds like the balsa treatment improved the edge of the Dovo. A bit more, as you said, should see continued keeness of the edge. Nice write-up!

Thanks Josh! I was super stoked that it would shave. It won’t hurt it to do more laps on the balsa, right?

I’ve got lapping film to play with now, just don’t have it setup yet.

Looks like a little more practice and EVERYTHING will be "right as rain."
1f60b.png

Yes sir, just a bit more practice and I will be there.

I kinda say “right as rain” half joking and half serious. I will be married 29 years in November. We have weathered the storms and she keeps me sane in a crazy world. She is my lighthouse in the fog. She makes everything right as rain.

Nice post Tim. I'm jealous, if I wasn't so lazy or not trust my strop technique and know nothing of honing even though I have that DVD by Lynn Abrams I'd get some of my straights in the mix of my shaves. Congrats

Don’t hold back Dave, jump on in. If I can do it, anyone can. Everything is just light touch. My strokes are not graceful and they still feel awkward, but I will get there.

We have weathered the storms and she keeps me sane in a crazy world. She is my lighthouse in the fog. She makes everything right as rain.

I can relate! I have one of those too! Though I have not been married nearly as long as you have!

Thanks Josh! I was super stoked that it would shave. It won’t hurt it to do more laps on the balsa, right?

I’ve got lapping film to play with now, just don’t have it setup yet.

No, more laps on the balsa shouldn’t hurt, as long as it’s done properly of course!

Back