The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

So you didn’t like Avon Spicy huh? Do you like Old Spice? Avon Spicy is a clone of the original Shulton formula of OS.

I don’t remember smelling OS ... I know, I know. This one smells like a really heavy powder.

UGH! Don't like the Spicy? And I thought we were friends!
1f61c.png

LOL! I think I’m gonna pass on this one.

If you think that smells powdery, then don’t try Pinaud Clubman! I had to stop using it because it smelled too powdery.

If you think that smells powdery, then don’t try Pinaud Clubman! I had to stop using it because it smelled too powdery.

Good to know, thanks!

This one smells too powdery for me. Man it does have staying power, I shaved last night and still smell it now.

Catching up again Tim!
Great reads and good job with the shavette!
MilkCrate said:
Get a GD #66 to play with and practice honing.
I'm not so sure that is a good razor to learn to hone on. There are professional honers out there that refuse to hone them, just because they can be a PIA to get an edge on. That being said I recon if you can get an edge on GD then you should be good on a good razor.
Straights are a deep, dark hole from which there is no return.

Oh, and I would suggest getting your first traditional straight razor professionally honed. While there are similarities between straights and shavettes, they aren't quite the same. Getting your first straight professionally done is one less variable in the equation. It will also give you an idea what a good edge should feel like. You should definitely learn to hone, but getting experience with traditional straights before learning to hone could help you be successful faster with less blood loss.
+1
I reached out to Larry at WhippedDog about a razor and poorman’s stop.
That is who I got my 1st straight from. I highly recommend this!
So what was the lesson I learned yesterday? When you are bone tired, grab the DE. Life is good!
Excellent advice here!

Thanks Craig! I am definitely getting a razor from Larry. The GD is just to practice honing. It’s cheap so if I trash it, no worries.

Pre Shave-
Warm shower with a water splash to shave.

Shave-
Gillette Goodwill
Astra SP (4)
Vulfix badger
GTB soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
GTB AS

I am still running the same DE blade and loaded it in the Goodwill.

Grabbed the GTB for this rotation and loaded the brush for 20 seconds. I had this one dialed quick and had a great lather going on.

Goodwill in hand, it was go time. I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. I walked away with a BBS shave for the win!

Wrapped up the shave with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A splash of GTB AS and everything was right as rain. The shave settled down quickly for a very nice post shave feel. Life is good!

That Goodwill is a great little shaver it seems! As much as I am not of fan of GTB...it is hard to argue with results!

Back to the grind this week and I am already missing my late morning shaves. This morning I didn't hit snooze and actually had time for a shave. I don't usually mix things up during the week, but for some reason, the Sandalwood was calling me.

Pre Shave-
Warm water splash to shave.

Shave-
Gillette Goodwill
Astra SP (5)
Omega boar
Proraso Red soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Proraso Red AS

The only hardware change today was my brush. I bought that boar at the same time I bought the Proraso and they just seem like a good combination. I have worked the scritch out of it and the backbone is holding nicely. I am looking forward to years of shaving with this brush.

Anyway, grabbed the Proraso and I loaded the brush for 20 seconds. I am still running the brush very wet and liking the results. I had this one dialed in quickly and had a nice, slick lather. Razor in hand, it was time to get down to business. Iwent with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. I walked away with a DFS shave for the win!

Wrapped up the shave with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A splash of Proraso AS and everything was right asrain. The shave settled down quickly for a very nice post shave feel. That Sandalwood smells great this morning. Now I'm ready to tackle traffic. Life is good!

Thanks guys! It just seems like the Proraso and boar brush go hand in hand. They are a winning combo.

Back