The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

Thanks Doug, I was stoked with today’s shave!

The game plan is to keep and use the shavette. Get a GD #66 to play with and practice honing. Then get one vintage SR. I already have a plan to modify my shelf to hold the three.

Straights are a deep, dark hole from which there is no return. You will find yourself with another AD if you aren't careful. Have fun!

Oh, and I would suggest getting your first traditional straight razor professionally honed. While there are similarities between straights and shavettes, they aren't quite the same. Getting your first straight professionally done is one less variable in the equation. It will also give you an idea what a good edge should feel like. You should definitely learn to hone, but getting experience with traditional straights before learning to hone could help you be successful faster with less blood loss.

Straights are a deep, dark hole from which there is no return. You will find yourself with another AD if you aren't careful. Have fun!

Oh, and I would suggest getting your first traditional straight razor professionally honed. While there are similarities between straights and shavettes, they aren't quite the same. Getting your first straight professionally done is one less variable in the equation. It will also give you an idea what a good edge should feel like. You should definitely learn to hone, but getting experience with traditional straights before learning to hone could help you be successful faster with less blood loss.

I was afraid it might be a very deep rabbit hole. And I’ve been kinda back and forth on whether to peek in.

I reached out to Larry at WhippedDog about a razor and poorman’s stop. Grabbed the GD off the bay for honing practice and I’ll have the shavette. I plan on staying right there and keeping my AD at bay. That should give me minimal kit to work with.

I have a dremel to get after the GD. Also have a piece of heavy glass for a honing base. Think I’ll go lapping film, instead of stone, to keep expenses down. Anyway, it sounds good on paper, as they say.

Lapping film is a great place to start. Some guys get such good edges with films that they never use anything else.

Pre Shave-
Warm shower and a water splash to shave.

Shave-
Personna Shavette (5)
Vulfix badger
Mudder Focker soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Thayers WH w/ lemon

Shave #5 is in the books and I learned another lesson yesterday. I worked outside on a car, all day long. Wrapped up the day with a late shower and shave.

The Mudder Focker built a great lather rather quickly. But no matter how much water I threw at it, it felt dry with a razor on it. I also know that I was dehydrated and that may have been a factor.

I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG. And I did struggle with all the passes. The razor would stop and catch, but I never drew blood. I’m pretty sure I had my angle off at times also. I walked away from this shave with a CCS for the draw.

Wrapped up the shave with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A splash of Thayers HW w/ lemon and everything was right as rain. I’m pretty sure it was, I was too tired to say otherwise. The shave settled down quickly for a decent post shave feel.

So what was the lesson I learned yesterday? When you are bone tired, grab the DE. Life is good!

Catching up. Too true, while learning the straight you mind needs to be focused on it. Sounds like you're doing well otherwise though.

I think KJ reported his What the Puck soap was on the dry side also. Wonder if they are the same soap base.

They are very different.

Well then...nothing to see here...carry on.
1f60e.png

Don, this one was all me. I think I had too much product. I threw a bunch of water at it, but apparently not enough. I’ve had it slicker before.

Another busy day yesterday, so I went with the evening shave.

Pre Shave-
Warm shower and water splash to shave.

Shave-
Gillette SS (‘56)
Omega boar
Proraso Red soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Proraso Red AS

Packed up the shavette for a bit and thought I would give this SS some attention. Went with a 20 second load on the Proraso and it dialed in quick. I was goofing with adding water and got it nice and sloppy slick.

Grabbed the SS and it was time to get down to business. I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG. I had no drama to report from this shave. It was effortless and very enjoyable. I walked away with a BBS for the win!

Wrapped up the shave with a splash of water, a quick towel dry and a splash of Proraso Red AS. And you know it ... everything was right as rain. The shave settled down quickly for a great post shave feel. That Proraso Sandlewood is some great smelling stuff. Life is good!

Glad you had a great shave Tim! Any sandalwood in my boat is a great smelling shave!

Mixing it up again for random shave weekend.

Pre Shave-
Warm shower and water splash to shave.

Shave-
Gillette SS (3)
Omega boar
Proraso White soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash

Avon Spice AS

I picked up Proraso White at TJ MAXX awhile back and hadn’t used it yet, so ... I paired it with Avon Spice that I had also picked up awhile back at a thrift store.

Went with a 20 second load on the Proraso. Got it dialed in quick and it was slick..

Grabbed the SS and it was time to get down to business again. I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG. Again I had no drama to report from this shave. It was effortless and very enjoyable. I also walked away with a BBS for the win! This ‘56 is a fun razor and you can make quick work of a shave.

Wrapped up the shave with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A splash of the Avon Spice AS and everything was right as rain. The shave settled down quickly for a great post shave. I couldn’t place the smell of the White, but it wasn’t bad. As for the Avon Spice, it’s not me. Into the PIF bin for this one. Life is good!

So you didn’t like Avon Spicy huh? Do you like Old Spice? Avon Spicy is a clone of the original Shulton formula of OS.

Back