The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

Real good question, I guess it’s just a curiosity. I do get really great, effortless shaves with my DE’s.

Wow! Great couple of shaves with the Barber's Blade. Sounds like it went MUCH better than what I did last week!

Thanks Don. I was stoked that I didn’t draw blood. After watching your video I realized I am really slow at it and I think it’s going to take a bit before I get my technique down.

Woohoo, another late morning shave!

Pre Shave-
Warm water splash to shave.

Shave-
Personna Shavette (3)
Vulfix badger
Proraso Wood & Spice soap (sample)

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Proraso Wood & Spice ASB (sample)

Ok, shave #3 on the shavette. Kept it in the Proraso family and used the last bit of Wood & Spice that I had.

So here we go! Loaded up the Proraso and kept throwing water at it. It dialed in pretty quick and had a good consistency. It took awhile again, but I managed the first pass WTG on my face and neck. I skipped the XTG and went ATG on my face and neck. This is where I found my first gotcha. I felt it and stopped; gave it a minute to wait for blood. None came so I carried on. Wrapped up that pass and wanted to try WTG again. Lathered up again and that’s when that gotcha stung like a paper cut. Got through that pass just a bit quicker. I guess I’m using a light enough touch, but my angle and technique needs lots of work.

Wrapped up the shave with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A splash of Proraso Wood & Spice ASB and everything was right as rain. The shave settled down quickly for an nice post shave feel, except for the stubble.

Today was a better day as far as hair reduction goes. I had less stubble when everything was said and done. Life is good!

Thanks! My confidence is building, now I just need to get my technique down.

You and me both brother...umm...well minus the confidence part with me!
1f60f.png

You and me both brother...umm...well minus the confidence part with me!
1f60f.png

I have no doubt you’ll get it down in short order. Your technique looks cleaner than mine. That razor needs more photo ops too.

I went ahead and bought one of those $4 Gold Dollar razors on the bay. Now I need to get lapping film and I can practice honing. After I get the shavette down, the straight should be easier.

I went ahead and bought one of those $4 Gold Dollar razors on the bay. Now I need to get lapping film and I can practice honing.

I think you need to do some grinding on those before you can hone them. If I remember right, you need to remove part of the shoulder for it to lay correctly in order to hone.

Heh, ya skip that sissy ole XTG pass and go right for the ATG!

You know I went with a late morning shave again.

Pre Shave-
Warm water splash to shave.

Shave-
Personna Shavette (4)
Vulfix badger
Tet-A-Tet cream

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Avon Oland AS

Shave #4 and I may have rounded a corner. Threw some of this new to me cream in my bowl and got after it. This is my first use of this cream, that I received from a PIF. Ran the brush a bit wet, which is my new normal. This cream just exploded and built a great lather really quick. I should have snapped a pic of this lather.

Feeling more comfortable with this razor, I sped up the first pass WTG on my face and neck. Found my first gotcha on the left side of my neck. This was another paper cut with no blood. I brought my XTG pass back in (thanks Dave) and on the right side of my neck, I found my next gotcha. This one drew blood, but didn’t seem deep, so I kept shaving. I then went ATG on my face and neck. I find I do better right handed on the left side of my neck, so I may just stick to right handed all the time. By the third pass and rinse, that weeper had stopped bleeding.

Wrapped up the shave with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A splash of Avon Oland and everything was right as rain. Well, except for the sting from that weeper. The shave settled down quickly for a very nice post shave feel.

Today was a great shave! I need to improve on the jawline and around the adam’s apple. But today I managed a DFS for the win! I hope I can do this again tomorrow. Life is good!

Sounds like you’re getting used to the shavette. I love my Wecks which are very similar. The blades definitely calm down after a few shaves, so you’re getting right to the good stuff!

Glad you’re liking the cream. I loved it too, I was just never reaching for creams and stopped using it.

Sounds like you’re getting used to the shavette. I love my Wecks which are very similar. The blades definitely calm down after a few shaves, so you’re getting right to the good stuff!

Glad you’re liking the cream. I loved it too, I was just never reaching for creams and stopped using it.

Yeah, the blade does feel a bit tamer. I am a soap and face lather guy, but that cream is great. Thanks again!

Great shave and pic. Keep going with the shavette. You are doing great.

Thanks Doug, I was stoked with today’s shave!

The game plan is to keep and use the shavette. Get a GD #66 to play with and practice honing. Then get one vintage SR. I already have a plan to modify my shelf to hold the three.

Back