The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

Still cruising along with the Proraso.

Pre Shave-
Warm shower and water splash to shave.

Shave-
Gillette Goodwill
Astra SP (6)
Omega boar
Proraso Red soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Proraso Red AS

Grabbed the Proraso and I loaded the Omega for 20 seconds again. Dialed in quickly and had a nice, slick lather.

I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. This time I walked away with a BBS shave for the win! This is one nice shaving razor!

Wrapped up the shave with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A splash of Proraso AS and everything was right as rain. As expected, the shave settled down quickly for a very nice post shave feel.

Today is my short week, so one more day to go. Life is good!

Great Shave Tim!
I'm leaving today for a 1 day TDY and then travel back Friday. A nice chance of pace.

Wrapped up the work week with a morning shave.

Pre Shave-
Warm water splash to shave.

Shave-
Gillette Goodwill
Astra SP (7)
Omega boar
Proraso Red soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Proraso Red AS

Stuck with the same routine today, but had to speed my shave up due to time. Grabbed the Proraso and I loaded the Croap for 20 seconds again. Dialed it in quickly and got right to it.

Hurriedly I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. This time I walked away with a DFS for the win! You can really motor this razor around like Nascar.

Wrapped up the shave with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A splash of the AS and everything was right as rain. Again, the shave settled down quickly for a very nice post shave feel. Life is good!

Got an email notice that my sight unseen and poorman’s strop is shipping today. So it should hopefully be here early next week.

Nice shave Tim. You got me feeling I need to give my Goodwill a go again. I do enjoy it and the history. Congrats on the strop coming. Looking forward to that journey for you.

Thanks Dave!

Aside from the design, I was also looking for that razor because of the backstory. I really didn’t have a desire for a modern razor. So I ended up with a DE razor from each decade (1920-1976). Well, actually 2 from the “dirty 30’s”. If only these razors could tell stories. It’s a great shave, very smooth and relaxing.

That sight unseen razor from Larry, I think will be vintage too. Can’t wait to get that kit. But it’s like waiting on Christmas, grrrr ?

Went ahead and started my random shave weekend today. And went with a late morning shave, so it was a double win.

Pre Shave-

Shave-
Personna shavette
Omega boar
Stirling Ben Franklin soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Stirling Ben Franklin AS

Kinda stoked that my SR is on the way and thought I would break out the shavette again.

Hit the Ben Franklin and loaded for 25 seconds, but looking back I should have stopped at 20. I threw a bunch of water at it and had a great lather. Never did break it and had a ton of lather.

I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. This time I walked away with a CCS for the win! I was a bit shaky this morning, so I didn’t do as well as I wanted. No blood loss, but maybe less coffee before my next shave.

Wrapped up the shave with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A splash of the AS and everything was right as rain. The shave settled down quickly for a very nice post shave feel.

Overall, I like this soap/AS and keep coming back to it. There is a cedar note in the AS that I am not crazy about. Cedar is for moth proofing and fence posts. Grrrrrrrrr. Anyway, it fades quickly so there is that. Life is good!

Ugh. That is one scent I cannot do. I had a sample of it, and couldn't even finish it. And that's one of those weird ones that I thought I'd like when reading the scent notes, but when it is all together it's a NoGo!

Glad it was a great shave! I am always interested when someone talks about this scent!

You know I went with a late morning shave again today. I also went back to a setup I used last week.

Pre Shave-

Shave-
Personna Shavette (7)
Vulfix badger
Tet-A-Tet cream

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Avon Oland AS

Shave #7 on the shavette and I did better today by shaving before I had too much coffee. I face lather, so this bowl thing is a bit different and is ok, in moderation.

The Tet-A-Tet is a nice cream. It builds a fast, slick lather and has a nice clean scent. I got after it with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. Today I walked away with a DFS for the win! I don’t know how long the blades are supposed to last, but I know the edge is not near as sharp as it was. I see a trip to Sally’s in my near future.

Wrapped up the shave with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A splash of Avon Oland and everything was right as rain. The shave settled down quickly for a very nice post shave feel.

Today was a great shave! But I still need to improve on the jawline and around the adam’s apple. I know that will come with more practice. I also picked up a smoky note in the AS today. At least that’s what it smelled like. But my sniffer doesn’t work right, so what do I know. I’m kinda digging the shavette, looks like it’s a keeper. Life is good!

Back