The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

I've never heard of that shaving cream. Always nice to hear about something new (to me, at least).

Great shaves Tim!

Glad to hear the sight unseen is on the way!

FYI don't be discouraged if it doesn't look great to start with. Mine really cleaned up nice!

Good shave on the Shavette Tim! After the blood bath with mine...I was a little hesitant to pick it up again. But you have inspired me to get back on it! I just need to work through it and improve my shaves!

Good shave on the Shavette Tim! After the blood bath with mine...I was a little hesitant to pick it up again. But you have inspired me to get back on it! I just need to work through it and improve my shaves!

I was hesitant just to try it. I was actually inspired by your video to just keep plugging along until I got it. I just went slow and stayed focused. I’m still kinda slow, but I’ll get there.

That’s a sweet looking razor you have. You have to keep it in service.

Wrapping up my random shave weekend. The only change I made today was the cream.

Pre Shave-
Warm water splash to shave.

Shave-
Personna Shavette (8)
Vulfix badger
Dr Harris Windsor cream

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Avon Oland AS

The Windsor is a nice cream and has a great scent. It built a lather faster than my cream yesterday. I didn’t have it quite wet enough for the shavette today, but it would have been fine for the DE.

I got after it with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. Today I walked away with another DFS for the win! My cream looked good, but was not as slick as I would have liked. I did have a couple of gotchas that were bloodless cuts.

Wrapped up the shave with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A splash of Avon Oland and everything was right as rain. Well ... except for the gotchas, they stung. The shave settled down quickly for a very nice post shave feel.

Today was a great shave! And I did better on the jawline and around the adam’s apple. I think I’m doing ok for the short time I’ve been using it.

Usps says my SR should be here tomorrow. Most exciting! Life is good!

Forgot to put my side notes in that last post. A few days ago, the AC went out in our car. It’s only 5 years old, but those things happen. No AC in Texas heat is not good. Was checking on that and it looks like it’s the AC clutch. Ok ... not too bad.

But while troubleshooting that, I found what sounds like a rod knocking. So ... looks like we are car shopping now. Grrrrrrrrrrr!

The game plan was to find a cheap commuter car, possibly even used. Well the wife found one she really wanted and it’s not as inexpensive as where we started looking.

She doesn’t ask for much. And she’s managed to put up with me for 29 years. So ... we’ll see if the salesman and I can get on the same page.

I was hesitant just to try it. I was actually inspired by your video to just keep plugging along until I got it. I just went slow and stayed focused. I’m still kinda slow, but I’ll get there.

That’s a sweet looking razor you have. You have to keep it in service.
It's definitely staying in the rotation!

Forgot to put my side notes in that last post. A few days ago, the AC went out in our car. It’s only 5 years old, but those things happen. No AC in Texas heat is not good. Was checking on that and it looks like it’s the AC clutch. Ok ... not too bad.

But while troubleshooting that, I found what sounds like a rod knocking. So ... looks like we are car shopping now. Grrrrrrrrrrr!

The game plan was to find a cheap commuter car, possibly even used. Well the wife found one she really wanted and it’s not as inexpensive as where we started looking.

She doesn’t ask for much. And she’s managed to put up with me for 29 years. So ... we’ll see if the salesman and I can get on the same page.

Yeah...get rid of that car before you it just stops running altogether. I know it is counter-intuitive...but sometimes a more expensive car is the best value.

I completely agree on cost vs value. I just found it amusing that the Mrs started off with dirt cheap, possibly used for me to drive to work.

Then she found one she wanted and our mission changed. But like I said, she doesn’t ask for much. So it’s all good.

Catching up Tim.... well at least with the last couple of posts. Good Stuff

I managed to get up early enough to shave this morning and I switched into a new weekly rotation. I'm kicking it off with another classic.

Pre Shave-
Warm water splash to shave.

Shave-
Gillette Goodwill
Astra SP (7)
Vie Long horsehair
Tabac soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Tabac AS

I am still running the same blade and razor from last week. I usually pitch the blade and grab new for the start of a new week. However, I had read that some people are getting 20+ shaves on a Astra SP and I'm kinda curious how many shaves I can get out of this one. And for the rotation this week, I grabbed (key dramatic music) ... Tabac.

I also grabbed the horsehair and ran it my new normal ... wet. I loaded the brush for 20 seconds and I'm pretty sure I can dial it back even more. I had a great lather going on and slopped that stuff everywhere. It was a nice, slick lather. I've had a bit of trouble with this brush, and how it lathers, in the past. However, I think it's coming along nicely now.

I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. I walked away with a DFS shave for the win! I was real close to BBS, but I must have had my angle off in just a couple of spots.

Wrapped up the shave with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A splash of Tabac AS and everything was right as rain. The shave settled down quickly for an nice post shave feel. Great way to start the day and a new week. Life is good!

Nice shave! Even if you will stink like Tabac!

Don probably likes the Veg. Tabac rules!
1f60e.png

Back