The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

Yesterday I switched into a new weekly rotation and broke out a classic.

Pre Shave-
Warm water splash to shave.

Shave-
Gillette Old Type
Astra SP (8)
Generic badger
Tabac soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Tabac AS

I am still running the same blade and razor, but will probably switch those out this evening. So for the rotation this week, I grabbed ... Tabac.

I also grabbed` the generic badger and ran it wet. I think I have adjusted my water level to almost the Marco method level ... almost. I loaded the brush for 40 seconds and found that the time can be dialed way back. I had a great lather going on and slopped that stuff everywhere. I think I had enough for my 3 pass shave + another shave. And I could have probably shaved the dog with the remaining lather. It was a nice, slick lather.

Old Type in hand, it was go time. I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. I did try and make a subtle change on my passes, but it did not result in any significant change in my shave. So that change is not relevant. I walked away with a DFS shave for the win!

Wrapped up the shave with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A splash of Tabac AS and everything was right as rain. The shave settled down quickly for an nice post shave feel. Life is good!

I loaded the brush for 40 seconds and found that the time can be dialed way back. I had a great lather going on and slopped that stuff everywhere. I think I had enough for my 3 pass shave + another shave. And I could have probably shaved the dog with the remaining lather. It was a nice, slick lather.
That's the way to do it! Gotta use soap up to feel justified in buying more soap!

You heathens really must give Tabac a try! It is a wet shaver right of passage... or something like that...
1f60b.png

A lot of you guys love Tabac! I just can't get behind the scent .
I guess I just really like floral scents.

I guess I just really like floral scents.

Oh no, it's not a floral thing...I like floral scents. It's a sweetness thing...I think. I just don't like the scent. But more importantly, my wife doesn't like the scent.

I used Tabac the other day.... I consider it the "ol' reliable" in the den. Also, it brings back a lot of memories thru the wet shaving journey since it was one of the first "premium soaps" in the den. ?

Good shave Tim!

I also enjoy the soap and scent, the missus however, not as much. I have it securely secured in a fully closed tub until I need it.

Pre Shave-
Warm water splash to shave.

Shave-
Gillette Tech
Voskhod (1)
Generic badger
Tabac soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Tabac AS

Switched up razors to the fat handled Tech. Also found another Voskhod, so I loaded that up too. Kept the same routine with the badger but loaded the brush for 20 seconds last night. It still had a great lather that dialed quickly and was slick.

Tech at the ready, I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. I walked away with a BBS shave for the win!

Wrapped up the shave with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. Again a splash of Tabac AS and everything was right as rain. The shave settled down quickly for an very nice post shave feel. Oh yes, life is good!

Despite my feelings for Tabac...you make that shave sound comfortable and relaxing!

Despite my feelings for Tabac...you make that shave sound comfortable and relaxing!

Don in spite of the subtlety of my posts, that shave last night was truely AWESOME! Everything clicked ... everything. The only way that shave could have possibly been better would be if I was listening to Stevie Ray's cover of Little Wing or maybe Zeppelin's Kashmire.

On the Tabac: I have a small mix of artisan and classics soaps, but they are all new to me. Given my short time with DE shaving, I am playing catchup. That is one of the reasons that I have Tabac, I had to give it a shot. I know it's a polarizing scent but it's kinda growing on me and I don't hate it. When I first smelled it, I smelled an old hair spray called Aqua Net. I thought, well crap I bought it and now I have to use it. Had the wife smell it and she liked it. Now, I smell heavy floral (very heavy), but the wife smells something else (not floral). It's weird how our senses work.

Anyway, back to the shave. Really ... everything just clicked last night. I've had slick lathers and for some reason, those mostly come easy. Guess that's just the soaps. I've had ok to awesome post shave feel too. But last night, I accidentally found cushion. Before last night, I couldn't understand what people were prattling on about. The concept didn't make sense to me, until I found it. Now I get it ... I GET IT! Man that was a great shave!

Soooooo ... all of that to say. Yes, it was a comfortable and relaxing shave.

Back