The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

Nice shave Tim. My sinuses are messing with me too since I quit my Zyrtec to eliminate side effects. Allergies Arrrrgggghh

A lot of people really like that Hungarian Lavender by Mike's. I haven't tried a Mike's soap in probably at least three years...maybe longer (holy cow...I just realized that come December I will have been wet shaving for four years...and my wife said that this was going to be a passing fad for me...yeah right!). I thought it was pretty average then...but I am thinking about giving it another try.

FYI for a lot of you guys with allergies. Xyzal is a really good med to take. I think possible side effects are minimal...and they are likely to come out with a generic very shortly (actually there already is one...it just has to get licensed for OTC use). I was getting it cheap when I could get it prescribed to me and so I hoarded it. I have about enough to last me about a year with daily use. Anyway...it worked great for me. The trick is that you have to take it before you go to bed. It initially might make you drowsy...but wears off quick. It doesn't effect your waking hours if you take it at night. Just my two cents! Hope the allergies go away for you guys!

Also a fellow allergy sufferer. I’m on generic Zyrtec. I did Claritin for a long time but at some point it just stopped working for me. Thankfully the days where I’m totally debilitated are few and far between.

A lot of people really like that Hungarian Lavender by Mike's. I haven't tried a Mike's soap in probably at least three years...maybe longer (holy cow...I just realized that come December I will have been wet shaving for four years...and my wife said that this was going to be a passing fad for me...yeah right!). I thought it was pretty average then...but I am thinking about giving it another try.

FYI for a lot of you guys with allergies. Xyzal is a really good med to take.

I haven’t been wet shaving a year yet, I started in November. So I may be easily impressed with all the soaps, AS and scents. I also have fair hair and think that has really helped get adjusted without much facial trama.

The first DE that I had, had alignment issues and I didn’t know at first. First week, I nicked a mole and got bad razor burn. The second week I also had bad razor burn. I was telling my stepdad and he asked, “How can you cut yourself with a safety razor?” I felt stupid, but I think it helped up my game.

After that, I bought a vintage Slim, dialed it in and never looked back.

I’ll have to look into that Xyzal.

Also a fellow allergy sufferer. I’m on generic Zyrtec. I did Claritin for a long time but at some point it just stopped working for me. Thankfully the days where I’m totally debilitated are few and far between.

Claritin worked great for me, then it stopped working.

Great shave Tim!

I suffer for allergies also, but not as much as I used to years ago. I rotate between a Kirkland generic Zyrtec and Claritin.

Pre Shave-
Warm shower followed by a water splash to shave.

Shave-
Gillette Old Type
Astra SP (7)
RazoRock synth
RazoRock Mudder Focker soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash

Yesterday I used the RazoRock brush to wrap up my random kit weekend. I also ran the brush wetter. I loaded the brush for 25 seconds and by 15 it was lathering well on the puck. It cranked out some seriously slick lather.

Grabbed the Old Type and it was time to take care of business. I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. Tonight I walked away with a BBS shave for the win!

Wrapped up the shave with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. No splash of AS with this one either. Yes, yes, YES, everything was right as rain! There really is something to that Fullers Earth hype. The shave settled down quickly for an awesome post shave feel. Whenever the AS is back in stock, I will be buying it. Life is good

Yeah, my sinuses can be pretty bad. I may try some sinus spray and sniff that soap again. I don’t think I know what Lavender smells like, so I was curious to smell it. Mike’s dialed in pretty quick and was a good shave.
What brand of nasal spray? What scents did you get? How the post sniff feel on that? Do they have samples?

Sorry...been a while since I've made a shaving purchase and I'm getting twitchy.

What brand of nasal spray? What scents did you get? How the post sniff feel on that? Do they have samples?

Sorry...been a while since I've made a shaving purchase and I'm getting twitchy.

On the spray, I have flonas, afrin and some kinda script. I rotate through those. I didn’t get to redo my sniff test yet. I think I got side tracked with honey do’s. Or it could just be my attention span ... squirrel!

On the scent, I just have the lavender.

I’m not sure about samples. I do have some sample tins and can send you some. Just PM me your address.

On the spray, I have flonas, afrin and some kinda script. I rotate through those. I didn’t get to redo my sniff test yet. I think I got side tracked with honey do’s. Or it could just be my attention span ... squirrel!

On the scent, I just have the lavender.

I’m not sure about samples. I do have some sample tins and can send you some. Just PM me your address.
I was just making a joke about sampling nasal sprays and getting them in different scents.

Back