The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

Try counting in your head as you load. Aim for a set number. 20-30 seconds usually works great for me. Some need a good 60 seconds, and a few can get by with 10. But always err on the side of too much, lol.

I find myself going short on camera because I’m trying to get on with the video, but I also need to pay more attention so I can ensure I’m getting the best lather.

Great tip, thanks!

Good shave Tim! Enjoy your 4th!

Try counting in your head as you load. Aim for a set number. 20-30 seconds usually works great for me. Some need a good 60 seconds, and a few can get by with 10. But always err on the side of too much, lol.

I find myself going short on camera because I’m trying to get on with the video, but I also need to pay more attention so I can ensure I’m getting the best lather.

Yea I’m working on it. I’m trying to get it in my head that’s it’s not necessarily wasteful to do so when it comes to shaving. I don’t bloom my soaps either like some of you guys do, just a moist brush, almost all of the lather build is done on my face.

Good tips!

Good Shave Tim! It's always nice when you figure out a new technique that works for you!

GearNoir said:
I don’t bloom my soaps either like some of you guys do, just a moist brush, almost all of the lather build is done on my face.

Blooming is not necessary for softer soaps, but can really help harder soaps. All it does is help soften the soap to make loading easier and quicker. Plus, if you need to add water to your brush, you can use the bloom water, which has some soap in it. That will also help build the lather and is not wasteful.

Catching up Tim!

Great reads and shaves!

A whole week of GTB? That's going to be one hairy chest by Friday!
I have extra blades
1f601.png

Pre Shave-
Warm water splash to shave.

Shave-
Gillette Old Type
Astra SP (4)
Vulfix Badger
Ghost Town Barber soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Ghost Town Barber AS Splash

Another great day! The sun is shining and I woke up breathing. What more could you ask for? Today was a brunch shave day. Woke up early-ish, but had to take a horse to the vet first thing.

Today I ran my brush a little wetter than normal again. I loaded the brush for 25 seconds and it cranked out some really awesome lather. I am going to shorten my load time a bit more tomorrow and see how it goes. Loaded up the Old Type and it was time to get down to business. I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. Today I walked away with another BBS shave for the win!

Wrapped up the shave with a splash of water, quick towel dry and followed this up with a splash of AS. Everything was right as rain. The shave settled down quickly for a great post shave feel. Another great shave, life is good!

Pre Shave-
Warm water splash to shave.

Shave-
Gillette Old Type
Astra SP (5)
Vulfix Badger
Ghost Town Barber soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Ghost Town Barber AS Splash

It’s a great, but bittersweet day! It’s the last day of my GTB rotation. Today was another brunch shave day, just because I could.

I ran my brush a little wetter than normal again. It may be my new normal now. I loaded the brush for 20 seconds and it still cranked out some really awesome lather. I think I’ll hold what I’ve got on this . Loaded up the Old Type and it was time to get down to business. I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. Today I walked away with another BBS shave for the win!

Wrapped up the shave with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. Followed this up with a splash of AS and everything was right as rain. The shave settled down quickly for a great post shave feel and another great shave. Life is good!

It makes me smile every time I see the phrase "and everything was right as rain". Nice read Doug and hopefully this will come up in rotation again soon!

Pre Shave-
Warm shower followed by a water splash to shave.

Shave-
Gillette Old Type
Astra SP (6)
Vie Long horsehair
Mike’s Hungarian Lavender soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash

Broke out the horsehair for random kit weekend. Also trying Mike’s Hungarian Lavender for the first time. It’s a soap I picked up in a PIF. Funny thing is I thought it smelled like saddle soap in the tin, so did the Mrs. But I gave it a shot anyway. I guess my sinuses are messed up, I really couldn’t smell the Lavender. But the Mrs said it smelled good when lathered, so maybe a keeper.

I ran the brush wetter again. I loaded the brush for 40 seconds and it cranked out some slick lather. I think I can dial my load time back on this one. Grabbed the Old Type and it was time to get down to business. I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. Tonight I walked away with a DFS shave for the win!

Wrapped up the shave with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. No splash of AS with one, but everything was still right as rain. The shave settled down quickly for a good post shave feel. Life is good!

Right as rain! Outta sight!

Strange that you're getting saddle soap out of the Hungarian Lavender; to my nose it's a pretty straight forward lavender scent. Sounds like you got it working well, however!

Strange that you're getting saddle soap out of the Hungarian Lavender; to my nose it's a pretty straight forward lavender scent. Sounds like you got it working well, however!

Yeah, my sinuses can be pretty bad. I may try some sinus spray and sniff that soap again. I don’t think I know what Lavender smells like, so I was curious to smell it. Mike’s dialed in pretty quick and was a good shave.

Back