The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

Soap is cheap. Load it like ya hate it! Though I hate that saying, I do believe in not scrimping on how much soap is used. We have plenty to go around. Except Chad. Apparently when the big one hits he's planning on surviving on the water in his toilet tank and having enough soap to shave for the next 100 years.

Lmao! I try to load heavy, but I just always unconsciously stop short of it.

Soap is cheap. Load it like ya hate it! Though I hate that saying, I do believe in not scrimping on how much soap is used. We have plenty to go around. Except Chad. Apparently when the big one hits he's planning on surviving on the water in his toilet tank and having enough soap to shave for the next 100 years.

LOL!

On the loading piece, I've found that I over-estimated how long I was loading, and it wasn't until I actually timed myself that I realized that I was coming up about 15-20 seconds shorter of where I thought I was. Once I saw that, it became a lot easier to load long enough.

On the loading piece, I've found that I over-estimated how long I was loading, and it wasn't until I actually timed myself that I realized that I was coming up about 15-20 seconds shorter of where I thought I was. Once I saw that, it became a lot easier to load long enough.

I do need to track that better.

Great shave Tim!
It's good when everything just clicks!

I always have way more lather that I need for a shave. Not that I'm worried about running out of soap anytime soon, nor my son or future grandson for that matter.

Great shave Tim!
It's good when everything just clicks!

I always have way more lather that I need for a shave. Not that I'm worried about running out of soap anytime soon, nor my son or future grandson for that matter.

It doesn’t hurt to plan ahead.

Winding down this weeks rotation. Got in another evening shave last night.

Pre Shave-
Warm shower followed up with a warm water splash.

Shave-
Maggard Rszor MR7
Astra SP
Vie Long horsehair
Stirling Ben Franklin soap

Post Shave-
Warm water rinse
Stirling Ben Franklin AS splash

For the most part, my brushes are broken in well. The boar has alot of miles on it and is really comfortable. The badger broke in rather quickly and the synth doesn't need a break in. That leaves this horsehair tha
t didn't see the usage that the boar did. I am sure that once it is thoroughly broken in, it will be a great brush. It is a soft tipped brush and has plenty of backbone, but can be kinda funny with water. So with that in mind, I am watching my variables a litte more closely.

Making note on my load times now instead of just "winging it". That should help me dial in this and/or any future brush easier. Last night I went with a damp brush that I wrung out and loaded for 20 seconds. I did add a few drops of water to the brush as I was face lathering. After the lather was dialed in, it was time to take care of business. Once again I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. Last night I also walked away with another BBS for the win.

Wrapped everything up with the AS splash and all was right as rain. Post shave was very good as well. Life is good!

Good stuff Tim! What do you think of the Ben Franklin soap? It was a little outside of my wheelhouse.

Good stuff Tim! What do you think of the Ben Franklin soap? It was a little outside of my wheelhouse.

Honestly, I really go back and forth with this soap as far as the scent goes. There are some notes in it that I like, but some I don't. On the puck, the soap has almost a medicinal smell. I did not smell that on the original sample. But I don't get that scent when I lather it. The AS has (at least to my nose) a Cedar smell that I do not like. It's probably a mental thing, but Cedar makes me think of hamster cages. Then it quickly fades into other scents that are better.

It's just alright, but I won't buy it again. Oh man ... now I am so conflicted. Thank goodness free shave weekend is coming up
1f601.png

At the moment, I am trying to talk myself into buying Mudder Focker and PdP #63 to sniff those.

LOL! Yup, I already know what’s coming up next week.

Of course you realize, you will never smell Cedar the same now ?

Keep working on that Vie Long. It took me a few weeks or more to break it in. I might just have to break it out for some shaves next week!

Went back to the Proraso family today and tried the green for the second time.

Pre Shave-
Warm water splash to shave.

Shave-
Maggard Razor MR7
Astra SP (fresh)
Generic badger
Proraso Green soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash

The brush is a cheap generic off the bay. But it’s a lather beastie. Gave it a spa day over a week ago to clean it up. Loaded up and was ready to go. The brush felt coarse for the first time ever. It was strange, but started building lather. It then drew the lather back in. Threw more product and water at it, but the same thing happened again.

I guess it will need several more lathers to right itself. Grabbed the Vulfix for the save.

As to the scent, it’s not too bad. I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. With this setup I walked away with a BBS for the win!

Wrapped up my shave with another splash of water and a quick towel dry. Followed this up with a splash of nothing and everything was right as rain. Just using the soap alone, it had a great post shave feel. I’m gonna had to pick up the AS splash. Life is good!

Interesting on the brush...hopefully it comes around to your way of thinking Doug! Either way, nice shave!

I did something wrong when cleaning that brush. I got sidetracked and left it sitting in Vinegar water too long. Or didn’t get it rinsed out good.

A few more rinses and a dog shampoo later and it had improved last night.

Wrapping up free shave weekend and I stayed with the Proraso Green.

Pre Shave-
Warm water splash to shave.

Shave-
Maggard Razor MR7
Astra SP
Generic badger
Proraso Green soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash

After that last brush fail, I did a little work with the generic badger. A few more thorough rinses and a dog shampoo to see if that would help. So, grabbed it again for this shave and loaded heavy.

I also tried something else different and grabbed a lather bowl. This may be the second time I have used it. Anyway, added water as needed and it built a respectable lather rather quickly.

Grabbed the MR7 and got to it. I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. With this setup I walked away with a another BBS for the win!

Wrapped up my shave with another splash of water and a quick towel dry. No AS splash or ASB and everything was right as rain. The soap does have a great post shave feel. Yup, I’m gonna have to pick up the AS splash. Life is good!

Back