The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

I’ve heard AA Bay Rum described as the best bay rum that’s not really a bay rum lol. Sounds yummy though!

I think the biggest thing is that he doesn’t add the clove. Smells great and the wife liked it the best out of the 3 that I tried. Plus you don’t smell like ham ?

Great shave. I like the Weishi razors, but they can get rough quickly if you aren't careful.

I must not have the angle right on this one. I put in a Voskhod for an evening shave, since we had a special dinner to go to.

Was still not a comfortable shave. Scored a BBS, but the second shave of the day was like the first ... not pleasant. Reminded me of the $1 razor challenge. I really wanted to like the razor. On the plus side, I was clean shaven and smelled of Bay Rum all day/evening long.

Well I was Way Behind! All caught up now Tim!
Great reads, shaves, and pictures!

Wrapped up the day yesterday with a sample I have previously reviewed.

Pre Shave-
Warm shower followed up with a water splash to shave.

Shave-
Gillette Tech
Voskhod
Vulfix badger
Proraso Wood & Spice (sample)

Post Shave-
Warm water rinse
Proraso Wood & Spice ASB (sample)

Pulled the Voskho out of the Weishi and loaded up the Gillette Tech. It’s just a fun, mild mannered razor. Also found the last sample I have in the house. Luckily it had one shave left in it.

Grabbed the Vulfix badger and hit the soap for what was left in it. It lathered up quick and smooth. Got it dialed in and off we went.

Once again I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. Last night I walked away with a BBS. Earlier I had been working in the yard and putting struts on the wife’s car. So this was a great way to end the day.

Wrapped it all up with the ASB and all was right as rain. At some point I am going to buy this combo and add it to the rotation.

Last night I wrapped up the weekend keeping it in the family ... the Proraso family.

Pre Shave-
Warm shower followed up with a warm water splash.

Shave-
Gillette Tech
Voskhod
Omega boar
Proraso Red

Post Shave-
Warm water rinse
Proraso Red AS splash

The Wood & Spice is gone, so I brought out the Red. This was an early addition to my kit and will always have a place on the shelf.

Swapped out the badger for the Omega boar and it was time to get down to business. This boar is a favorite of mine and the Proraso Red has broken it in well. I loaded a bit heavy (on purpose) and threw water at until I got it where I wanted it. It built a great lather and was slick. Got it dialed in and off we went.

Once again I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. Last night I walked away with another BBS. Earlier in the day, I worked on more auto maintenance, finished up yard work and smoked a couple of racks of ribs. So this was a great shave to wrap up the day and end the weekend.

Wrapped it all up with the AS splash and all was right as rain. Post shave was very good as well. I don’t know what else I could add to that ... life is good.

Last night I started a new rotation for the week. It's time to rock the eye patch.

Pre Shave-
Warm shower followed up with a warm water splash.

Shave-
Gillette Tech
Voskhod
Vulfix Badger
AA Bay Rum soap

Post Shave-
Warm water rinse
AA Bay Rum AS splash

I went ahead and kept the Tech, since it's cruising right along with that Voskhod blade. I will probably shelf it on the next free shave weekend.

Swapped the badger back into the rotation. I guess I am just trying to get it broke in good and see if the shedding has stopped. Now that I think about it, I didn't notice any shedding last night. I will be more attentive to that tonight. Again I loaded a bit heavy, on purpose, and threw water at it just to see what it would do. It kept building and building lather. The lather was slick, and I actually had enough for more passes. I need to decrease my load time by a bit on this one. After the lather was dialed in, it was time to take care of business.

Once again I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. Last night I also walked away with another BBS. Wrapped it all up with the AS splash and all was right as rain. Post shave was very good as well. I really like this AS, it has staying power. Grabbed the eye patch and off I went ... life is good!

Great shave Tim! Glad you’re continuing to enjoy the AA.

What Tech are you using?

Tech are so underrated. Everybody wants sharp but a mild razor is so easy to use and effortless. It is like cheating.

Back