The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

Love reading about the enablement, Tim...and GTB is just top stuff, regardless of what KJ thinks..LOL

Love reading about the enablement, Tim...

I was pretty stoked about it. Took’em long enough to come around.

I think the other stepson uses the kit I gave him for decoration. Oh well, I’ll take 50%. Those that know ... know.

It's been a few days since my last update. So far this week I have managed daily morning shaves and it has been great. Well ... not the getting up early instead of hitting the snooze button, but the shaves were great!

Pre Shave-
Warm water splashes to shave.

Shave-
Gillette Old Type
Astra SP Blade
Vulfix Badger
GTB soap

Post Shave-
Warm water rinse
GTB AS splash

Kit in hand, I loaded up and got ready to take on the world. This has been a great combination this week, the Old Type and the Astra SP do deliver. The Astra does not feel as smooth, to me, as the Voskhod on the first shave. But none the less, it settles down quickly and delivers a great shave. I wouldn't be afraid to stock up and run either of these blades.

This Vulfix brush is still shedding a bit and that is starting to bother me. Hopefully it will stop soon. It does build a great lather, so there is that. Backbone has mellowed and it splays well. Went with a 15 second load time and got my lather dialed in quickly. It was nice and slick.

Once again I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. I have recently been reading about 1 and 2 pass BBS shaves, but I am fine with a 3 pass. With this setup I walked away with BBS shaves all week long.

Wrapped everything up with a splash of AS and everything was right as rain. A slight menthol kick and then it settled down with an awesome scent that lingers well. Post shave feel is great also. Shaving in the mornings has allowed me to enjoy the scent that much longer. Life is good!

Glad you found a little time to share. Take care of yourself while you are busy.

Glad you found a little time to share. Take care of yourself while you are busy.

It's been a bit crazy the last two weeks. I am in IT (don't hate) and we were doing several system upgrades with many break/fix issues to resolve. Not fun. But I think the worse is behind us now and today is my Friday ... so it's all good!

Good job with converting your son! Now wait til u guys get into straights.
1f60b.png

Thanks. I bought a hair shaper once (not realizing what it was), thinking I might try that. Never did ... I'm not so sure about a straight.
1f601.png

Had the day off today, so I started my free shave weekend early. I grabbed the Weishi that I mentioned earlier in the week. Also grabbed the eye patch and got down to business.

Pre Shave-
Warm water splashes to shave.

Shave-
Weishi TTO
Astra SP Blade (4)
RazoRock synth
AA Bay Rum

Post Shave-
Warm water rinse
AA Bay Rum AS splash

I’ve heard the Weishi is based on the Gillette SS and I have both. I like the look and feel of the Weishi. The black chrome look is good looking and it’s heavier than the SS. However, it does shave different and it gives a lot of audible feedback (not that there’s anything wrong with that). I think the head geometry is different on this razor.

I used the RazoRock brush and hit the soap for about 15 seconds. I face lather so my lather runs a bit thinner than with a bowl. Today my lather ran a bit thin, but I’m not sure if it was my loading or the brush sucking it up. I’ll dial it in a bit better this coming week.

Once again I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. Today I walked away with a DFS, but I was a little disappointed with that. The shave itself didn’t feel as smooth as my SS. I may have to give this a spin with the Voskhod blade.

Wrapped it all up with the AS splash and all was right as rain. I really like this splash, it has a cologne type scent and longevity. I woke up breathing and got to start the day with a shave. Life is good!

Nice couple oF shaves TI'm. The Vokhods and Astras are two of the three blades ive bought. Both are good blades!

Voskhod blades tend to do the trick on a rough razor...but not always. Nice to see people breaking out the Bay Rum!

You can see from the level in the bottle you’ve been going through the bay rum. I’ve only used mine once and now I’m gun shy because my wife commented how potent it smells.

I’ve heard AA Bay Rum described as the best bay rum that’s not really a bay rum lol. Sounds yummy though!

You can see from the level in the bottle you’ve been going through the bay rum. I’ve only used mine once and now I’m gun shy because my wife commented how potent it smells.

I’ve really been easy on it. I got it and the soap as a PIF. Soap had about 20% left and the splash about 50%. But I will buy it when it runs out.

Back