The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

Your cup runneth over...........with water. I'm gonna start a journal when I get a chance. Haven't done one before so all new to me.

Your cup runneth over...........with water. I'm gonna start a journal when I get a chance. Haven't done one before so all new to me.

Sounds about right.

I haven’t been to the intro section in awhile, to know you were here. Welcome!

Wrapped up Free Shave weekend this morning and stayed with the Miami vibe.

Pre Shave-

Warm water splash.

Shave-

Gillette Black Handle Flair

Astra SP

Vie Long horsehair

Calle Ocho soap

Post Shave-

Warm water rinse

Calle Ocho AS splash

Had a strange lather again today. Loaded the puck twice as long this time. And went so far as too shake my brush out and then wring it. Still no joy. The lather disappeared again, but I had slickness this time. Loaded up a new Astra and got down to business.

I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. Today I walked away with a DFS for the win! Wrapped everything up with the AS splash and all was right as rain.

Post shave is decent and I like the smell. I’ll sit this one to the side for awhile and circle back to it. Life is good!

Strange that you're having so many issues with the Lather Bros. soap...they've generally gotten good reviews from what I've read. Kinda makes me a little wary of them now.

Strange that you're having so many issues with the Lather Bros. soap...they've generally gotten good reviews from what I've read. Kinda makes me a little wary of them now.

I had also read good reviews before I tried it. I was probably off somewhere. And I’ve used it before and had better shaves.

I’ll go back and check my journal and see what brush I used last time. It’s probably my inexperience, but I’ll give it another go this weekend.

Ok, new week ... new rotation. It's been awhile and it's time again to break out the Sandalwood.

Pre Shave-
Warm water splash to shave.

Shave-
Gillette Slim
Astra SP (2)
Omega boar
Proraso Red soap

Post Shave-
Hot water rinse
Proraso Red AS Splash

This morning, I didn't hit snooze ... I actually got up. It was time to start the day, and week, with Proraso Red. This is really the kit that started the journey and has the most mileage on it. Of the few Sandalwoods that I have tried, this is my favorite. And if I had to reduce my kit down to one, this would be the one. It is a well rounded, solid kit.

The Omega has broken in very well and can crank out some awesome lather. That is exactly what it did this morning. I loaded a bit heavy (on purpose), but got it dialed in quickly. I had a great lather going, with the slick that I have come to expect from Proraso. Moved the Astra blade over to this razor and it was go time.

I have the Slim set on 5 and it made short work of the stubble that I had. I have probably mentioned this is another post, but I don't change settings during a shave. It's just set it and forget it. I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. With this setup I walked away with a BBS shave.

Wrapped up my shave with another splash of water and a quick towel dry. Followed this up with an AS splash and everything was right as rain. This AS settles down quickly for a great post shave feel. Awesome way to start the day. Life is good!

Off to a second great start, I scored another morning shave!

Pre Shave-
Warm water splash to shave.

Shave-
Gillette Slim
Astra SP (3)
Omega boar
Proraso Red soap

Post Shave-
Hot water rinse
Proraso Red AS Splash

Ok, this morning, I did hit snooze ... but only once. It was time to start another day with Proraso Red. You know the kit. I really do enjoy these vintage razors.

The Omega once again did it's thing and cranked out some awesome lather. I loaded a bit heavy again and got it dialed in quickly. I don't know what it was this morning, but I was really digging that lather ... the scent, consistancy, slickness, everything. Razor loaded up and ready for business. I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. With this setup I walked away with another BBS for the win!

Wrapped up my shave with another splash of water and a quick towel dry. Followed this up with an AS splash and everything was right as rain. It's going to be another great day. Life is good!

Back