The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

Don, I thought I would circle back on this with a little more info on the Ben Franklin. I hope I don't muddy the water up too much. I think this scent could be a polarizing one and I would recommend a sample first. My nose sucks, due to smoking (don't hate) and bad sinuses. But I will try and describe it better.

The strongest note that I smell, in the tub, is like a menthol smell. But I don't think there is any type of menthol in it. I don't smell that when it lathers, it has more of a mellow spice kind of smell (maybe Frankincense, nutmeg or something). It doesn't have a menthol smell or feel during or post shave. Nothing else really jumps out.

On the AS, the first dominant note to my nose is Pine. I don't even know if it has Pine in it. That fades rather quickly and then mellows out to a spice scent. It's really kinda weird it starts with notes that I wouldn't buy a soap for, those fade quickly, and then to a mellow spice smell. And wraps up with a kind of root beer-ish kinda smell that is not sickly sweet.

I guess that's why I'm kinda on the fence about the scent. I don't hate it, but I don't absolutely have to have it either. It's different.

Honestly, I think the scent is kind of up my alley. I'm not a huge Stirling fan (ducks rocks being thrown), don't get me wrong...I think it's a solid soap...I just don't think it is as good as what others think. But the scent sound kind of good in my opinion.

Honestly, I think the scent is kind of up my alley. I'm not a huge Stirling fan (ducks rocks being thrown), don't get me wrong...I think it's a solid soap...I just don't think it is as good as what others think. But the scent sound kind of good in my opinion.

No rocks from me. Ageed Stirling is solid, but not top tier.

Well I just found the Stubble Buster website and they have samples. This may not end well...

Awhile back I had PIF’d my stepson a couple of DE razors and blades. Told him to practice with those and let me know what he thought. Last night he brought one back because it chewed him up pretty good. He got a good shave with the Ming Shi, so I told him to keep it.

So last night he came over and asked about soaps and was ready to switch from canned creams. I showed him different brush types and soaps. Also showed him how I lather and shave.

Sent him home with:

RazoRock MR11 (not the one from Charles)

Voskhod tuck

Stirling Barbershop soap and AS

New boar brush

He texted me tonight. Ladies and gentlemen, we have another convert!

Life is good!

Nice, my dad and the guys I work with couldn’t grow a beard if their life depended on it. So I haven’t been successful in converting anyone yet.

Well I just found the Stubble Buster website and they have samples. This may not end well...

Please let us know! The next order I make from Groomatorium I will likely include a Stubble Buster soap and aftershave...$9 and $10 respectively...even if it's bad...it's still cheap to find out.

Started out thinking it would be a Bay Rum week. Last week was pretty rough at work and I know this week will be also. With that in mind, I set aside the eye patch and grabbed the six gun. Had a visit with the Ghost Town Barber on the way too work.

Pre Shave-
Warm water splash to shave.

Shave-
Gillette Old Type
Astra SP Blade
Vulfix Badger
GTB soap

Post Shave-
Warm water rinse

GTB AS splash

It was time to run this setup again. Grabbed my kit, loaded up and got ready to take on the world. This brush is still shedding a bit, but builds a great lather. Backbone is decent and it splays well. Got my lather dialed in quickly and it was slick.

I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. With this setup I walked away with a BBS shave. This razor will hold your attention. It’s not as forgiving as later Techs, but it shaves great.

Wrapped everything up with a splash of AS and everything was right as rain. A slight Menthol kick and then it settled down with an awesome scent that lingers well. Post shave feel is great also.

Time to saddle up and ride into town. Life is good!

Please let us know! The next order I make from Groomatorium I will likely include a Stubble Buster soap and aftershave...$9 and $10 respectively...even if it's bad...it's still cheap to find out.

True, a very agreeable price point. I’ll let you know when I pull the trigger on those samples.

I set aside the eye patch and grabbed the six gun.

This made me smile!
1f601.png

Catching up Tim, all good reads and I am in the same boat at Don, on Stirling, Great but not mind blowing like some others.

Back