The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

Shave Count (DE: 285 SR: 209)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Gillette Old Type
Edison blade (2)
Semogue Boar
Proraso Red soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Proraso Red AS

The process-
Hump day! Had to leave a few minutes early for Dr appointment. Just the usual checkup and script refills. But I had to speed the shave up and stayed with a DE. I was wanting to try the new boar brush today and halfway expected it to be terrible on the first shave. Surprisingly it was not. Soft(ish) tips, built and released lather well and had just a bit of splay. That splay will come around a bit more with use. But a good first outing. As for the Proraso, what can I say? Oh ... I know. It’s a good soap! I have no probs lathering and getting it slick. It is slick enough to shave with a straight. And that scent? Awesome!

Went with my standard three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG and once again I have no drama to report. Another nice, quick easy peasy and BBS for the win! Gotta love it.

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A glug of the AS and everything was right as rain! That’s right baby ... and I hit it twice. There is just something about this scent, simple and great smelling. Who smells awesome? I do!

Home front-
Busy work week, pretty laid back at home. Just one more sleep and a wake, then it’s my weekend. Life is good!

Having tried the Weck now and knowing you to be a dedicated SR guy, I think you’d like it! You should sign up for John’s pass around!

What a day! Who doesn't love going to see their doctor? I kid, even I don't like it.

Shave Count (DE: 286 SR: 209)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Gillette Old Type
Edison blade (3)
Semogue Boar
Proraso Red soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Proraso Red AS

The process-
TGITHMY! You know what I'm talking about. I'm a little late in joining the "ABC" theme week, but I'll see what I can do. Today's shave is brought to you by the letter "D", as in (D)ay-hum I smell good! Sorry, I don't have a soap that starts with the letter D. So I substituted with the same setup as yesterday because it was mighty fine. Same prep, kit and results as yesterday. The new brush is working well and Proraso is ... well Proraso.

Went with my standard three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG and once again I have no drama to report. Easy peasy but not lemon squeezy and I am BBS for the win! Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A glug of the AS and everything was right as rain! Did I mention I smell good? Bet I did. I am ready for the day.

Home front-
Few errands and what not to know out tomorrow. Then just a fluid weekend taking things as they come. Life is good!

Shave Count (DE: 286 SR: 210)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Henckel SR
Vie Long horsehair
Williams soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Thayers Lemon WH
Avon Oland AS

The process-
Late morning shave today ... man I love those. Went random today. Since I had been working on the Vie Long, I grabbed it and the Williams. The brush is doing better and has earned its way back into the rotation. I discovered something interesting on this brush. If you load clockwise, the bristles gather together. Load counterclockwise and it opens up. Anyway I loaded for 30 seconds and got after it. Built a decent lather, not awesome. That could be my inexperience with the soap. The soap feels lighter, less thick on the face than other soaps. First pass tried drying out on me. Added more water to the rest of the passes.

50 laps on leather and the Henckel was good to go. Went with my standard three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG and once again I have no drama to report. Man it was nice to be back to the straights. DEs are nice, but I really like the straights. I’m mostly BBS, but needed some work around the Adams Apple, so we’ll call that a DFS for the win!

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. Hit the witch hazel today. On a damp face and lighter than I had been. That absorbed well while I cleaned shaving gear and wasn’t sticky. I must have been heavy handed before. Speaking of heavy handed, a handful of the AS and everything was right as rain! Yup I’m accidentally “that guy” today. The restrictor on the Oland is bigger than the Proraso, so I ended up going heavy. Oh well, it’s all good and I dig the scent. So no apologies.

Home front-
Several errands today. Donations to the thrift store, run to the vet (different dog), cleaners and a few other places. So that should keep me busy for a while. Life is good!

Shave Count (DE: 286 SR: 211)

Pre Shave-
Quick shower and splash and go

Shave-
Henckel SR
Vie Long horsehair
CC Venture soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
CC Venture AS

The process-
Quick shower and a late morning shave today. Kept the same hardware, but changed out the soap/AS. Well, it was a bit different with the way the brush acted today. I went with a 30 second load time and the brush mostly clumped together and didn't splay well. Again. It lathered and was decent, but not awesome. So back to the Williams for this bi-polar brush. Anyway, it whipped up a decent lather and smelled really nice.

Just 40 laps on leather for the Henckel, just because I was lazy. Went with my standard three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG and I have no drama to report. Got the Adams Apple squared away today, but missed a bit on the jawline, so we will call this another DFS for the win!

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. Skipped the witch hazel today. Went straight to a splash of the AS and everything was right as rain! I like the scent of this soap/AS, but probably will not reorder. I think once it's done, I'll replace it with Stirling Executive Man. Anyway. it's good enough to use up.

Home front-
Got all my errands ran yesterday. Today I am working on the A/C on my granddaughter's car and I think that's all I have today. I may be advised (on very short notice by the missus) that I need to help more her daughter. I did bring some work home, so I will be working on that some time as well. A quick request for those that are inclined to pry, please put my wife, Debbie, on your prayer lists. That's all I have at the moment. Life is good!

Back