The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

Shave Count (DE: 283 SR: 208)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Torrey SR
Vulfix Bagder
Stirling Glastonbury soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Stirling Glastonbury AS

The process-
Mixed up all the kit again and I was kinda conflicted on which way to go. Back to that conflict in just a minute. The Glastonbury has a nice, complex scent in the tub. You can smell the Patchouli and it’s blended well with the other scents. The soap lathered easily and the Vulfix does a bang up job of cranking out lather. 30 second load, just because, and I was good to go.

50 laps on leather for the Torrey today. I almost went with the Sheffield, but the Torrey was up next. Used a bit heavier pressure during the strop to continue testing that. Once again I heard the pitch change while stropping, which is interesting. Doing that on the Dovo, it definitely felt like it was getting keener. Anyway, went with my standard three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG and I have no drama to report. Very nice shave indeed. I did miss a tad on the jawline so we’ll call this a DFS for the win!

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A splash of the AS and ... what is this? Of course everything was right as rain! But this AS started off with a different scent, more of a green, grass type scent. I’m curious to see how it changes as it dries down.

So back to the conflict. After receiving the Glastonbury yesterday, I was really wanting to try it. With that said, the horsehair brush appears to really be coming along too. I don’t know it it was using the hair conditioner or what, but it’s doing nicely. No more hair clumping while loading or lathering. It pulls in a nice amount of soap and releases it with a nice splay. I almost went with modern Williams and the horsehair today. Almost. Looks like the horsehair has earned a place back in the rotation and I am going to have to try that Williams too.

On the Williams, maybe I just have decent water, because it hasn’t given me any trouble. I threw it in the OS mug and bloomed it while I showered and shaved one day. It swelled up a bit and has lathered like a champ ever since. I think I’m going to have to try MWF next and see how it does. I think that’s all for now. Life is good!

Nice shave Tim! Love my Glastonbury EdT sample from Stirling! To me it is reminiscent of a stronger Avon Spicy. Nice and long lasting too!

Shave Count (DE: 283 SR: 209)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Torrey SR
Vulfix Bagder

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Stirling Glastonbury AS

The process-
Thought I would take the Glastonbury for a spin this week, so I kept the same kit that I had yesterday. Hit the soap for 30 seconds and the Vulfix made quick work of cranking out the lather. The soap has an interesting scent and I am digging it.

40 laps on leather for the Torrey today. Went with my standard three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG and I have no drama to report. Very nice shave again today, but I missed that same spot on the jawline. So we’ll go with a DFS for the win!

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A splash of the AS and everything was right as rain! Well ... maybe. I mentioned yesterday that the AS has a green scent. It starts off way different than the soap. I may have hit it a bit too hard this morning because it's really green. Like "I just edged the yard and have that green crap all over me" kinda green. I've got one heck of a headache this morning and I hope it's not from the AS. We'll keep on keeping on and see what happens.

Home front-
Not much to report at the moment. Spent some time over the weekend gathering different things to donate to the thrift store. I will probably work on more of that this week as well. I am off Friday, so it will be a shorter week. Although shorter there won't be less work, so we'll see how things pan out. Life is good!

I was going to say whooohoo to short weeks, but you don't sound too excited. Hopefully at least it means a more relaxed Friday morning.

I was going to say whooohoo to short weeks, but you don't sound too excited. Hopefully at least it means a more relaxed Friday morning.

I’m always excited about a day off. I have gotten comfortable with the every other Friday off schedule :D

Shave Count (DE: 284 SR: 209)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Gillette Old Type
Edison blade (1)
Zenith Boar

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Stirling Glastonbury AS

The process-
Hit snooze way too many times this morning and had to speed up the shave. So today I broke out the Old Type. Also decided to grab a boar brush, just because. Went with a 30 second load time and cranked out plenty of lather. I'm still digging the scent of this soap too. I kept throwing water at it during the shave and it never broke. It did thin out just a tad, but I still had plenty for all 3 passes and a post shave lather.

Went with my standard three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG and I have no drama to report. Nice, quick easy peasy and BBS for the win!

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A splash of the AS and everything was right as rain! I'm not sure what I think about this AS yet, it smells green. Green. I mean really green ... oh my gosh that's all I smell is green. Yes, I think there may be a green type of scent to it. I think the only thing I smell on the dry down is ... wait for it ... green. So we'll see, maybe it will grow on me. You know ... the way green things do.

Home front-
Still not much on the home front yet. The dog that had hives is doing better, so that's a relief. I guess I should have mentioned that several days ago. Other than that, I am just trucking right along. Life is good!

Back