The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

Nice read, Tim. And speaking of patchouli, I've got a patchouli soap lined up for tomorrow.......

Nice read, Tim. And speaking of patchouli, I've got a patchouli soap lined up for tomorrow.......

Very nice! I still have the samples you sent me that I need to work through. Also picked up some Patch EO. Now I need to find a homebrew AS recipe and make some.

Shave Count (DE: 277 SR: 206)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Dovo SR
Zenith Boar
CC Venture soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
CC Venture AS

The process -
Early morning shave ... IKR? Ever have one of those days where something feels “off”, but you can’t put your finger on it? Yup, I started the day like that. Had a bit of trouble decided on a scent this morning, which is unusual. Decided to go with the Venture. Loaded for 20 seconds and got after it. For some reason the boar was hogging lather this morning, so I hit the tub again for another 10 seconds. That did the trick and it whipped up a great smelling lather.

50 laps on the leather this morning. I think the increased pressure does make a difference, but it’s still early. The razor feels like the edge is getting more keen and the pitch has changed while stropping. Went with my standard three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG and I have some drama to report. Yup, Murphy showed up this morning. My lather got funky and started drying on me. I was on my last pass and on the upstroke on my neck. As I got close to my jawline, in the blink of an eye, it happened. The razor skipped. Once off my skin, the razor changed angles from shallow to steep. Came down with a hard landing and stuck for a sec. Scored a nice 2” cut, then some of the red stuff leaked out. Grabbed the DE to finish up the other 3/4 pass without incident. On the plus side, I am BBS for the win!

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A healthy glug of the AS and everything was right as rain! I guess that cut wasn’t too deep because the AS stopped the blood loss. I skipped the WH today, I’m just not digging it. It makes my skin feel sticky. Well, I may look like I tried to give a cat a bath, but I smell great!

I still made time to beat that horsehair on the modern Williams too. Life is good.

Uh oh, Tim’s gonna go all Heath Ledger on us...”wanna know how I got these scars?” :ROFLMAO:

Glad it wasn’t a more serious injury!

Shave Count (DE: 278 SR: 206)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Gillette Slim
Astra SP (1)
Vulfix Badger
Proraso Green soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Proraso Green AS

The process -
Mid-morning shave today and changed up the entire kit. Haven’t used the Proraso Green in awhile, so it’s on deck today. Grabbed the badger to see if it would be easier on my new scab ... it was. Went with a 30 second load and whipped up a nice lather. The Green has an easy, pleasant scent and the slight menthol kick is nice.

Went with my standard three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG and I have no drama to report. The DEs really are a great tool and very versatile. Comfortable blade feel on settling 5 and just an easy peasy shave. Really good shave. I am mostly BBS, but went easy around the new nick, so we’ll call it a solid DFS for the win!

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A splash of the AS and everything was right as rain! Good stuff right there. Now I am ready for the day.

Beat that horsehair on the modern Williams again today. Then hit it with some hair conditioner. This brush will break in, even if it doesn’t know it yet.

Home front-
Productive day yesterday. Unloaded hundreds of pounds of horse feed, mowed the yard, ran errands and wrapped up the day cooking steaks on the grill. Oh ... my dad had some cows escape, so I had to round them up too. Today is a casual day. Life is good.

Oh man bummer on that cut! Sounds like a BBS +, and not in the good way.

As for days that just feel off, I'm not sure I've ever had one that wasn't that way. :)

Shave Count (DE: 279 SR: 206)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Gillette Slim
Astra SP (2)
Vulfix Badger
SC Patchouli cream (sample)

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Avon Clint AS

The process -
Late morning shave today ... just because. Since someone recently unleashed a Glastonbury Patch bomb, I had to finish up this Patch sample. Man that is some goodness right there! Whipped that up in the copper bowl and just basked in the awesomeness. Luckily I have a few more samples from other vendors to try also. The badger whipped it up nicely and has treated my recent nick well.

Went with my standard three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG and I have no drama to report. Shave #2 on this blade and it was so nice. Took my time and chased it. Oh yeah friends and neighbors, I am BBS for the win!

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A healthy glug of the AS and everything was right as rain! I thought the Patch was awesome, but man ... the Clint is something special too. I could just drop the mic and call it a day right there. That’s what I’m talking about!

I’ll continue to beat the horsehair until it’s attitude improves. But I will say the conditioner seemed to have helped. The brush typically clumps together and doesn’t splay well when wet. Today it splayed well. Williams is cheap, but I’ll probably wind this down later this week if I see the same progression.

Home front-
Inside work today with some housework and laundry that I didn’t get done yesterday. I also have Glastonbury soap and AS, along with a sample of Executive Man in my cart. Just need to pull the trigger. I picked up something from the bay last night so I hope it gets here soon too. That’s all I’ve got at the moment. Life is good.

Back