The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

Shave Count (DE: 277 SR: 201)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Torrey SR (#1)
Zenith Boar
Mudder Focker soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Mudder Focker AS

The process -
Went with an early afternoon shave today. Had to be up at 3am to go with my dad to the hospital. There was no way I was putting a straight to my neck at 3am. So once I got home from the hospital, I had to get cleaned up and Mudder Focker is on deck this week. Kept the Zenith for this shave and it did an outstanding job. Soft bristles, nice splay and steady cranking out lather.

Took the Torrey back to the stones yesterday and reworked it from the bevel up. I think I have the bevel right this time, I used the burr method. First time around I tried circles and I guess I don’t have that technique down yet. Went with my standard three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG and I have no drama to report. Got rid of that horrid edge and didn’t have any tugging at all this time. Shave was much better, but I don’t think my head was in it. I did score a DFS and I’ll call that a win!

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A splash of the AS and everything was right as rain! I feel better now, I felt scruffy all morning. Yup, I think this scent will do just fine for the week.

Home front-
Dad should be in the hospital a few days. Surgery went well and he went from recovery to a room. After I left the hospital, his blood sugar dropped and his heart rate started acting up. Therapy has been rescheduled to start tomorrow. Looks like we have more storms coming our way too. I think that’s all for now. we’ll see what the next few days hold for us.

Shave Count (DE: 277 SR: 202)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Dovo SR
Vulfix Badger
Mudder Focker soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Mudder Focker AS

The process -
Woke up on time today and after the 3am schedule, I almost felt like I was sleeping late. Almost. The Dovo is the straight that started this journey and hasn't seen much action lately, so it's on deck the rest of the week. Really enjoyable shave this morning that was not rushed. Hit the soap for 20 seconds and got after it. Whipped up plenty of lather that was very smooth and smelled nice!

50 laps on the leather and it was go time. Went with my standard three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG and I have no drama to report. That's what I'm talking about right there. Nice, very nice and I am BBS for the win! Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A glug of the AS and everything was right as rain! Speaking of which, hopefully the rain today is the last we will have for a bit. This soap/AS combo is kinda funny in that I didn't care much for it at first. I thought it was just kinda meh, scent wise. Put it aside and circled back to it later and it just clicked. I am really digging the scent now. Funny how that works. That was a much needed shave after winding down a rather hectic schedule from the last 10 or so days. Now I am ready to start the day.

Home front-
Dad should be discharged from the hospital tomorrow. Thank you all for the prayers and well wishes. I have also taken off on Thursday and Friday to be nearby to give him a hand. With that said work isn't slowing down, so I may be working from home on those days. Thankfully our routine is staring to get back to normal and the dogs appear relieved too. Well, we'll just take each day as it comes. Life is good!

Shave Count (DE: 277 SR: 203)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Dovo SR
Vulfix Badger
Mudder Focker soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Thayers Lemon WH
Mudder Focker AS

The process -
Running the same setup again today to wind down the work week. Not sure if I will keep it for tomorrow and Friday, but we will see. Today I hit the soap for 20 seconds and whipped up a really nice lather. It was a bit wetter than normal, but that didn't hurt anything at all.

50 laps on the leather and it was time for business. Went with my standard three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG and I have no drama to report. I did discover that if your scales bump your other hand while stretching, it can change the angle of your blade. That did cause a hard landing on my jawline, but there was no red fluid leakage so that's a good thing. In spite of that little issue, I am BBS for the win!

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A splash of WH and after the dry down, a glug of the AS. You know that everything was right as rain! I've had that WH for some time now, picked it up in a PIF. Never tried it before, but thought I would give it a go today. Not bad, I may use the remainder and see how it does over time. The lemon scent was not strong and the AS was able to cover it without any trouble. I will probably look at getting an alum block in the future as well. Looks like one of those may come in handy. Once again, a nice shave this morning.

Home front-
Dad was discharged from the hospital today and on his way home. I know he's happy about that. With the rest of the week off and our office closed on Monday, it should make for a nice relaxing weekend. I am ready for it. Life is good!

Shave Count (DE: 277 SR: 204)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Dovo SR
Vulfix Badger
Baker Street soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Thayers Lemon WH
Baker Street AS

The process -
I’m off today and tomorrow, so mixing a late morning shave up a bit. Went with the Baker Street today for the Stirling theme shave. @Joe Hackett does a great job with his offerings. Loaded the badger up for 30 seconds and threw a bunch of water at it. Whipped up a really nice lather never breaking it. The scent smells great, and really projected well when lathered.

50 laps on the leather and it was go time. Went with my standard three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG and I have no drama to report. No hard landings today, just a nice relaxing shave. Still had enough in the brush for a post shave lather and I am BBS for the win!

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A splash of WH and a dry down. A glug of the AS and everything was right as rain! Clean shaven and smelling great! It really is the simple pleasures.

Home front-
No real static plans this weekend. A trip to the vet (not for me) and some errands. Hang around to give my dad a hand if he needs it. That’s all I have at the moment. Life is good

Hey, you blew right past straight shave #200 with not even a notice. Of note, it was GTB baby!!!

Shave Count (DE: 277 SR: 205)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Dovo SR
DSC Badger
SC Patchouli cream (sample)

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Thayers Lemon WH
Avon Clint AS

The process -
Late morning shave today and I got my dirty hippy on ... oh yeah! Have a sample of Stone Cottage Patchouli that probably has 2 shaves left on it. So I scooped that all out and loaded the Turkish copper bowl. Used the DSC to pull up just what I needed for the shave and kept the rest in the bowl. Face lathered and whipped up an awesome lather. I threw so much water at it that I was flinging it everywhere. The lather just kept building and building and oh man, it smelled great. Super squeegee shave right there!

50 laps on the leather again this morning, but I did something a bit different. Based on something I read recently, I applied just a bit more pressure than I normally do when stropping. I’ll have to try that for a bit and see what, if any, difference that makes. Went with my standard three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG and I have no drama to report. Outstanding shave right there! Full on sloppy, nice and relaxing. Had enough lather in the brush for a post shave lather or five. Oh ... and I am BBS for the win!

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A splash of WH and a dry down. A healthy glug of the AS and everything was right as rain! Hated for that Patchouli scent to be taken over, I am going to have to make a Patch AS. But not to disappoint, that Clint picked up the slack. Man that stuff smells great too. I am going to get that hand soap back out and lather it up again. I now know it works with the right brush. Just can’t say enough about this shave, it was NICE!

In addition to those changes today, I was goofing with modern Williams. I also brought the Vie Long horsehair out of the drawer and I’m going to beat on it a bit more and see if I can’t really break it in. I thought I had used it enough, but it just ain’t right. Anyway, threw the Williams in the OS shave mug I picked up from @Dave in KY. Covered it with water and let it bloom while I shaved. Once I was done with my shave, I dumped the excess water out and lathered up the horsehair. I then palm lathered that while the WH was drying. The Williams whipped up a fine lather, so I guess my water is ok for it. I’ll beat that horsehair on that for awhile and see what happens. Who knows, I might even try shaving with that Williams.

Home front-
Speaking of the OS mug above, I had a friend 3D print me a lid for that mug. It’s available on thingyverse.com if anyone wants one. We did have to reduce the inside diameter by 2mm to fit my mug, so maybe mug sizes vary. I’ll have to attach a pic. Anyway, semi-annual AC maintenance today before Summer really cranks up. Have several errands to run and may try to mow before more rain rolls in. That’s all friends and neighbors, rock on! Life is good

Back