The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

Shave Count (DE: 274 SR: 194)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Henckels SR
Zenith boar
Proraso Red soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Proraso Red AS

The process -
Very nice late morning shave today. I thought I would give that new scuttle a try to. I guess I didn’t have my water steaming hot enough for the lather to stay real warm the whole shave. But that first pass was really nice and the hot water made the bristles really soft. I went with a 30 second time and whipped up a great smelling lather. Ah Sandalwood ... good stuff.

20 laps on nylon and another 50 on the leather strop. Went with my standard three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG and I have no drama to report. Outstanding shave this morning, no muss no fuss and I am BBS for the win!

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A glug of the AS and everything was right as rain! Very nice shave today and adding the scuttle was pretty cool. I’ll have to play with that more. Did I mention that I smell great?

Home front-
Not much going on today, just an easy day. It’s 58 degrees out and everything is wet. Have a Great Day! Life is good!

Fancy scuttle. Though it almost looks like something you might use if you can't get out of bed for the day ;)

Shave Count (DE: 274 SR: 195)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
J Allen SR
VDH badger
SC Vanilla and Vetiver soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Clint AS

The process -
Decent shave is morning. Not awesome, but decent. Went with random bits and this is what I ended up with. The brush is a cheapie I bought a long while back for travel. Scored it at a Marshalls for $4, so I can’t complain. Wanted to try and break it in and this was the first use. It lathered ok and had decent face feel. It has badger funk and is a lather hog. I started with a 20 second load and had to hit the cream a second time to finish the shave. I will be pounding it on a modern Williams to continue the break in.

20 laps on nylon and another 50 on the leather strop. Went with my standard three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG and I have no drama to report. The J Allen is smooth, but the edge has faded. Back to the honing queue with this one. I did manage to pull off a DFS for the win!

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A double splash of the AS and everything was right as rain! The Clint covered up the soap nicely. The missus and I both dig the scent of the Clint, so that’s a bonus. Decent shave and smelling great.

Home front-
Horrible weather today. Low 60’s and raining. Good grief! Have to get out and run a few errands and knock out some shopping today ... that should be fun. It is what it is ... Life is good!

We had 4” of rain on Tuesday. We’ve had standing water as long as I can remember. We are in the country, so no fancy city drainage :D

Shave Count (DE: 274 SR: 196)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Gillette New
Astra SP (3)
Omega boar
GTB soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
GTB AS

The process -
Grabbed the boar brush that started it all. It’s an Omega 10019. It’s broken in, the tips are soft and it has a ton of backbone. I started with a 30 second load and whipped up a really nice lather.

Needed a quick shave, so I grabbed a DE. Went with my standard three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG and I have no drama to report. Very nice, easy shave and I am BBS for the win!

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A glug of the AS and everything was right as rain! Very nice shave and I smell great! Excellent way to start the day.

Home front-
Another 2.5” of rain yesterday. That makes 6.5” in 3 days. That should be enough to last a while, but more is on the way. Life is good!

Shave Count (DE: 275 SR: 196)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
J Allen SR
Omega boar
Gaelic Tweed soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Gaelic Tweed AS

The process -
I had goofed around with the J Allen a bit on the stones yesterday, so I wanted to give it a try today. Only hit it on the stones and didn't use the pasted balsa. Kept the same brush again, just to beat on it a bit more too. It sounded like a nice week for Gaelic Tweed, so let's do that. I went with a 20 second load and whipped up a nice lather. It started a bit wet and then cranked up nicely.

40 laps on the nylon and 60 laps on the leather strop to get going. Went with my standard three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG and I have no drama to report. So the razor was honed up to 12k. It was very smooth, but I think could be a tad sharper. For whatever reason, I picked up some irritation today, but didn't notice until the AS hit it. I may run this up on the balsa strops. But with that said, I am BBS for the win!

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A double shot of the AS and woohoo!, man that lit me up. I picked up some irritation during the shave. After that settled, everything was right as rain! Nice shave and man oh man, I smell great! Very good choices to start the week off.

Home front-
Last night, after hitting the J Allen on the stones, I broke out a Torrey. This Torrey was the first one I picked up and I wasn't sure If I would get it honed out well. So I set it aside and went hunting for the second one. At any rate, I brought out the 600 grit sandpaper and hit that Torrey like it owed me money. I finally managed to pull out all the chips and, so next up is a bevel set and an edge. We'll see how it ends up. Life is good!

I think I'd rather have the rain and delay the summer heat as long as possible.

Back