The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

Shave Count (DE: 272 SR: 190)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Henckel SR
DSC Badger
Avon Clint soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Avon Clint AS

The process -
I was rocking some old school sh...stuff this morning. I parked the car close and left it running, just in case the missus caught me with her new dish. I bloomed the puck for a bit since it’s older than dirt and loaded it for 30 seconds with a wet brush. Took a minute and then the soap started to lather. The soap scent is stronk on the puck and when lathering. It’s a deep woody, smoky kinda scent. I dig it. It cranked out a really nice lather, but the brush was kinda hoggin’ it.

Went with my standard three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG and I have not drama to report. I didn’t rinse between passes because I didn’t want to risk breaking the lather. I did dip the brush tips between passes without any issues. Lather was a bit thinner than modern stuff. But that could have been the brush. No issues during the shave and I am BBS for the win! Even had plenty of lather for a post shave soak.

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A glug of the AS and everything was right as rain! That’s right, I said it. The AS is a stronk continuation of the soap. Very nice! Man, that was a truly cool shave. The only thing that would have made it better is a vintage brush to seal the deal. That’s it, I’m going shopping. Have a Great Day! Life is good!

Okay, I must have missed something. The Clint soap isn't for hand washing? It's a shave soap? If so, I gotta get a coin.....Nice shave Tim

Okay, I must have missed something. The Clint soap isn't for hand washing? It's a shave soap? If so, I gotta get a coin.....Nice shave Tim

The box just says soap, so it may be hand soap for all I know. Pretty good lather though. I’ll get a lather pic for ya.

After googling, it probably is a hand soap. I only find the Gentleman Regent shave soap. Well, that’s embarrassing, but still a good shave.

So there’s a challenge for you guys. A week of shaves with a hand soap.

After googling, it probably is a hand soap. I only find the Gentleman Regent shave soap. Well, that’s embarrassing, but still a good shave.

TSC’s new series. Tim’s bar soap shaves. Can I request Irish Spring next, followed by Lava?

Hey no worries and if you get a good shave with it that's all that matters. Thought I had to add that to my buy radar if it was actual shave soap though. Thanks for the clarity (y)

That is one great shave! And who cares if it is a hand soap. If it's a hand soap then they shouldn't have made it into a puck! 🤪 I have heard of guys when starting shaving (in the 50s and 60s) start shaving with bar soap like Lifebuoy Soap (Lifebuoy used to made with coal tar I believe). I believe I remember someone saying that if you can shave with Lifebuoy then you can shave with anything!

Shave Count (DE: 272 SR: 191)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Henckel SR
Zenith boar
Avon Clint soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Avon Clint AS

The process -
This morning I kept most of the kit, but changed brushes. The lather was nice yesterday, but a tad thin with the badger. Not bad, just kinda inconsistent. I bloomed the puck again for a bit and loaded it for 30 seconds with a wet brush. Took a minute and then the soap started to lather. The lather today didn’t do near as well. It was thinner than yesterday and drying during the shave.

20 laps on nylon webbing and 50 laps on the leather today Went with my standard three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG and I have no drama to report. I did dip the brush tips between passes but that didn’t help matters. No issues during the shave, but it required a lot of swiping with a wet hand to get through the shave. I pulled off a DFS and I’m calling that a win! I didn’t have enough lather left for post shave. What little was left was very airy with large bubbles.

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A glug of the AS and everything was right as rain! Again. I am still really digging the scent. But I think the lesson for the day is: if you shave with hand soap use a badger brush. I may try it with a synth to see how it does. But at least I know I could survive a shavepocolypse with bar soap. Maybe Dove, it has moisturizing cream.

Home front-
My shave shelf is put back together and hanging on the wall. Waiting for the Teak oil to dry before I can load it up. Hit a thrift store yesterday, but no joy. Let’s see what today brings. Have a Great Day! Life is good!

Shave Count (DE: 273 SR: 191)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Gillette New LC
Astra SP blade (1)
Vulfix badger
Baker Street soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Baker Street AS

The process -
So, I cleaned up the new to me Gillette New and wanted to give it a go this morning. Never used an LC, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I also decided to go with Baker Street for the week. I think it's been awhile since I have used this soap/AS combo. Went with the standard load of 15 seconds and whipped up a really nice lather that smelled great.

Went with my standard three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG and I have no drama to report. Very nice easy peasy shave today, but I did pick up one small nick and that was my fault. This is a really nice shaving razor and has a place in my rotation. That was a nice lather. I had enough for the shave and post shave also. Did I mention that I walked away BBS for the win?

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A glug of the AS and everything was right as rain! I'm digging this scent too. Clean shaven and smelling great, look out world here I come.

Home front-
I was able to clean that Gillette New a bit this weekend. It's not where I want it to be yet, because I wanted to try it out. I was also able to finally load my shave shelf back up. Ah Mondays ... back to the grind. Have a Great Day! Life is good!

Back