The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

Yeah, I’m doing that. Can I have a protein drink or is that cheating?
Your house, your rules. I think generally when people talk about fasting it's no calories. But you want to keep your fluids and electrolytes up.

Shave Count (DE: 269 SR: 189)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Gillette Old Type
Astra SP (3)
Omega 48 boar
GTB soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
GTB AS

The process -
Just a quick update as I am rocking the same setup again today. The shave was a carbon copy of yesterday's as far as process and end result. Another great shave. The bottom of the tub is showing and it's about as big around as a half dollar. So I may work on finishing this one up. We'll see.

Home front -
Got the yard mowed last night, just in time for the rain. The rain should be rolling in today and stay until Friday ... oh joy. Received the updated AS sample from CC yesterday. I didn't try it this morning, but will soon. As of tonight at 7:00pm, it will be 48 hours since my last meal. 48 hours. I was really hungry last night, but it has faded some this morning. I probably will cut this short and just do a 2 day fast instead of 3. There was really no driver for this other than I wanted to try it. Besides, if I only do 2 days there is room for improvement. Life is good!

Way to go with the fast. I haven’t done one in a long time, but I remember that once I’d hit a little over 24 hours and some of the hunger pangs subsided, it did get a little easier...depending on activity level of course.

Thanks guys. The fasting is a bit easier today, hungry but not starving. Last night I was convinced that painter dude lopped off his ear because he was fasting and starving.

I did a water only fast for a week several years ago as part of my prep for a bible study lesson I had been asked to lead. The beginning and the end were the hardest parts. At the end it was just the thoughts of how close I was to getting to eat something again that made it hard but keeping reason in mind helped. It was a very interesting experience for sure.

Shave Count (DE: 270 SR: 189)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Gillette Old Type
Astra SP (4)
Vulfix badger
SC Vanilla 7 Vetiver cream

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
CC test sample #2 AS

The process -
Yesterday I received my new test sample of the CC aftershave, so I wanted to give it a try this morning. I hit snooze one too many times, so no straight shave again today. Kept the Old Type on deck but mixed up the other kit. I picked up the Stone Cottage awhile back. Picked up some cream samples, bar soap and a 3 oz puck of this cream. Everything I bought was on sale, so I saved money right? I went with what I thought was a lighter smelling cream for my shave today and since it's a cream, I opted for the badger. Just because. The cream is firmer than say a TOBS, but very workable. I went with a 15 second load and went from proto-lather to full blown lather before I was done loading. Hit it with the normal rinses and brush dips between passes and the cream never faltered. It had good slickness and residual slickness too. Not sure what I think of the scent yet. I don't hate it, but it's not awesome. I would imagine that it would grow on me. I don't smell the vanilla, so it must be the vetiver that I smell.

Went with my standard three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. Very nice shave and I am BBS for the win! Man, I love these old vintage razors. They deliver an outstanding shave for a low cost of ownership.

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. Then I grabbed the new test AS. The scent was stronger in the vial than the previous sample. Poured some in my hand and once again it was stronger than the previous sample. Slapped it on my face and the scent was gone. Gave it another splash and the scent was gone again. The soap was overpowering the AS (so much for the lighter scented soap). I got the menthol and post shave feel, but that was it. So, I'm sitting at my work desk 2.5 hours later with a faint hint of the soap and no AS. Guess I will have to try another soap tomorrow. In spite of the scent issue with the AS, it was a great shave.

Home front -
Finished up with the 2 day fast and I know I could do three days. Not that I am, but I could. Plugging away at work with keeping the lights on, resolving issues and working on projects. Not much going on with the home front today. Nothing long range planned because you guys know we are dynamic that way. So with that, Have a Great Day! Life is good!

Stone Cottage, that's a blast from the past. One of the first soaps I tried when I got bit with the SAD. Don't recall a thing about it though.

I do have a puck of Fine Santal that I haven’t used yet. I just need to get the matching AS or try it with Proraso Red splash.

Shave Count (DE: 271 SR: 189)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Gillette Old Type
Astra SP (5)
DSC badger
Krokus soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
CC test sample #2 AS

The process -
Ok, giving the new CC AS sample another test today so went with a lighter scented soap. I also switched out brushes just for giggles. The Krokus did great this morning. I went with a 15 second load time and had a nice lather building on the soap. The more water I threw at my brush, the lather just kept building. I like it's pleasant scent and man oh man did I have a ton of lather. I had enough for 3 passes and a post shave lather. I probably had enough left to shave at least one of the dog too.

As you can see, I am still rocking the DE. Went with my standard three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG and have just a touch of drama to report. Not sure how I managed it, but I had a spot of irritation. It may be time to ditch this blade. Other than that, it was a very nice shave and I am BBS for the win!

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A splash of the new test AS and ... crap that burned. I found that spot of irritation. The scent has been increased in the second sample and the menthol/post shave feel is spot on. The downside is that the scent is still not strong enough and it does not have the longevity that I am looking for. All in all, a good shave. Not awesome, but good. So, I think that's all I have on that. Stay tuned tomorrow to see what I wrap the work week up with.

Home front -
Goodness have we been getting hammered with rain, another 2 inches last night. I think we get a break Sunday and then more rain next week. I may have mentioned before we have a few outside cats, but they will hang out in our garage. So a few days ago I bought them a cat tree, hoping they will stay off the cars. It was delivered today, so I should be putting that together this evening. I also need to wrap up the changes to my shave shelf and get it hung back up. So ... that's it at the moment. Still waiting on a shave mail or two. I'll post those when they come in. Have a Great Day! Life is good!

Back