The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

Shave Count (DE: 264 SR: 187)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Henckel SR
Omega 48 boar
AA Bay Rum soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
AA Bay Rum AS

The process -
Motoring right along and kept the same kit again. I am late posting, so you guys get the leftovers today. I did get my shave on this morning and it was nice! I reduced my load time today to 15 seconds and really didn't notice any difference in the lather. Lathered right up with no issues and I never did break it with water. And it smelled awesome!

50 laps on the leather and go time. Went with the standard shave of WTG, XTG and ATG and I have no drama to report. I can't say enough about this razor, it just shines. I am starting the day BBS for the win! Arg!

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and quick towel dry. A glug of the AS and everything was right as rain! Not sure if it's by design or just age, but the reducer in the AS bottle just has glug mode. Not that there is anything wrong with that. A pirate's splash for me. Nice dry down and the longevity of this juice is outstanding.

Home front -
Expecting shave mails, but they haven't come yet. They will. Crazy busy at work today, that's why you get the leftovers. We have more rain coming to finish out the week also. I think that's all I got. Life is good!

Shave Count (DE: 265 SR: 187)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Senator
Israeli blade (3)
Zenith boar
Krokos soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
CC "insert name here" test AS

The process -
I had a bit more time this morning, due to a training class, so I was able to test a new aftershave. Captain's Choice is working on a new AS and I was lucky enough to get on the testing list. It's publicly posted on a forum, so it's not top secret or anything. The AS sample was awaiting me when I got home last night too. I did give it a sniff last night. So this morning I had to give it a test run. The AS has a light scent, so I went with the lightest scent that I could think of ... the Saffron. Anyway, grabbed that and really mixed everything up. Decided to go with a DE and the Zenith. So, I went with a 15 second load time and whipped up a really nice lather. I threw water at it between passes, but it never broke. I also had enough for a 3 pass shave and a post shave lather.

No laps today since I am on easy street. Went with the standard shave of WTG, XTG and ATG and I have no drama to report. Nice ... very nice BBS for the win! I'll take an easy peasy shave any day of the week.

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and quick towel dry. A healthy shot of the test AS and everything was right as rain! I almost stopped there, but I will give you my initial impression.

"It’s a softer, pleasant scent from the bottle. Faint, but there. In my hand, I lost the “blue” scent and got more of a synthetic / menthol scent. I applied it to a damp face and it was not sticky. Had a brief alcohol hit and then the menthol kicked in. The menthol is spot on. I don’t want it to freeze my face off, just wake me up. I could smell the menthol when applied.

The dry down left a great post shave feel and I could smell the powder. Post shave is spot on. I would give this a solid 7 of 10. Would I buy it? Not at this time. I would like the scent to be stronger, more present. I work in an office and can wear scents. I don’t want to leave a vapor trail, but I do prefer a strong longer lasting scent."

See ... told ya. Right as rain!

Home front -
Speaking of rain ... good grief. At least I got a nice shave in. I set my navigation software to get me to the training class this morning 10 minutes early. That didn't work, I arrived 30 minutes late. Yes, due to the monsoon that passed through overnight, I spent 2 hours in traffic this morning. What a mess. Still crazy busy at work, but Friday is on the way. Tomorrow is pretty open on my calendar, so maybe I can get caught up on things. Looks like I may also have another shave mail at the house. Life is good!

Probably best to leave the vapor trails to Don. Pretty cool getting to test a new product.

Probably best to leave the vapor trails to Don. Pretty cool getting to test a new product.
Someone rang?

The few times I've been on one of Scott's tests for Aftershave...scent is always an issue. I love his stuff...just wish it was stronger.

Last edited:
Shave Count (DE: 266 SR: 187)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Senator
Israeli blade (4)
Zenith boar
Krokos soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
CC "insert name here" test AS

The process -
TGITHMF! Oh yeah, it's that time of the week again. You know what I'm talking about. Morning shave, but a late post. You guys get the leftovers again. So ... just a quick update today, because my shave was a carbon copy of yesterday. Same process, gear and results.

Wrapped everything up and you know ... everything was right as rain!

Home front -
I received a mail call last night that I was waiting on. It's a Gillette New long comb. I was watching several on the bay and accidentally bought the wrong one. I actually wanted the short comb, but the price was right. So it is what it is. It's user grade, so I'll see if I can get the remaining gold wash off and clean it up. A few errands and honey do's this weekend. I also have some projects to wrap up, so we'll see how it goes. Life is good!

Shave Count (DE: 266 SR: 188)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Torrey SR
Vulfix badger
Venture soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Venture AS

The process -
Great late morning shave! I was really conflicted on what to use today. Not sure why, I don’t usually have that problem. Anyway, finally got that sorted and got my shave on. Went with a 15 second load and whipped up a really nice, great smelling lather. I think 15 seconds may be my new normal.

Went with 40 laps on the nylon mesh and 50 laps on leather. Just because. Went with my standard three pass shave of WTG, XTG, ATG and have no drama to report. An outstanding shave and I am BBS for the win!

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A glug of the AS and everything was right as rain! That was the right choice today. An excellent shave and I really dig this scent. This soap has great slickness and residual slickness. I’ve read this is an Advetus clone, so I may have to try Stirling Executive Man to see if the scent is a touch stronger. Man I dig it.

Home front -
Should be in the high 70’s today. I have a list of to-do’s and projects for the weekend. But today I think I may kick it like my backyard smoker ... low and slow. Have a great day everyone! Life is good!

Back