The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

Shave Count (DE: 264 SR: 182)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shavet-
Gillette Senator
Israeli blade (2)
Zenith boar
Krokos soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Nivia ASB

The process -
Yesterday was an enjoyable shave and I thought I would try and duplicate it today. I kept all of the same gear again. I did adjust my soap load time today down to 10 seconds. I thought people made that 10 second thing up. But, at 10 seconds it was building a thick lather in the tub, so it was go time. With that short load time it still whipped up enough lather for 3 passes and a post shave lather. I also kept the same brush routine with a dip in the water for each pass, along with a face rinse. The water didn't impact the soap at all, it continued to build. Good stuff.

I was running a bit behind schedule, so I skipped the straights again and grabbed the Senator. Went with the standard shave of WTG, XTG and ATG and I have no drama to report. (Insert BBS victory dance here) Another nice shave and I am BBS for the win!

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and quick towel dry. A dab of the ASB and everything was right as rain! After the ASB dry down, there was a really nice post shave feel. This is a really pleasant soap to shave with. The only knock for me is the scent longevity is very short. I guess that's due to the soft scent. Other than that, it's all good.

Home front -
Winding the work week down with the day to day ops. Have additional tasks that I am working on, but they are multi-week projects. Not much exciting there with the exception of Friday. I am off for Good Friday. Other than that ... my sinuses are jacked up and I am all kinds of snotface. I should try some of that boogerman soap that Kyle uses. In spite of the allergies ... Life is good!

Shave Count (DE: 264 SR: 183)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shavet-
J Allen SR
Vulfix badger
Krokos soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Nivia ASB

The process -
So I thought I would wrap up the week using this soap. Although I did change out the hardware. I don’t care for cushion with a shave soap, technique can take care of that. I am interested in slickness and residual slickness with the straights. So I grabbed a straight to see what we can do. Went with a 10 second load and found that this badger will build a proto lather quickly. The boar I had been using just built a straight up lather without the proto lather. Anyway, it still whipped up a great lather that was enough for 3 passes and a post shave lather.

Had a late morning shave with 2 days worth of growth. Went with the standard shave of WTG, XTG and ATG and I have no drama to report. The straight made quick work of that growth and I am BBS for the win!

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and quick towel dry. A touch of the ASB and everything was right as rain! The Nivia worked its magic and I have a great post shave as well. The Saffron is a nice light scent, but there is just no longevity there. It works fine for a shave and is nice but, not firmly in my scent wheelhouse. I think it will be nice on those dog days of summer when you want a light refreshing shave.

Home front -
Fun stuff this week. My allergies have sucked all week. The storms that rolled through Wednesday night knocked out our power a couple of times. That reset my alarm clock and I didn’t have time for a shave Thursday morning. Was going to wrap the day up with a shave last night, but picked up a touch of food poisoning. A new day and it’s all good. Feeling better and clean shaved ... Life is good!

Sounds like Spring allergies are treating us all pretty rough! Hope the weekend improves things!

I’m doing better today. Overcast and 18mph winds, so I am setting up the new computer instead of playing outside..

I sure dig the etching on that blade. Sweet about the new computer. I love unpacking new electronics.

Thanks Dave! That was a $10 ebay find that needed cleanup. I am cheap :D

The computer is basically setup now. I went with a laptop. I hate having to uninstall all the crapware. Now I just have to backup our old computers and restore to the new one. We are downsizing from 2 to 1 computer.

Thanks Dave! That was a $10 ebay find that needed cleanup. I am cheap :D

The computer is basically setup now. I went with a laptop. I hate having to uninstall all the crapware. Now I just have to backup our old computers and restore to the new one. We are downsizing from 2 to 1 computer.
Although I miss the power and hardware features a desktop can have, I don’t regret downsizing to a laptop 5 or so years ago. It’s too convenient.

Although I miss the power and hardware features a desktop can have, I don’t regret downsizing to a laptop 5 or so years ago. It’s too convenient.

Absolutely. We did the same thing years ago. We both have laptops, but they are 8 years old. So you can imagine how slow they are. One was second hand when we got it. I actually overheated mine and the solder separated the cpu from the motherboard. That was not good. Sharing the new one will be nice.

All caught up Tim. That Krokos sounds like a great performer, but I don't know how much I would like the scent strength. I like the soap to have a strong lasting scent so I can enjoy it throughout the shave, and sometimes afterwards if I’m using an aftershave that either isn’t strong or will blend well.

Allergies, Power Outage, and Food Poisoning? Who did you tick off my friend? At least you have some nice shave to counter balance! Everyone has their remedies for the Allergies, but I find that Xyzal works great! I get the generic through prescription...but all in all I find it works wonders.

All caught up Tim. That Krokos sounds like a great performer, but I don't know how much I would like the scent strength. I like the soap to have a strong lasting scent so I can enjoy it throughout the shave, and sometimes afterwards if I’m using an aftershave that either isn’t strong or will blend well.

I’m in the same camp. I like the stronger scents with longevity. If I had bought this, it would be a one and done.

Allergies, Power Outage, and Food Poisoning? Who did you tick off my friend? At least you have some nice shave to counter balance! Everyone has their remedies for the Allergies, but I find that Xyzal works great! I get the generic through prescription...but all in all I find it works wonders.

Yeah the end of the week went kinda sideways. So far I’ve use zirtec and xyzal and they don’t help much. But I found Advil migraine will kick a sinus headache.

Back