The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

Shave Count (DE: 263 SR: 182)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shavet-
Gillette Senator
Israeli blade (1)
Zenith boar
Krokos soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Nivia ASB

The process -
Since I received a mail call yesterday, I called an audible this morning and changed all of my gear. So first things first, the presentation of this soap is done very well. It comes in a cardboard box with a bow and wax seal. The box itself has some corrugated flap sections and has a softer feel than regular cardboard. Inside the box is shredded packing material as well. The soap container is a heavy glass with a metal screw on lid. I haven't measured it, but the tub is larger than anything else that I have. The heavy glass is really a nice touch.

This is soft soap, scented with saffron and has a familiar smell to it. I don't know why it smells familiar, I come from a modest working family. But anyway. It is a floral scent that is both crisp and light, but noticeable. Subtle. I went with a standard 30 second load and that was a bit much. About 10 seconds into the load, I had a really nice lather building in the tub. Not a proto-lather, but a nice dense lather. I could have stopped there, but I didn't. I think on the next shave I am only going with a 10 second load. I ran with a wet brush initially. I also rinsed my face between passes and dipped the tips of the brush into the water between passes. The soap just continued to build and build a nice lather without hesitation. I know I had too much soap loaded because I never did reach that really glossy sheen to the lather. It was moist, but never borderline over-saturated. The lather had a nice thickness to it as well and provided plenty of cushion. The scent was present when lathering, but I quickly lost it during the shave. That may have been me going nose blind, because I would pick it backup up again with the next lather. The slickness and residual slickness are good. Allowing the razor to glide along for an effortless shave.

I also received a tuck of blades with this soap and thought I would give them a try. So I skipped the straights and loaded the Senator. Went with the standard shave of WTG, XTG and ATG and I have no drama to report. The blades performed very well with no tugging and/or irritation. Another nice, easy peasy shave and I am BBS for the win!

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and quick towel dry. A dab of the ASB and everything was right as rain! I ended with a nice post shave feel with this setup. Very nice soap, vintage Gillette and a quality brush. A classy setup and shave. I do need to find an antique bottle to put the Nivia ASB in, it's bringing down the neighborhood. This setup really did come across as pure class. I was merely a toddler playing in a bowl of spagetti-o's with both hands.

Home front -
Nothing new to report on the home front. Life is good!

Well now I won't be able to help myself picturing Tim doing that when he says right as rain.

Back