The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

Shave Count (DE: 261 SR: 180)

Pre Shave-
Warm water splash to shave.

Shave-
J Allen & Sons SR
Vulfix badger
WSP Gaelic Tweed soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
WSP Gaelic Tweed AS

Early morning shave today, just a late posting. Winding down the week with the same gear. Had a great shave today, but was a bit pressed for time. Kept my load time at 30 seconds this morning. Had a nice lather going and you know it smelled great.

50 laps on the leather and it was shave time.. Went with the standard shave of WTG, XTG and ATG and I have no drama to report. Yup, got that third pass in and it was glorious. I really needed that and I am BBS for the win!

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and quick towel dry. A glug of the AS and everything was right as rain! There is rain in the forecast tomorrow, but today was a glorious day. Me and a small group of volunteers spent the day serving at a retirement home. You come away with mixed feelings of sadness and happiness. It is what it is, but I will be back. Hope everyone had a great day! Life is good!

Shave Count (DE: 261 SR: 181)

Pre Shave-

Shave-
Three Ranners SR
Graydog Synth
SilverFox soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Nivia ASB

Had a fun morning shave today. I switched out all the gear just to mix it up a bit. Accidentally started with a very wet brush. I forgot how much water this synth holds. I had a bubbly super wet soup in the tub. Instead of dumping the water out, I just kept loading for 60 seconds. Good gosh, I slung soap everywhere and had it running down to my elbow. Kept working it and built a really nice, slick lather.

50 laps on the leather and off we go.. Went with the standard shave of WTG, XTG and ATG and I have no drama to report. Had no lather issues at all and I am BBS for the win!

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and quick towel dry. A shot of the ASB and everything was right as rain! Everything felt ok during the shave, but now it feels a bit irritated. I think I may still need a bit of work on this edge. But I may give it another go tomorrow and see if it was just my technique today. At any rate, the ASB helped calm that down. The light tobacco scent from the soap seems to work well with the Nivia too. Like I said, a fun shave. I need to get out and about to run a few errands, but the wet roads don’t look much fun. Nasty, wet, gloomy day out there. But we make do with what we have. Life is good!

It's awesome that you are using a Silver Fox Soap. It brings me back to some of my first days during wet shaving. I had an Earl Grey scent of Silver Fox and REALLY enjoyed the soap at the time! Nice pic. Stay safe in your wet weather...from the looks of the radar...Texas and Oklahoma doesn't look all that much fun. North Louisiana is getting hit hard right now...but so far all that I have is some strong winds.

It's awesome that you are using a Silver Fox Soap. It brings me back to some of my first days during wet shaving. I had an Earl Grey scent of Silver Fox and REALLY enjoyed the soap at the time! Nice pic. Stay safe in your wet weather...from the looks of the radar...Texas and Oklahoma doesn't look all that much fun. North Louisiana is getting hit hard right now...but so far all that I have is some strong winds.

We had heavy rain and some small hail. It’s those pesky tornados ya gotta watch out for.

Shave Count (DE: 262 SR: 181)

Pre Shave-

Shave-
Gillette Goodwill
Astra SP
DSC Badger brushe
Proraso Green soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Proraso Green AS

Decided to go with the easy win today. Sometimes you just have to pick the low hanging fruit. Anyway changed out all of the gear and got to it. Loaded the brush for 30 seconds and whipped up a very nice lather.

Went with the standard shave of WTG, XTG and ATG and I have no drama to report. Man oh man, easy peasy BBS for the win!

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and quick towel dry. A shot of the AS and everything was right as rain! Sometimes those easy wins are the best. Our computer is starting to flake out, so I may go get a new one and move all our files over. That should not be fun. But I guess a necessary thing. Other than that, just a few odds and ends today. That and relaxing just a bit. Life is good!

We had to replace our computer a year or two ago. I found out things have changed since you used to pick a computer because of the processor. But it gave us the chance to update to one of those all-in-one jobbies so you don’t need the big box and tons of wires.

Shave Count (DE: 262 SR: 182)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shavet-
Torrey SR
Vulfix brush
CC Venture soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
CC Venture AS

The process -
Starting off a new week with all new kit. Thought I would give the Torrey another go this week and it also sounded like a good time to give the Venture another try. I went with my typical load time of 30 seconds. I whipped up a really nice lather too. It was slick, but not crazy slick like it was last time. I'll have to go back and look at my notes to see what brush I used previously. It was probably just the water content in my brush was off. I did rinse my face between each pass and that did not have any negative impact on the lather. This stuff smells good too.

Gave the razor 50 laps on leather. Went with the standard shave of WTG, XTG and ATG and I have no drama to report. The razor is sharp, but I think it can be better. I walked away mostly BBS, with a bit of DFS. So we'll call that a DFS for the win! After thinking about it, I might take this one back to the stones and see if I can perk it up a tad more.

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and quick towel dry. A shot of the AS and everything was right as rain! A good shave all around. Not awesome, but then again they can't all be. It was definitely a good shave and I am not disappointed. Plus, I also smell great! What more could you ask for?

Home front -
Not much going on here. Back at work with various tasks and "to-do", but nothing really exciting to talk about. Did not get the chance to get a new computer this weekend. but will soon. Ours is really old and suffering some hardware issues. I have a replacement in mind, I just need to go get it. Yesterday I also ordered most of the equipment for soap making. Only the equipment, not the ingredients yet. Luckily, due to health incentives at work that translate into Amazon Gift Certificates, there was no cost for the equipment. So win/win on that one. Stay tuned for another exciting episode. Life is good!

Yesterday I also ordered most of the equipment for soap making. Only the equipment, not the ingredients yet. Luckily, due to health incentives at work that translate into Amazon Gift Certificates, there was no cost for the equipment.
That's exciting!

And yet another Hobbyist is being born

Just to tinker with for personal use, I don’t plan on making it a side hustle. I usually do that with the gift certs. Give them to my wife one year and keep them the next. I then get stuff I don’t need - just to play with.

Back