The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

Good shave Tim! Proraso Red has a nice freshness to it. I like that the AS picks up where the soap lets off.

Yesterday was a rough day at the office, I know aren't they all? Anyway thought I would shake up the rotation a bit and reached for the Tabac. I was curious how the Vulfix would do and Tabac's only had one shot in the rotation so far so ...

Pre Shave-
Hot shower and water splash to shave.

Shave-
Gillette Slim
Voskhod Blade
Vulfix Badger
Tabac soap

Post Shave-
Hot water rinse
Tabac AS Splash

Loaded the badger and off we went. You guys that know ... know. It was an effortless lather that just continued to build. I loaded too heavy and had to throw some water at it, but I didn't find the breaking point. The lather was great and this brush continues to impress.

Had the Slim set on 5 for all passes and I don't change settings. I just set it and forget it. I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. Once again this razor delivers and I walked away with a nice DFS shave. I know I can pull a BBS out of it, but I missed a small bit.

Followed it up with the matching AS and all was right as rain again. Post shave settles in nicely, as expected. Another basic, simple shave delivering really good results. Excellent way to scrub away the mayhem of the daily grind.

I'll pick the Proraso Red back up next week, with the Maggard razor.

Ok, so have you ever said why you call yourself milk crate?

It's amazing how a good shave can turn the day around...even better with a great soap like that! Tabacalicious!

Ok, so have you ever said why you call yourself milk crate?

Not here. But it's not an exciting story.

I was sitting in the garage when I created my first user account on a shaving site. It asked for a user name and I looked up for inspiration. I then spotted a milk crate, on a shelf that I use for an auto parts bin.

Nothing to see here ... move along.

Not here. But it's not an exciting story.

I was sitting in the garage when I created my first user account on a shaving site. It asked for a user name and I looked up for inspiration. I then spotted a milk crate, on a shelf that I use for an auto parts bin.

Nothing to see here ... move along.

Nothing to see her...move along...SO HE SAYS!

It's been a weird kinda week so far, with the shaving kit. I usually stick with a weekly rotation. But this week, every time I start to grab my kit, I'm wondering if I should change something up. Cleared that thought and last night I went with the Tabac again.

Pre Shave-
Hot shower and water splash to shave.

Shave-
Gillette Slim
Voskhod Blade
Vulfix Badger
Tabac soap

Post Shave-
Hot water rinse
Tabac AS Splash

Stayed with the badger and dialed my load time down just a bit from yesterday. Looking back I could have loaded just a bit longer, but it's all good. Once again I was rewarded with an effortless, slick lather. Lathering up sure seems to be a good way to clear your head. I think I'm on the 2nd Voskhod in the tuck and these are working well. So far I have just replaced them at the end of the rotation, but I may see how far I can stretch one of these. Astra SP is my "go to" blade but if the price was right, I would buy these as well when I needed to restock.

Grabbed the Slim and got down to business. I noticed that I had been speeding my stroke up some again and had to focus on slowing that down. I had the razor set on 5 for all passes. I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. Once again vintage delivers and I walked away with a another DFS shave.

Followed it up with the matching AS and all was right as rain again. The post shave settles in quickly and very well also. A great end to the day!

....last night I went with the Tabac again....

Nothing wrong with that!
1f60e.png

Back