The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

Catching up. Great shaves Tim! Looking forward to you getting that Maggard into the rotation. It looks identical to my Stirling, so I'm curious to see how you like it.

I went with the Tabac again.

Nothing wrong with that!
1f60e.png

I disagree, there is everything wrong with that. ?

Playing a bit of catch-up. The last two nights have been consistent and I have run the same setup.

Pre Shave-
Hot shower and water splash to shave.

Shave-
Gillette Slim
Voskhod Blade
Vulfix Badger
Tabac soap

Post Shave-
Hot water rinse
Tabac AS Splash

I have been rewarded with effortless, slick lathers all week long. I know Tabac can be a polarizing scent for some but that aside, it just delivers. The quality of this soap/AS is there.

Went to the Slim again and got down to business. The options this razor brings with the click of a dial are great. And with the minimal price of admission, it was an unbeatable value. I reported a few days ago that I had been speeding my stroke up some again. I have been able to keep that in check all week.

I had kept the razor set on 5 for all passes. I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. Once again vintage delivers and I walked away multiple times with a DFS shave.

Followed the shaves up with the matching AS and all was right as rain again. The post shaves have settled in quickly and very well also. Heading into a long weekend, so I may change up the kit tonight ... we’ll see.

Nice shaves Tim. I really need to get my Fatboy up and running again so I can join in the vintage fun!

Yes you do, vintage is great! Speaking of, check out this Senator I am trying to restore. Got it cleaned up nice. But you can tell it is crooked. I need to fix that issue and then lather up.

Started my “free shave” weekend last night. I received a Maca Root soap in a PIF and grabbed it. The scent was not what I expected, but the Mrs liked it. I thought it might be something a little more earthy, alas it was not. I thought it smelled like a heavy face cream or something.

Pre Shave-
Hot shower followed by a water splash to shave.

Shave-
Maggard Razor MR7
Voskhod Blade
Vulfix Badger
Maca Root soap

Post Shave-
Hot water rinse

This soap is strong in the tub. I loaded for 20 seconds and got down to it. The soap didn’t look too thick on the brush, but I had loaded too heavy. Once I started adding water that lather just exploded. The scent does dissipate while lathering, but doesn’t fade away. The lather was thick and slick allowing for buffing where needed.

I did start the weekend with a new blade. I had been using the Voskhod blades for the last two weeks, so I continued with those. Those blades are smooth and deliver great shaves.

I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. With this setup I walked away with a BBS shave. This was the first time I used this MR7 razor and it’s really nice. It has a good heft to it and is very easy to use. With the quality, weight and performance, I would easily recommend this to beginners and experienced users alike.

Post shave I followed up with a splash of water and a towel dry. I didn’t have any matching AS or ASB with this one and that felt kinda strange. I don’t have anything unscented so I left it as is. It does deliver a great post shave feel and settles in quickly. It leaves your face feeling soft and hydrated.

The Mrs couldn’t really smell it after the shave and said I need to buy the ASB. This was the first soap I have tried from the UK and I will eventually try others.

Another SWMBO approved soap! I call that a win, AND she's telling you to get the matching balm! BONUS!

Forgot to post a pic of that last shave. That is the razor I got from Charles and it’s a great razor! Without an AS chaser, I guess this was my minimalist shave.

Back