The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

Shave Count (DE: 257 SR: 163)

Pre Shave-
Warm water splash to shave.

Shave-
Henckel SR
DSC Badger
Captains Choice Venture

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Captains Choice Venture AS

Late morning shave today. Technically it’s my day off, but I have to work on a system upgrade starting at 5:00pm. That bites. Anyway, back to the shave. Kept the same setup as yesterday and found the sweet spot today. Stayed with the typical 30 second soap load, but could really dial it back. Had a great lather that was super slick. It really was exceptional and made shaving more of a task. Razor became slippery and so was my skin when trying to stretch. Now I see the need for alum to keep the fingers tacky.

Ignored the Torrey this morning and will give it a try tomorrow. I stayed with the Henckel and skipped the nylon strop. Went with 50 laps on leather and the edge is fantastic. Very smooth without the crisp edge.. Also went with my normal shave of: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. Tried changing up my strokes a bit after watching a German shave video. It worked really well. Rounded that out with a solid BBS for the win!

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A glug of the AS and everything was right as rain! Oh yes it is. I have thought of that shave all day. It was truely awesome. I can’t get over the slickness and the lack of soap scum. Yup, I’m keeping this one. Have a great day! Life is good!

Shave Count (DE: 257 SR: 164)

Pre Shave-
Warm water splash to shave.

Shave-
Torrey SR
Vulfix Badger
PdP 63

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
PdP 63 ASB

You know it was a late morning shave today. I was really excited to try this Torrey and I changed our all my gear. I was conflicted because that Henckel delivers an outstanding shave. Ran with the typical 30 second soap load and had a good lather going. Finally I get to try the razor.

This is where I lost my mind and took a left turn. I completely skipped the leather strop. Don’t know how I could miss it. It’s hanging right there and used every day. But skip it I did. Went with my normal shave of: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. Not the best of shaves. My lather looked wet enough and my edges are sharp. But it felt like my edge was going to cause some irritation. Pushed through it and still scored a BBS for the win!

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. Smeared on a glob of the ASB and everything was right as rain! What to do with myself today? Several things to do or work on around the house. I’ll find something. Life is good!

Man...some of you guys have better access to antiques than the ‘bay!

May have to pay one of you to find me some Deep Woods, Spicy, and Leather eventually!

Back