The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

Shave Count (DE: 257 SR: 159)

Pre Shave-
Warm water splash to shave.

Shave-
J Allen SR
Omega Pro boar
Ghost Town Barber (53)

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Ghost Town Barber AS

OK ... so I am up early today and shaving with one eye open. I kept the exact same kit that I had yesterday and will keep this for the work week. There is a spot, in the middle of the soap tub, that is getting lighter and lighter. So it's getting there. Not sure what the game plan is yet with this soap. Run it during the week and random kit on the weekend. Or just stay after it and finish it. I'll figure something out. Loaded the soap for my typical 30 seconds and it whipped up a nice smelling lather and there was plenty of it. I also played around more with the painting strokes this morning.

Gave it 20 laps on the nylon strop and 50 laps on leather. I never really used the other strop, just the leather. But I thought I would try it for a bit and see if it makes a difference. I went with my normal shave of: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. Another outstanding shave and great start to the work week. As a bonus, I am BBS for the win! This Sheffield edge has a different feel than the German razors. This one feels smooth and not as crisp. But it delivers a great shave.

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A glug of the AS and everything was right as rain! Oh yeah! Even though it's a short work week, it will be a busy week. I also still have two razors in the queue to freshen up this week. One is the Henckel and the other is the new Torrey. I worked and worked on that blade, but never could get it to 100% spotless. The scales and the Mother of Pearl cleaned up nice and they are both undamaged, so I'll take it. The blade can just keep that well used look. That's all I have at the moment. Life is good

Nice shave.

I agree that in general Sheffield steel is a lot smoother feeling than the German i have tried. I really should get my hands one a Swedish steel blade at some point and try that too.

Great shave Tim.

I just caught notice of your SR shave count, man, you’re flying! Glad it’s an enjoyable journey for you!

Nice shave.

I agree that in general Sheffield steel is a lot smoother feeling than the German i have tried. I really should get my hands one a Swedish steel blade at some point and try that too.

My first straight was Swedish. It’s a Three Ranners that I picked up from WhippedDog. It has a real thick spine and is heaviest of all my razors. Shave wise, it feels like a German edge.

Shave Count (DE: 257 SR: 161)
Had a quick adjustment to the shaving count this morning. I had two previous shaves numbered 158.

Pre Shave-

Shave-
Henckel SR
Omega Pro boar
Ghost Town Barber (54)

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Ghost Town Barber AS

Woohoo, I hit the bottom of the GTB tub! Or is it oh man, I hit the bottom of the tub :(? Only took me 54 tries, but I am there. So today I kept the same brush and lather routine again this morning. As usual it whipped up a really nice lather and smelled great. The Henckel just came out of the service queue and has been freshened up, so it was on deck today. I sharpened it more than I intended to. I was just going to put a few strokes on it from the Naniwa 12k, but I ran it across the balsa while i was honing up the Torrey. I just wanted to play with a 12k edge for a while, but it's not a problem I will get back to that later.

Gave it 20 laps on the nylon strop and 50 laps on leather. I went with my normal shave of: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. As I mentioned the other day, this edge is more crisp than the Sheffield, but a really nice shave indeed. I started my morning with a BBS for the win!

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. Another glug of the AS and everything was right as rain! Just a quick(ish) update for today. Life is good!

Here is the Torrey with a bit of clean up. The scales and the Mother of Pearl cleaned up nice and they are complete. The blade still needs more work, but I wanted to hone it up and see how it shaved.

The now missing gold plate said, Old Double Convex. I think this might be a half hollow.

So any guesses on how many more shave to finish off the GTB tub? Place your bets gents!

Nice cleanup on the Torrey Tim! That rise on the scales looks quite unique.

Nice shave Tim and Congrats on hitting the bottom of the Tub. Guess the guys forgot to cover for @SteveChuckFrank with the refilling while he is on vacation. :LOL:

The Torrey is looking good. It's always sad to lose some of the nice details in the cleanup process but at least for me i would rather lose it and give the razor life again than keep it and have the razor just sit around.

So any guesses on how many more shave to finish off the GTB tub? Place your bets gents!

Nice cleanup on the Torrey Tim! That rise on the scales looks quite unique.

Thanks! That rise is a blade lock ... pretty nifty. I didn’t know what it was until I stumbled across a thread that mentioned it. I should have gotten a better pic with the factory spine work.

Shave Count (DE: 257 SR: 162)

Pre Shave-

Shave-
Henckel SR
DSC Badger
Captains Choice Venture

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Captains Choice Venture AS

I may have mentioned before, but awhile back I did some trading and scored an unused tub of Captains Choice Venture shave soap. Recently I was one of the winners of a Venture contest that the Captain was running. The winners were given the option to choose any one venture product. I am one of those that likes to use a matching AS, so that's what I chose. It, along with several samples, arrived yesterday. So today ... I went rogue. I haven't smelled any Creed colognes, so I can't comment on that aspect. The soap and AS smell really nice, but could be just a tad stronger. I once used a sample of CC Bay Rum soap in the past, but went with PAA instead. So I really haven't given any CC products a fair shake yet. So here we go ... I went with my usual 30 second load time and whipped up a nice lather and it really did smell great. During multiple lathers the scent did appear to fade some. Not sure if that is really the soap or just a "nose blind" thing. Anyway had plenty of soap for my three passes and a post shave lather.

I almost grabbed the Torrey this morning, but I really like this Henckel. So this one gets the nod for the work week. I skipped the nylon strop and went with 50 laps on leather. Also went with my normal shave of: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. On the first pass, my soap seemed a little thin, but that was just me. A bit more water and a little bit of work corrected that. I had a really nice shave and scored a BBS for the win!

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A shot of the AS and everything was right as rain! Yes indeed, that was a really nice shave and delivered a nice post shave feel as well. This combo left a good first impression and has found a permanent place in my small rotation. Ya know, some people read tea leaves and some read chicken bones. But me, I read soap scum ... JK. But something I found interesting with this shave was the lack of soap scum. Shea butter seems to leave a heavier scum unless you are running a really wet brush. This soap didn't appear to leave a scum at all at the water line of the sink. It just felt really slick. In fact, when I rinsed my brush, it felt like I had used a conditioner on it. Most odd, but in a good way. That's all for today friends and neighbors. Life is good!

I want to love CC products. The owner is super nice and the scents are good. There is just stuff out there that our performs it.

The sniffer issues was probably nose blindness. I found the soap to be pretty strong. The AS starts out with a nice punch of scent, but it settles down to the background pretty quickly.

Back