The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

Shave Count (DE: 256 SR: 152)

Pre Shave-
Hot shower and warm water splash to shave.

Shave-
J Allen & Son SR
DSC Badger
Silverfox Open Source soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash

Wrapped up the day yesterday with an evening shower and shave. Good stuff right there. Kept the same gear but changed out the soap. I wanted to try it again before making it, just to make sure. Dropped my load time down to 20 seconds and still cranked out a ton of lather.

50 laps on leather and I was good to go. I went with my normal shave of: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. And I walked away BBS for the win! I am going to have to pick up another piece of Sheffield steel. Very nice edge indeed.

With the reduced load time I still had enough for 3 passes and a lather to sit while I cleaned everything up. The lather has no stability issues at all. Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. Again I stopped there and didn’t do an ASB. I wanted to check out the post shave feel of this soap as well. It also does do a good job with the post shave feel.

This is a short work week. I am off today, Thursday and Friday. Man oh man, I won’t know how to act. Guess I’ll start the day with a late morning shave and see what the day brings. Life is good! S

Shave Count (DE: 256 SR: 153)

Pre Shave-
Warm water splash to shave.

Shave-
J Allen & Son SR
DSC Badger
Stone Cottage Patchouli sample

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Nivia ASB

Late morning shave today and it was good. Thought I would get my inner hippie on and go with Patchouli again. Threw a glob of the sample in the Turkish bowl and got to it. It built a nice creamy lather that smelled great.

With 50 laps on leather, I was good to go. I went with my normal shave of: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. I didn’t have much stubble to work with after my late shave yesterday. But what was there got knocked down and I was BBS again.

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A dab of the ASB and everything was right as rain! I know you guys missed me saying that. It was a good shave, but was missing residual slickness. And coming after the Silverfox shave, that was really highlighted. That’s a pity because I really like the other Patchouli scent blend that they offer. A few errands and a few things to do around the house should wrap up my day. Life is good!

Shave Count (DE: 257 SR: 153)

Pre Shave-

Shave-
Gillette Slim
Astra SP (4)
Omega Pro Boar
Tabac

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Tabac AS

Ok back to work today, so let's start things off right. Today I thought I would kick it really old school and brought out the Tabac. Haven't used this in a while, so it was a long time coming. I also had to shorten my shave time today, so I grabbed the DE. Not sure if I have mentioned it before, but I set my Slim on 5 and just shave. No multiple adjustments for that, that and the other thing. Anyway, bloomed the puck for just a bit while the water was warming up and then hit it for a 30 second load time. It built a really nice lather very quickly.

I went with my normal shave of: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. A nice, easy peasy shave this morning and BBS for the win! Can't ask for anything more. Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A splash of the AS and everything was right as rain! Speaking of rain, there should be thunderstorms today and tomorrow ... oh what fun. Then things should clear up for a few days. Plus, it looks like we are on a warming trend. Really short work week and trying to cram in what I can during the next two days. Time to go play on the highway. Life is good!

Nice shave TIm! I do the same thing with my 2 adjustable razors. I use one setting for the entire shave. Granted it's a lot harder to adjust with the Rockwell since that is a plate system haha! But I set it and forget it with the Fatboy as well.

Shave Count (DE: 257 SR: 154)

Pre Shave-

Shave-
Three Ranners SR
DSC Badger
Oz Shaving Co - Wicked sample

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Nivia ASB

So ... this morning I had a thought. I have a short work week, so why not keep it random? With that in mind, I grabbed a sample that Steve sent me, which was Oz Shaving Co - Wicked. Tossed a bit of that into the Turkish bowl and gave it a whirl. The scent is present, but not overpowering. I guess I was smelling the Absinthe, but I don't know how to describe it. I can't think of anything to compare it to. Something else I tried today was to be easier on the badger brush, I worked the circles a bit easier without mashing and worked on adding in some additional painting strokes. In two words ... that sucked. Maybe it's a technique thing. I had a decent lather built, but nothing to write home about and I blame that on my routine change this morning. The lather went on rather light, and was almost too light. So on my first run, I don't think I gave the soap a fair shake. I'll have to give it a do-over without playing nice with the brush. I normally use some pressure with my brushes, but I don't mash until the glue knot is scratching my face. So, back to normal brush work for me. If the badgers fail, I still have boar and you can really beat those pigs.

To keep that trend going, I grabbed the Three Ranners and gave it 50 laps on leather. I went with my normal shave of: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. Surprise ... the shave was not awesome either. My passes seemed to lack some slickness and I'm sure that was from the technique change. But not to be outdone, the razor needs the edge freshened a bit. It felt sharp, but not smooth at all. I thought I took care of that awhile back, but I was mistaken. I have read that Swedish steel takes longer to hone, but will hold an edge longer. I ran it through the same paces as my other razors, but should have given it more attention. So back to the queue for that one. With all of that fun, I walked away with a DFS. I'll take it.

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A dab of the ASB and everything was right as rain! Sometimes it's just the little things. Like the lightly scented, fresh smell of Nivia. Hm ... The weather is showing a storm front blowing across the metroplex, so I should get to plow right into that on the way to work. Watch out folks out East, it's headed your way. I think that's about it for this morning. Last day of the work week, so I'll be winding things down. Be careful out there. Life is good!

Hopefully you have enough so you can give that sample another try Tim. Did you at least enjoy the scent? I'd hate to see you not get anything good out of the first run lol.

Hopefully you have enough so you can give that sample another try Tim. Did you at least enjoy the scent? I'd hate to see you not get anything good out of the first run lol.

No worries, I have enough for a few shaves. And this first run was all on me. The scent is not bad. I couldn’t smell leather or the pepper, but my nose is hit or miss of a morning.

Shave Count (DE: 257 SR: 155)

Pre Shave-

Shave-
Boker SR
Zenith boar
TOBS Sandalwood

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Nivia ASB

A late morning shave today and it was very nice. I didn’t care for the TOBS when I first tried it. It was alright I guess, but alas no Sandalwood. Just call it TOBS Floral and be done with it already. Anyway started out with my normal routine and loaded it a bit less than last time. That worked well and cranked out a really nice lather. Running the brush wet as usual and it didn’t thin or breakdown. The boar did shed a hair. What’s up with that?

I switched to the Boker and gave it 50 laps on leather. I went with my normal shave of: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. In spite of the floral smell, that was a nice shave and I am BBS for the win!

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A shot of the ASB and everything was right as rain. I’m not much of a floral guy, but I guess I can finish this tub since I have it. Storms rolled through late last night, so no mowing today. Hm ... what to do, what to do. I’m sure I’ll find something. Life is good!

Back