The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

Tim has a grandchild in high school?? I didn’t know he was a geezer!

I know I’ve mentioned that before. The newest one is 6 months old. Do keep up ...
1f601.png
Well, I’m old enough I forget stuff.

Shave Count (DE: 254 SR: 143)

Pre Shave-
Warm water splash to shave.

Shave-
Dovo SR
Omega Pro 48
Ghost Town Barber soap (3017 - Day 48)

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Ghost Town Barber AS

I'm a bit late in posting for my morning shave. I kept the same setup again today and had plenty of time to shave. Went with the standard 30 second load and once again built a really nice lather. Getting such an extended use from this soap, I have learned a lot about it's performance and other aspects. Hit the strop for 50 laps and was ready to get to it. Went with my standard three pass shave of: WTG, XTG and ATG and I have no drama to report. Tried a little different technique today, just kinda experimenting and lost an eyebrow. JK ... I did change my technique up a bit, but no random hair loss or anything like that. I walked away with a BBS for the win and it's a great start to the day.

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a light towel dry. A splash of the AS and everything was right as rain! Well, as right as can be expected when using the same software over and over and over again. I am really kinda waffling on the GTB. I understand that I could just use the same soap day in and day out forever. Forever. And in doing so, I would get a good shave. With that said, this soap has held up well and I still haven't punched through to the bottom. I use larger brushes than I used to, I load for 30 seconds and I do load with pressure. Can't burn it up in 30 days, but I guess I can stretch it out. Man, can I stretch it out. So, I'm kinda wondering if it will actually pass 60 days. And if it does, then what? Keep going with grudge shaves? Toss it in the trash? PIF it or bury it in the back yard? Or simply resign to the realization that I will never use it up and I hate it? Or I could just stop thinking about it and shave. I think I may give it until day 50 and then sit it aside for something else. I just picked up Baker Street and would like to try that. Also the Proraso Red has been calling my name. So what else is going on? Nothing. I am just all consumed by this soap. Not really. Crazy up and down weather this week and then a cold front in time for the weekend ... yeah. Staying busy at work and this is my short week so ... Life is good.

So ... Day 97 of the GTB.

JK ... I quit on day 51. Brush was dripping and I whipped up some nice wet lathers. Not sure what’s up with those puny tubs you guys got. The soaps not as soft as Proraso. But I’ll come back to it. I rocked the Proraso Red today.

Shave Count (DE: 255 SR: 150)

Pre Shave-
Warm water splash to shave.

Shave-
J Allen & Son SR
Omega Pro boar
SilverFox Open Source Recipe

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Nivia ASB

Mixed it up a bit today and tried a soap that was DIY and PIFed to me. It is the SilverFox recipe and it is published as Open Source. With the customer fragrance on this soap, I initially thought it could be a little stronger. But after some thought, I think it stands up well. I do like the scent and my wife really likes it and she wants to test it as well. So onto the shave. I ran my brush a bit wet, which is normal, and lathered in the tub. It started building a nice looking lather that was creamy with a nice consistency. I loaded the brush for 30 seconds and it did look a bit thin on the brush. However, I face lathered and the soap built a nice lather. It was not overly thick and it was slick. It seems to provide plenty of cushion and slickness. I normally try to run my lather a little thinner and wetter with the SR.

Went with 50 laps on the leather strop and it was time for business. I with with my normal shave of: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. When I lathered for a second and third pass, dipping my brush in water between each pass and the soap didn't break down. The soap also maintained it's scent through the shave. It does have a nice residual slickness as well. At first I thought I might have a stability issue, but I think I had my brush too wet at one point. After three passes, I pulled the rest of the lather out of the brush and lathered back up while I cleaned up my shave gear. No stability issues presented and I walked away with a BBS for the win!

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A dab of the ASB and everything was right as rain. That was a really nice shave with a good post shave feel. I will be trying the soap next with a Badger brush to see how it does and I suspect it will do fine. I may have to try and make my own soap. Aside from the DIY aspect that is pretty cool, you can choose or design your own scent as well. Anyway, just some things to ponder as I wind down the week. Life is good!

Back