The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

Well, after that craziness, you can get back to the 3017!
Probably should have picked this one for the 3017 Tim

Thanks for not giving me grief on the cheat day. I’ll be back on the 3017 tomorrow.

I was going to spice up the shave tomorrow with the awesome post shve Dave did the other day. But I guess the missus ate the last piece of cheesecake while I was at work. Hmmmmm ... oh well, maybe another time.

Shave Count (DE: 251 SR: 130)

Pre Shave-
Warm water splash to shave.

Shave-
Dovo SR
Omega Pro 48 Boar
Ghost Town Barber soap (3017 - Day 32)

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Ghost Town Barber AS

The second day in a row that I have woken up with plenty of time to get ready for work. Can you believe it ... IKR? Kept the same hardware to wind down the work week, but I took a page from Dave's playbook to mix it up a bit. So today I grabbed the GTB. I've used this soap before, but it doesn't appear that I have made much of a dent in it. I'm curious to know if I 3017 it, how long would it last? I've heard that a 4oz, triple milled soap will list about 4 months. So I wonder if this one will last about 2?

Went with 50 laps on the leather strop and it was time for business. I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. Another very nice shave this morning, just taking my time. I slowed down and really watched my angles again today. Once again that paid off and I walked away with a BBS for the win!

Wrapped it up with a splash of water and a light towel dry. I went with a glug of the AS and everything was right as rain! That was until I left the house. It's a blistering 26 degrees @ 54% humidity and 12mph winds... OMG! I'm in Texas and that is cold. Two days ago we almost hit 80 degrees. Grrrrrr ... cold sucks. It's my short day at work today, so I get off an hour early ... I'll take it. No hard plans for the weekend, so we'll just play it by ear. You guys be careful out there. Life is good!

Glad my playbook seemed to agree with you. Tomorrow you should try some CFG like I did today. I went with Sherlock but try the Ghost Town Barber as I've heard good things about it. Peace out ☮️

PS- Audible had me use my Clown Puke instead today but I still recommend the CFG. Gonna run thru mine next.

Glad my playbook seemed to agree with you. Tomorrow you should try some CFG like I did today. I went with Sherlock but try the Ghost Town Barber as I've heard good things about it. Peace out ☮️

PS- Audible had me use my Clown Puke instead today but I still recommend the CFG. Gonna run thru mine next.

Sounds good. I’ll give it a try and we can compare notes.

Stay warm Tim...or cool...guess you have to take it day to day there ???

Glad to see the change in software. I think you should listen to Dave and try some GTB tomorrow.

From looking at the GTB 3017 thread...those tubs can last anywhere between one and two months. Our temps have been steadily getting warmer here in Louisiana with some dips in temp...but nothing less than the 40s. The grass/weeds in my back yard have started growing again and it looks like I will have to change the oil in the mowere and sharpen the blades soon. This weekend I need to put my pre-emergent down to keep some of the weeds at bay.

From looking at the GTB 3017 thread...those tubs can last anywhere between one and two months. Our temps have been steadily getting warmer here in Louisiana with some dips in temp...but nothing less than the 40s. The grass/weeds in my back yard have started growing again and it looks like I will have to change the oil in the mowere and sharpen the blades soon. This weekend I need to put my pre-emergent down to keep some of the weeds at bay.

I think I’m in the 2 month group.

Shave Count (DE: 251 SR: 131)

Pre Shave-

Shave-
Dovo SR
DSC Badger
Ghost Town Barber soap (3017 - Day 33)

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Ghost Town Barber AS

Several people have recommended that I give the GTB a try ... so why not? I picked it up before the VADER and caught it on sale, so I only paid full price for it. Smelling it off the tub, it has a nice Barbershop scent. But I don’t smell the gunpowder and other unique things that are in it. So, let’s give it a try. Grabbed the DSC Badger and got to work. I loaded for 30 seconds. It whipped up quickly and maintained the same pleasant scent. It produced a really nice lather that was slick.

Went with 50 laps on the leather strop and it was time to put this soap to the test. I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. I have been slowing my strokes and watching my angles lately. This also gives me the opportunity to really evaluate the soaps performance. When I put the razor down, I had a very nice BBS shave.

Wrapped it up with a splash of water and a light towel dry. I went with a glug of the AS and everything was right as rain! The AS has the same scent, but has a touch of menthol to it. That was a pleasant surprise. There is also good longevity to the scent. An all around great shave. This is a good soap/AS combo and will have a place in my rotation. Well that’s my .02 cents, spend it wisely. Life is good!

Great review. I might have to check it out someday.
1f606.png

Hmm...so you like Ghost Town Barber? And I thought we were friends...
1f60b.png

All kidding aside...nice thoughts on the soap and aftershave.

Shave Count (DE: 251 SR: 132)

Pre Shave-

Shave-
Boker SR
Omega 48 Boar
Ghost Town Barber soap (3017 - Day 34)

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Ghost Town Barber AS

It was suggested that I might try a 3017 of the GTB. Huh... why not? Before I do that, I wanted to give another soap a try that I haven’t used in awhile. It was kinda pushed to the back of the rotation shelf, but I’m breaking it out today. So I grabbed the GTB and all new kit. Went back to the Boker for a grudge match.

Went with 50 laps on the leather strop and I got READY TO RUMBLE!. Today I was interrupted after the first pass with the missus calling me for breakfast. I went with a quick two passes: WTG and XTG/ATG, with no drama to report. Had a first pass of full WTG. Second pass was XTG on the cheeks and ATG om my neck. I had to do the XTG to see if the Boker would bite again. No bite today and a mixed bag of BBS/DFS. That’s on me because I rushed. I’ll take it though.

Wrapped it up with a splash of water and a light towel dry. A glug of the AS and everything was right as rain! Followed that up with a post shave bonus of black coffee and homemade Taquitos. Life is good!

Back