The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

I almost forgot, I hit the shave mail trifecta today. I also got the samples you sent me. It was a great day.

Glad they finally showed up! That my fault that it took so long. I had everything all set to go and kept forgetting to put it in the mailbox! Let me know what you think when you get around to trying them out.

Glad they finally showed up! That my fault that it took so long. I had everything all set to go and kept forgetting to put it in the mailbox! Let me know what you think when you get around to trying them out.

No worries, I’m still plugging along with the 3017. I’ll let you know when I get a chance to try them.

Shave Count (DE: 251 SR: 127)

Pre Shave-
Hot shower and a warm water splash to shave.

Shave-
Gillette Old Type
DSC Silvertip Badger
Ghost Town Barber soap (3017 - Day 29)

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Ghost Town Barber AS

I'm a bit late for my entry for yesterday. It was an evening shave and I'll get to that in just a minute. I need to make a journal correction. I found that the Boker SR did deliver a cut on Saturday, not a racing strip as I had previously thought. Red stuff didn't come out during the shave or post-shave, but it is a cut. I guess I didn't see it (or the first cut from the Boker) due to my eyesight. Once I put my glasses on, it's there. Anyway, not sure what's going on with that hateful Boker, but I think it bit me in the exact same place as the first time. It was on the XTG stroke, so a nice vertical cut, just like last time. Ok, so enough of that. I wound down the day yesterday with a shower and a shave. The 3 soap 1 bowl challenge was not good, in that it makes me want to use another scent. So I then tried to pacify that urge by using Sherlock on Saturday. And here we are back again with GTB. There is a dent in the puck, but I don't see the bottom yet, so hm. Loaded the DSC for 30 seconds and cranked out a ton of lather. This DSC is actually performing better than the Vulfix, in that the Vulfix sheds with every shave.

Went with a modified shave yesterday, to avoid plowing a razor blade directly into that cut on my jawline. So I went with WTG and ATG and have no drama to report. I walked away from that with a nice and easy BBS for the win! Now what I find interesting is that I completely eliminated the XTG stroke and was still BBS. I may have to explore that further.

Wrapped it up with a splash of water and a drip dry. A simple splash of the AS and everything was right as rain! Nice shave to wind down the weekend and the day. Life is good!

I just started to use a bit more pressure with my bush while loading and have actually gotten better lathers. I had been happy with them before but it made a difference and i am sure it has upped my soap used per shave.

As one who generally 3017s everything, my soaps usually last 4-5 weeks. YMMV.

I couldn’t do it. With that kind of usage I could only afford Williams or VDH at a puck a month.

I do like a matching AS too, which bumps up the cost. I usually load for 30 seconds and have enough for 3 passes and then some.

Shave Count (DE: 251 SR: 128)

Pre Shave-
Warm water splash to shave.

Shave-
Dovo SR
Zenith Boar
Ghost Town Barber soap (3017 - Day 30)

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Ghost Town Barber AS

I woke up with plenty of time this morning for a shave ... IKR? So, I changed up my gear and grabbed the Dovo. Yeah ... I'll circle back to that hateful Boker a bit later. And you will never guess what soap/AS combo I chose today. Give up? It was Ghost Town Barber. Ok, grabbed a boar brush today and hit the soap for 30 seconds. I loaded with the brush heavy with water and I had a nice mess going on. It still smelled great and I had enough for the 2 passes and then some.

Went with 50 laps on the leather strop and it was go time. I went with my new and improved pass method of WTG and ATG and have no drama to report. Today was a mixed bag and I was BBS on the cheeks and DFS+ on the neck. So, there is some room for improvement on my two pass system. Oh well, I'll call that a win anyway.

Wrapped it up with a splash of water and a drip dry. A glug of the AS and everything was right as rain! Nothing out of the ordinary to report so far, just a typical work week, with no fun planned. I did discover using Rit dye on polymer this past weekend, but that's really a discussion for another forum. Have a great day and you guys be careful out there! Life is good!

Nice shave Tim. That soap and AS sounds interesting. Could you use it again tomorrow and give me your thoughts on it?

1f602.png

Back