The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

I'm enjoying the creativity in your posts to make up for the lack there of in your shaves ?

Homemade taquitos?! Do you deliver?
1f632.png

Shave Count (DE: 251 SR: 133)

Pre Shave-
Warm water splash to shave.

Shave-
Henckel SR
Vulfix Badger
Ghost Town Barber soap (3017 - Day 35)

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Ghost Town Barber AS

So here we are starting out the new work week. I went with a morning shave and changed out all the gear, just because. So this week I will be using the above mentioned items. I brought the Henckel back into rotation after a bit of therapy on it this past weekend. I'm not sure what I did or how I did it, but I had something wrong with the edge. I couldn't detect a problem while shaving, but the shaves started causing irritation. But I didn't notice the irritation until after the shave. Also when stropped on leather, both sides made a distinctly different sound. So I took it back to the stones and found the same issue, with different sounds on either side. Most odd. Anyway, got it straightened out and honed up to 12k. On other razors I have run them all the way past 12k up to .01 on the balsa strops and they are crazy sharp. But I wanted to try a 12k edge, so we'll stop there for now. Grabbed the Vulfix and the GTB and got to work. Loaded the brush for 30 seconds and cranked out a lot of lather.

Went with 50 laps on the leather strop and the razor had the same sound on both sides of the edge. Nice! Went with my standard three pass shave of: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. Very relaxing and smooth shave. I had no problem getting a BBS with this setup and that is a win! It was interesting that you can tell the difference in the blade while shaving. Both this one, and the sharper razors, deliver a BBS shave with no irritation. But this edge feels slightly different. I'm curious to see how long this edge will carry with just leather stropping. Hm ... I may have to play around with that.

Wrapped it up with a splash of water and a light towel dry. A glug of the AS and everything was right as rain! It should be a crazy busy week, getting ready for a building power outage next weekend. Also have a business day trip in there somewhere ... oh fun times. Anyway, that's where we are today. Stay tuned for the next exciting episode. Same bat time, same bat channel. Life is good!

Glad you got it sorted out Tim. Wonder what happened to it. Regardless you're back in the saddle. Speaking of, what are your thoughts on the GTB ?

Glad you got it sorted out Tim. Wonder what happened to it. Regardless you're back in the saddle. Speaking of, what are your thoughts on the GTB ?

Not sure, maybe I rolled the edge stropping or something. But I’m glad it’s sorted.
Let me use the GTB for the week to make sure I get it dialed in good. Then I can give you some feedback.

I'd bet the edge rolled and the difference in sound was from the rolled edge/bur.

Glad you got it sorted

Shave Count (DE: 251 SR: 134)

Pre Shave-
Warm water splash to shave.

Shave-
Henckel SR
Vulfix Badger
Ghost Town Barber soap (3017 - Day 36)

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Ghost Town Barber AS

Just a quick update today. This morning was a bit rushed, but I kept the same gear. I ran the brush a little wetter than normal and went with the 30 second load time. The puck just exploded with lather. Began whipping it up and have enough for all the passes and then some.

Went with 50 laps on the leather strop. And then onto my standard three pass shave of: WTG, XTG and ATG and I have no drama to report. Was a bit pressed for time, but had a nice shave and was BBS for the win!

Wrapped it up with a splash of water and a light towel dry. Another glug of the AS and everything was right as rain! Long day ahead tomorrow with a day conference, but should be an 18 hour day ... yuck. In spite of that ... Life is good!

Back