The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

Shave Count (DE: 247 SR: 126)

Pre Shave-
Warm water splash to shave.

Shave-
Gillette Old Type
Voskhod blade (2)
DSC Badger
GTB soap (3017 - Day 25)

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
GTB AS

So this morning I decided to throw caution to the wind and change everything. Psych ... I didn't change much. In a bit of a hurry this morning so I went with a DE shave. I also discovered a few days ago that I wasn't loading as much as I originally thought. So I have now corrected that and I loaded for 30 seconds today. Whipped up another nice lather and got down to business. Ran out of propane this morning (water heater) so my shave went from lukewarm water to ice cold. I don't care who raves about it ... cold water shaves suck.

Went with my standard shave of three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. I did snag a bit along the racing stripe, but not bad. I think I now have all of that dried skin shaved off. And I walked away with a BBS for the win!

Wrapped it up with a splash of water and a drip dry. Followed that up with a splash of the AS and everything was right as rain! Had a great weekend with lots going on, but it's now time to settle into the work week. Luckily it's a short week because I have Friday off. I do have a couple of mail calls to report. First is the un-Assured razor that was delivered on Saturday. I will use that in the next few days. And it looks like the Chiseled Face set has finally made it to Kaufman and is out for delivery today. Woo hoo! I think that's it, be careful out there. Life is good!

That cut must have been deeper than you made it sound originally. Hope you're back to smooth skin soon.

That cut must have been deeper than you made it sound originally. Hope you're back to smooth skin soon.

I aggregated it scrubbing with a wash cloth, I think. Then the skin lifted and dried out. It’s red, but it didn’t bleed. It should have the way it’s acting. Better now, so I should be able to yank out hair with the Assured ?

Hopefully you got your shower in before the hot water stopped!

I was cold water shaving for a while and stopped. I didn't really notice a difference in the quality of the shave.

Hopefully you got your shower in before the hot water stopped!

I was cold water shaving for a while and stopped. I didn't really notice a difference in the quality of the shave.

I don’t even get up early enough for a shower ?. I shower at night and thankfully got the propane filled today.

Shave Count (DE: 248 SR: 126)

Pre Shave-
Warm water splash to shave.

Shave-
$1 Assured DE Razor
Assured blade (1)
Zenith Boar
GTB soap (3017 - Day 26)

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
GTB AS

So here we go, first shave with this Dollar Store Assured razor. I've done this challenge before and the razor has some serious QC issues. That was a nice way of saying it sucked. The first time, I had a bad door alignment that I had to tweak with brute force. However, that didn't address the other issues with the razor. The blade alignment was way off and it had serious rust issues in the first week. The TTO would also not stay tight and started opening during the shave. And somehow it managed not to cut hair, but yank it out in gobs. Well, enough of that pleasantness.

And here we are again ... This new razor doesn't look too bad, at a distance with my reading glasses off. No door alignment issues, so we are off to a better start. Let's add a blade. The doors on this one fully open, so there is no issue with installing a blade. The TTO mechanism works without issue and tightens snugly. So far so good. Uhg! I need to take a pic of this blade alignment. I have a mild razor one one side and an aggressive razor on the other side. Huh, let's see what we got. Hit the soap for 30 seconds and cranked out a nice lather, let's kick this pig.

Went with my standard shave of three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. The first pass was with the mild side of the razor and using a light touch. Not too bad! This one actually cuts hair. Switched over to the aggressive side for the XTG pass. Again, not too bad. Ok. let's try the ATG with the aggressive side. What?! I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't shaved with it. This razor actually knocked out a decent shave. I have a BBS/DFS mix this morning and I will take that for the win!

Wrapped it up with a splash of water and a drip dry. Feeling saucy, so I followed that up with a full-on glug of the AS and everything was right as rain! Man oh man, I am truly surprised by that shave. I did not expect that at all. Thankfully this razor swung wildly the other direction from the last Dollar razor that I used. In other news not much going on today, just plugging along with the work week. Oh, I got tagged for the 3 soap shave by someone. I won't mention his name, I'll just give you his initials *. I may combine that with the Dollar razor shaves, just for giggles. Anyway, that's all for now. Be careful out there. Life is good!

Better now, so I should be able to yank out hair with the Assured
1f601.png

I really don't understand this experimentation with bargain store gear.
1f644.png
SMH

I agree, Tim, cold water shaves suck.
1f632.png

Back