The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

Shave Count (DE: 244 SR: 119)

Pre Shave-
Warm water splash to shave.

Shave-
J Allen SR
DSC Badger
GTB soap (3017 - Day 15)

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
GTB AS

Kept the same hardware this morning, but decided to change up the software. Psych! I'm still using the same stuff. But tomorrow, I may mix it up and switch ot Barber of Ghost Town. Anyway, I got up on time again without the snooze button and was able to use the SR. All of my newer brushes are larger than the ones I started with and this is no exception. I think this brush splays out to twice the size of any of my current brushes, it is huge. It still had the subdued lathering in the tub, but really comes alive when lathering. I'm hoping that it doesn't splay much more. I also didn't detect any funk this morning. It could be morning congestion or what little funk was there is fading fast.

Went with a 30 second load time again. I also hit the stop for 50 passes on the leather. Went with my standard shave of three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. I missed the BBS buy just a few whiskers, but I'll take it. Still a win in my book. Wrapped it up with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A splash of the AS and everything was right as rain. According to the bay, my Torrey should be home when I get thee today. I'll have to clean and hone it this weekend. I think that's all that's going on at the moment. Crazy busy at work again. Luckily I have Friday off this week, so there is that. Life is good!

Shave Count (DE: 244 SR: 120)

Pre Shave-

Shave-
J Allen SR
Zenith Boar
GTB soap (3017 - Day 16)

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
GTB AS

So ... this morning I used Barber of Ghost Town. Or as you may have heard it called by it's street name, GTB. I am not weighing the soap, so I don't have any accurate scientific measurements. But just using visual observations, my puck is going nowhere fast. Not that there is anything wrong with that. I know people in the past may have only been able to afford one soap at a time, or couldn't justify the need for multiple soaps, or whatever. So I think I am still comfortable using this until the end of Spring. Went with the Zenith boar this morning and loaded for 30 seconds, then realized that my brush was holding more water than I thought. The lather was wetter than usual this morning, but that's not always a bad thing. It cranked out a nice, great smelling lather.

I hit the leather stop for 50 laps and was ready to rock. Went with my standard shave of three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. Once again I missed the BBS by just a few whiskers. I'm not sure if that was the razor or me, so I'll own that one. Yup, still a win in my book! Wrapped it up with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A glug of the AS and everything was right as rain. That's right, today is my Friday and I went full on glug. Dave inspired me to take the day off tomorrow, so there ya go. Got the Torrey in from the bay last night and I will wait a bit before I post pics. It's kinda fugly at the moment, but I might be able to remedy that. Nothing broke, it just needs some TLC. We found out the other day that the breakneck pace we finished the year with, will be the new normal. Fun stuff right there people. No weekend plans at the moment, so we'll take it as it comes. You guys be careful out there. Life is good!

It’ll be the doldrums with that GTB for a bit, then all of a sudden you’ll see some daylight coming through the other side, fervor will be renewed, and the race to finish will be back on.

Sorry work’s putting the pressure on ya. That’s no fun.

Nice shave Tim, enjoy the day off!

Thanks Steve!

It’ll be the doldrums with that GTB for a bit, then all of a sudden you’ll see some daylight coming through the other side, fervor will be renewed, and the race to finish will be back on.

Sorry work’s putting the pressure on ya. That’s no fun.

Thanks Chris! The job is what it is. I’m blessed that can provide for my family.

Shave Count (DE: 244 SR: 121)

Pre Shave-

Shave-
Three Ranners SR
DSC Badger
GTB soap (3017 - Day 17)

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
GTB AS

I changed up razors this morning and went back to the DSC brush. This Swedish razor has a different feel to it. I think the steel is a tad thicker and has a little more heft. Great feel and great shaves. I’m starting to notice the differences in the SRs more. Hit the tub for 30 seconds and got to it. Sprinkling water as I went. Another nice lather this morning and the brush is really starting to bloom.

I hit the leather stop for 50 laps and it was go time. Went with my standard shave of three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. Yes friends and neighbors, today was a full on BBS for the win!

Wrapped it up with a splash of water and a towel dry. A glug of the AS and everything was right as rain. Have several errands to run today and some work on the missus car. Then my team has to work tonight on a system outage. Should be a full day. I’ll probably work on the Torrey tomorrow. Have a great day! Life is good!

Scored this one from the bay the other day. Now that I see it in person, I realize I chose poorly. It’s a 9/16, has heavy wear and patina so heavy that it looks blued. And the edge looks kinda sketchy. We’ll see how it cleans up.

Hope it surprises you, that's a lot of hone wear Tim

Yup, way too much. I think this one is the rad killer.

When I got into DEs, I ended up with about 18 of them. Vintage and new ones. I know for some that’s not many. When I scored the Goodwill I realized I could pull a nice BBS out of all of my vintage razors, so why have so many? It was the RAD killer. I sold or PIFed most and I’m down to 4 DEs.

Then came the straights. I have 5 vintage that I really like. I have a few others that are just meh. The last 3 buys, were a bust. Bought that lot from Japan and they were all 4/8. Sold or PIFed most, but still a couple to get rid of. Then the Shumate was a 4/8 and broke. Now this 9/16 in poor shape. I’m done buying. The ones I have shave well and will last a lifetime. So I think I’m going to start purging the meh razors and keep the original 5.

Back