The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

Well ... I can say without reservation that it sucks less than opera. We tried an opera once, only once.

Today was Mozart #38 & Mahler. There were stuffy people there too. I probably asked a dozen, “Pardon me do you have any Gray Poupon?” They all looked at me strange. Maybe they felt bad for not being prepared, I don’t know. Anyway, it was ok, I would go again. Wrapped up the day with dinner with the missus. Good stuff.

Hah! I remember those commercials!
1f602.png

Shave Count (DE: 244 SR: 117)

Pre Shave-
Warm water splash to shave.

Shave-
Gillette Senator
Voskhod Blade (5)
Zenith Boar
GTB soap (3017 - Day 13)

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
GTB AS

Needed a quick shave this morning, so I went with the DE and the Zenith Boar got the nod. Went with a 30 second load time again and cranked out a really nice lather that still smelled great. I will try to complete the 3017 of this soap. I have not transitioned yet to: the smell is alright; the smell is just meh; the soap smells; OMG I'm tired of this scent. So that's probably a good thing.

Went with my standard shave of three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. A quick, easy peasy shave and I walked away BBS for the win!

Wrapped things up with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A splash of the AS and everything was right as rain. Not much I can add to the shave. Performance is nice and is consistent regardless of brush or razor. So I think it's safe to assume I have this one dialed in. I am seeing a bit of a depression in the soap, so it is starting to wear. I had used this before the 3017, but I don't have an accurate shave count. I'll say the 3017 will run closer to 2 months, but we'll see. Had a great time yesterday with the symphony and dinner. I think we will be doing that again. Anyway, it's back to the grind today and oh what fun it is. Temps are also dropping with a high of 47 degrees today ... yuck. Take care and have a great day! Life is good.

I’ll find out in the morning.

I’m badger stupid. It was listed as a 2 band silvertip, so I bought it. I wanted a silvertip, but after reading more I guess I just got a 2 band.

I’m not the best with the badger lingo either. My Wild West Brushworks is a 2 band. Not sure about the Silvertip part. But I read in one place somewhere that all 2 bands are Silvertips. Another place said otherwise. In the end I guess it doesn’t really matter as long as we like them right?

I’m not the best with the badger lingo either. My Wild West Brushworks is a 2 band. Not sure about the Silvertip part. But I read in one place somewhere that all 2 bands are Silvertips. Another place said otherwise. In the end I guess it doesn’t really matter as long as we like them right?

Very true.

The problem with badger hair grading is that they are not consistent. Meaning one places silvertip grade could be another places best.

Shave Count (DE: 244 SR: 118)

Pre Shave-
Warm water splash to shave.

Shave-
J Allen SR
DSC Badger
GTB soap (3017 - Day 14)

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
GTB AS

Yay! I had enough time for an SR shave this morning. I also took the new DSCosmetic badger for a test shave. This was listed as a two band SilverTip, so there ya go. The description said it has a 24mm knot, but gave no other specs listed. I also haven't measured anything on it yet. When I opened the box, there really wasn't much badger funk, which was surprising. Once it got wet this morning, there was a hint of funk, but it wasn't bad. My initial impression of this brush is very favorable. I treated it like any of my others and went with a 30 second load time. It didn't really exploded with lather on the soap, but it loaded very well. When I started face lathering, it cranked out a really nice lather. The brush was holding lather well and it also released it well. It didn't hog the lather. I had enough lather for 3 passes and then some. On the first use of this brush, it was softer than the Vulfix. With that said, the Vulfix should be a lesser grade of Badger. The DSC also seemed to have nice backbone and splay. I'm curious to see how it behaves as it starts to break in.

Went with my standard shave of three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. A very nice shave and a BBS for the win! Wrapped things up with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A splash of the AS and everything was right as rain. Nice shave this morning. I'm kinda digging that GTB too, I may use it again tomorrow. Life is good.

Back