The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

That’s it, I didn’t notice the vendor name. So I guess I smell grapefruit sherbet, not orange. It’s faint.

Last night I went with the same setup again.

Pre Shave-
Hot shower followed by a water splash to shave.

Shave-
Maggard Razor MR11
Voskhod Blade
RazoRock Plissoft
Calle Ocho soap

Post Shave-
Hot water rinse
Calle Ocho AS Splash

As I mentioned in a previous post this soap has an interesting scent. It also lathers and shaves well providing enough slick for buffing. I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report.

This razor and blade combo delivers a smooth BBS and the AS confirmed that everything was right as rain.

I also mentioned that the AS has a tacky feeling until it absorbs. I had that on this shave as well. It feels refreshing but odd. Luckily you don’t really feel it on your face. Just on your hands if you are checking your post shave feel.

That was shave #2 with this combo. I use it again and see how things work out.

Hmm, I tried Voskhod early on and it didn't jive with me. I'll have to dig around and see if I still have one left to try again. I always thought it would be cool to say I used blades imported from Russia.

I'll mirror the excellent customer service from Maggard. I bet you just got a free soap out of it.

Got an email from Collin @ Maggard this morning. He is shipping the correct order today with an RMA label for the incorrect package.

GTB should be in the house soon.

Hmm, I tried Voskhod early on and it didn't jive with me. I'll have to dig around and see if I still have one left to try again. I always thought it would be cool to say I used blades imported from Russia.

I'll mirror the excellent customer service from Maggard. I bet you just got a free soap out of it.

I have two tucks, let me know if you want me to send you one.

I usually start a rotation on Sunday nights, but I got distracted with the other setup. So I changed it up tonight.

Pre Shave-

Shave-
Maggard Razor MR11
Voskhod Blade
Omega boar
CC Bay Rum soap

Post Shave-
Hot water rinse
CC Bay Rum AS Splash

This should be a fun rotation, I don’t think I have done a week of Bay Rum yet. Had a bit of trouble dialing in this lather. It seemed too wet and was thin and fading on me. Added more product but still couldn’t get it right. Even though it was thin, it was slick. I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. This razor and blade combo is working well and I walked away with a DFS shave. This was due to a spot on my jawline.

Hit it with the AS and everything was right as rain. There was a bit of burn with the AS, but it faded fast. Post shave feel is good. The scent is not as strong as Stirling, but Stirling set me on fire. I’ll give it another go tomorrow and see how I fare.

Nice shave Doug, though that's interesting that you were having some issues with the CC soap's stability. Hopefully that is remedied soon.

Just catching up. Good stuff Tim! I've tried Voskhods in the past and was pretty happy with them. I think this Sunday I'll be going back to them when I switch my setup.

Nice shave Doug, though that's interesting that you were having some issues with the CC soap's stability. Hopefully that is remedied soon.

I'm sure I'll get it tonight. I wanted to try again this morning, but didn't have time. I think I actually didn't load the brush good enough. I think I was taking it easier since I was using my boar. Tonight I'll hit it like it owes me money and see what happens.

Last night I used the same setup again, with better results.

Pre Shave-

Shave-
Maggard Razor MR11
Voskhod Blade
Omega boar
CC Bay Rum soap

Post Shave-
Hot water rinse
CC Bay Rum AS Splash

It would appear that more product was the correct answer. Loaded up longer and was rewarded with a much better lather. It was nice and slick as well. I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. I walked away with another DFS so I’ll take it.

Followed it up with the AS splash and everything was still right as rain. Good times!

No reason to be stingy, there's lots of soap out there to use up.

Back