The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Quijote's search for BBS

Was in a rush today, so went with a guaranteed quick lather with my Sorrentino Tuxedo on a soap that never disappoints, A&E L'Orange Vert. 3 passes later with the Old Type/GSB combo and I was as smooth as a boy can hope for. Finished up with a splash of Fine Italian Citrus. Went well, but am going to have to retire both the soap and A/S soon both are getting a little low.

I do have 2 soaps with matching tonics coming to replace that one soap. I also have another razor coming. It will be my first Artist Club style razor. I don't have any blades yet though, so I will just stare at it until I place my next order somewhere. It is the Kai Captain clone from CBL.

Sweet! AC style shaving is the bees knees!
I don't have much experience with them. I was loaned a Feather DX when I first started my straight journey. I tried it for around 4-6 shaves. I have been putting off trying them again because my ignorance has been stopping me from more acquisitions.

Try ProGuard blades.
Go for the low angle, light touch.

If ProGuards feel rough, your angle may be too steep
That was probably my problem back then. I have quite a few more open shaves under my belt now. Hopefully, it will be better.

My faves are Pro Supers. I recall thinking about guard type blades before I tried them and wondering how could they possibly deliver a good shave. I could not have been more wrong.

Enjoy that new shave piece.

Last edited:
Well, I tried out the new stuff the other day. The soap and A/S is top notch. But let's face it, we all knew it would be.

The razor is taking some getting used to. It has been a year since I sent off my straights to get some work done to them, so I am out of practice. Because of this I told myself that I would do one pass with it, then finish with my DE. First pass went well. It took a little practice to get the angle it was being held correct. A couple of times, I went too shallow and the bump next to the blade caused the blade to lose contact with my skin. Even given this, the first pass took off more stubble that my normal first passes.

So, thinking of how well it went, I ignored my previous decision to do just one pass. And because of this, Murphy paid me a visit. I didn't have my chin skin stretched optimally and I had forgotten the angle I use the straights there. It caused the blade to sink in at the line where a goatee would be. Now I'm nursing that spot for a few days. The razor seems great, just need to get back in the habit of using a straight.

Man, I was rooting for you through the first half!
I was too. I should have just listened to myself. I will try again once that cut heals. Just will have to remember how i used to do sort of scything motion and to stretch it better.

Or I could just grow a goatee like yours and not have to worry about shaving it.

Well, I tried out the new stuff the other day. The soap and A/S is top notch. But let's face it, we all knew it would be.

The razor is taking some getting used to. It has been a year since I sent off my straights to get some work done to them, so I am out of practice. Because of this I told myself that I would do one pass with it, then finish with my DE. First pass went well. It took a little practice to get the angle it was being held correct. A couple of times, I went too shallow and the bump next to the blade caused the blade to lose contact with my skin. Even given this, the first pass took off more stubble that my normal first passes.

So, thinking of how well it went, I ignored my previous decision to do just one pass. And because of this, Murphy paid me a visit. I didn't have my chin skin stretched optimally and I had forgotten the angle I use the straights there. It caused the blade to sink in at the line where a goatee would be. Now I'm nursing that spot for a few days. The razor seems great, just need to get back in the habit of using a straight.
1646947388412.gif

Well, that shave was a couple of days ago. Today, I pulled out a soap that I haven't used in years. Back then, I put it away because I want a huge fan of it. But when I went through my stash (all 12 of them) I found my Cella (brick) was down to about 1/8 inch thick in the container I smashed it into. I decided to go ahead and 3017 it. Shouldn't take long. And, with it being Cella, it is kind of a requirement that I use an Italian boar brush. So, I also took out my Omega and made a great lather with it. Either letting it sit in there and age or me having more practice with lathers made a much better shave than I used to get with it. Since I am still healing up, I took out my most mild razor, my GEM push button. Through in a fresh blade. Great shave without any additional irritation or blood from the spot. Finished up with a little Barbasol Pacific Rush.

On the personal front, the head hunter said that they are getting the final details about 2 different positions that want me.

We are also going camping this weekend. The site we are going to will definitely live up to its name, Frozen Head State Park. They are supposed to get 2-3 inches of snow tomorrow. Should be a lot of fun.

Back