The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Quijote's search for BBS

Falling behind a little over here. Been busy. Working my normal day job, plus the remodeling job, soccer and helping get a cub scout pack started back up. They knew about one section of subfloor that needed replacement on the home. I found 2 more once I tore out the flooring. This out me a little behind schedule, but now we just have to prime and paint the whole house, install new lights and ceiling fans, a continuous vinyl plank floor, do some minor plumbing and electrical work. In the next 12 days of after work and weekends.

Oh, and shaves have been great as usual. Both the Cella and A&E are almost gone. Will be sad when the A&E is. That has been my favorite soap with the best lather. I did finally change out the GSB that I was using for the one blade challenge. I don't know the exact number, but it went into the mid 20s. I could have probably gotten more out of it, but it just wasn't comfortable. Let's face it, if it isn't a comfortable shave, then we might as well be using cartridges.

Great update Don! Glad the home improvements are coming along well…sounds like you’re putting a lot of effort in! 😎👍

Update time.

Finished my Cella to all but a paper thin ring around the edges, so I added an old sample of Stirling Iced Coffee figuring that the subtle almond scent that is left wouldn't really be a big deal against that. Well, it was so old that all the scent is gone and couldn't feel the menthol. Still makes a great lather, but is basically unscented at this point. I have also ran out of Fine Italian Citrus. At this point, I only have 1/4 of a bottle of a citrus aftershave. May have to rectify that soon. The other Don inspired me with his chocolate soap PIF. I busted out my B&M Night Music. It is a polarizing scent, and you have to load it like your mad at it, but if you do, it gives you a nice lather.

On the personal side, after all the additional projects that was added to the house I was remodeling, it was finished last month. I got another insurance adjusting position that will end up being a better fit for me. I also still have 2 people that want me to work on their houses in my spare time.

My wife and daughter have been training for a half marathon. My daughter loves running and has been begging us to let her run one. Well, her first one will be the second weekend in September, in Ohio. As of this point, I am crossing my fingers that no hurricanes hit between now and then. If it does, then my vacation will be cancelled and they will have to go without me.

Also in September, I signed up for the Great Cycle Challenge to help bring awareness and fundraise for childhood cancer. I only signed up for 50 miles, but that is more than I currently ride, so it should be good. It will be my second year doing it.

Some other stuff is brewing that may have me living the bachelor lifestyle for a month at the end of the year, but that is still being ironed out.

Also in September, I signed up for the Great Cycle Challenge to help bring awareness and fundraise for childhood cancer. I only signed up for 50 miles, but that is more than I currently ride, so it should be good. It will be my second year doing it.
That is such an important fundraiser. Kudos to you and all the others participating, Don. (y) (y)

Busy birthday weekend. A lot of stuff happened. Will post about it later when I actually have access to a keyboard to type it all out instead of just my phone. Putting this in here now so that I can make myself do it.

Preview: rental house potentially haunted, half marathon results, odd Amish encounters, and BBQ competition.

The shaves have been going well. BBS, nothing really new there. I am boring with my shaves. The only thing of note is that now my only citrus aftershave is down to about 1/4". I have plenty of shave soaps, but need to invest in new aftershaves.

This past weekend was my birthday weekend, but the biggest thing that happened was my daughter's first half marathon. She and my wife ran it. My daughter has a goal to run a race in all 50 states. For her first half marathon, she picked the Amish Half Marathon in Ohio. It was a good race for them, but it had a lot of climbing. Somewhere around 1000ft of climbing. Arabella ended up coming in first in her age group. She was so proud, they gave her a special mug for winning and she wouldn't stop carrying it around all weekend. Later that day, we went to the Harvest Festival which had a huge BBQ competition. I had some of the best ribs of my life. It was much better than the stuff they have around here.

The house we rented was kind of a flop though. It advertised having a game room. When we got there, the game room was in the basement which you had to cross an area that they put down foam padding that was wet for some reason. Then the air hockey table didn't put out enough air to lift the puck and the foosball table was missing the ball. They just had a semi round object that looked like just a tinfoil ball. The upstairs wasn't all that much better. The thing that really sold my family on it was that it had a soaking tub. The ladies thought that would be great after the run to be able to soak in a warm bath. Well, we had told the rental people that and no one told us that the water smells like rust. And not just a little hint of it either. This was so bad that you could smell it on you all day long. We brushed our teeth with bottled water. It felt wasteful, but the first morning I brushed with the sink water and everything had a rust taste all day long. Then, there was a door that went to the second floor that if it was closed and latched (couldn't be pulled open) it would randomly open itself. And if we left it open, a couple of times it would close itself. OK, possibly it could be air pressure from when the HVAC would turn on and off, but my daughter's purse, which was in the middle of the dining room table fell off at about 4AM. So, I am normally a skeptic, but I would not be surprised to find out it actually was haunted.

Now this was in the heart of Amish country. We would be outside on the porch and would see all kinds of buggys go by. They were all really welcoming, but there was one that would go by every day that I was not sure about. The first couple nights, I thought it was just a coincidence, but the last day I was outside when it went by. They had one buggy that had a stereo system in it with a lot of bass. It would turn about 150 yds before our house and I could still feel the bass from that far away. There were also a lot of them riding around on e-bikes. I understand the appeal of those with the hills in that area, but I was just curious how that works with their religion.

Wow! Congrats to your daughter, that’s amazing for a first-timer!

Mega bummer about the rental house. Did the renters have any excuses?

Wow! Congrats to your daughter, that’s amazing for a first-timer!

Mega bummer about the rental house. Did the renters have any excuses?
With the water, they just claimed that the plumbing is being replaced in the house next month. But looking back on the prior reviews of the place, they claimed that it was going to be replaced in January earlier this year. So either they had a plumber fall through and they just haven't been able to get another one out, or they are just using that as an excuse. Everything else there was no excuse.

With the water, they just claimed that the plumbing is being replaced in the house next month. But looking back on the prior reviews of the place, they claimed that it was going to be replaced in January earlier this year. So either they had a plumber fall through and they just haven't been able to get another one out, or they are just using that as an excuse. Everything else there was no excuse.
head-shake.gif

Been shaving with my clown puke tub made up of samples this month. Great shaves. Also been using my German 37 exclusively. No complaints here.

Well, I made it to 50% of my goal for the distance on the Great Cycle Challenge for the month. I went out last Monday and bought a new to me drop bar bike from a charity that gives it bikes to the less fortunate around here. They sell the higher end ones to people like me to fund theiy operation. I bought one for myself and one for my son.

On another note, it is official, I will be a bachelor for a month at the end of the year. Tammy and the kids had been talking about it, but it wasn't set in stone. They will be leaving here on Dec 4 for Montana to go to her nephew's wedding. I will then meet up with them again in Nebraska on Jan 6 for her dad's 80th birthday. Then bring them home. On the plus side of driving from here to Nebraska by myself, Stirling is only a short detour out of the way. I may have to stop by there if it is open when I go through.

Wow! A whole month of bachelorhood?! However will you survive?!

Way to go on the bike challenge!

Wow! A whole month of bachelorhood?! However will you survive?!

Way to go on the bike challenge!
I will probably have to make myself a few steaks during the month to console myself. Will have to keep myself busy too. I have a few projects that will just go better with them not around.

Been shaving with my clown puke tub made up of samples this month. Great shaves. Also been using my German 37 exclusively. No complaints here.

Well, I made it to 50% of my goal for the distance on the Great Cycle Challenge for the month. I went out last Monday and bought a new to me drop bar bike from a charity that gives it bikes to the less fortunate around here. They sell the higher end ones to people like me to fund theiy operation. I bought one for myself and one for my son.

On another note, it is official, I will be a bachelor for a month at the end of the year. Tammy and the kids had been talking about it, but it wasn't set in stone. They will be leaving here on Dec 4 for Montana to go to her nephew's wedding. I will then meet up with them again in Nebraska on Jan 6 for her dad's 80th birthday. Then bring them home. On the plus side of driving from here to Nebraska by myself, Stirling is only a short detour out of the way. I may have to stop by there if it is open when I go through.
I dont know if I could handle being away from the family during the Christmas Holidays ...

Me if I were away from them........
I would be watching...
HMMovies.png
Then I would be like.......
Crying-A.gif
Then when I saw them again after the holidays I'd be like...
ChiefLeftIbadanmalimbe-max-1mb.gif

I'm not going to lie, that is going to be hard. Will be video chatting with them most nights probably.
Yeah. I remember when I had to be away from family during holiday's.. It was tough !! I'm sure you will get through it just fine though.....

Last edited:
Hello everybody!

Why am I screaming you may ask. Well, I'm glad you asked. Wednesday, I did my normal every other day shave except I used my shavette and that went very well. And I was happy. Until I went out and got the mail. My Sabre wasn't supposed to come in until today. No, it was there when I shaved. I missed out on a great shave and had to stare at its beauty until this morning. I think that is probably the most I regretted a shave in the years I have been doing this wonderful hobby of ours.

This morning though, I actually didn't sleep well last night. Was it the anticipation of today's shave or being sore from yesterday's workout. You can decide. So how on Earth could this razor live up to this anticipation? After all, I have been kicking around the idea of buying one for over 4 years before I finally convinced myself to do it. It did not disappoint. It was so smooth and easy that anyone could get a great shave and be able to tame a GEM. An easy BBS with a generous application of CBL's Bee-Spoke afterwards and I am on cloud 9.

In other news, with the hurricane hitting twice, we are in overdrive here at work. Looks like 12 hot days will be the new normal for quite some time.

Today is also the last day of the month, and thus the Great Cycle Challenge. If any of you wanted to donate to the efforts of @gobucks5485 to get in the drawings, now would be better than later. I made my miles a couple of days ago. It was a lot of fun. I look forward to doing it again next year.

Well, that is enough of my ramblings for the day. Go out there and have a good day.

Sabre, Declaration Grooming Santal Auster, Chatillon Lux Santal Auster Salve, Sorrentino Tuxedo.

You are going to be seeing a lot of this set up for a while. The only thing that will change is the brush. This is their Icarus base and it performs admirably. I love a good woodsy scent and this sandalwood fits that bill. The scent lasts long enough that my wife(with her super sniffer) can still smell it at night after the shave.

One problem though is that the salve has separated and I have to give it a good hard shake before I use it so that it doesn't just have a pool of oil in it. I have had 2 of their salves and they both did it. Just have to do the @NurseDave shake, then Bam! It is back to a usable consistency. I just hope he doesn't get me for copyright infringement.

Personal life update later.

Back