The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Quijote's search for BBS

Quijote

La Mancha's Best Shaver
Legacy
First Responder
Square guard Shovelhead / GEM Personna
Sorrentino Tuxedo
Stirling Naked and Smooth
LT DC / Captains Choice Lime

I just went with a GEM shave today because I had to be ready by 6. It was an easy 3 pass BBS. Tomorrow will be a shave with the Feather DX Kamisori. I did try out the Lucky Tiger Disappearing Cream. First impressions are that the menthol level are about the same and the scent strength of this is lighter than the Vanishing Cream. It may be a little better face feel, but that may also be because how good the shave was. Will do more testing.

CBLindsay said:
Lucky tiger disappearing cream AND vanishing cream? Wow.
Dave sent me his DX Kamisori to test out and was curious about the differences between the 2, so sent me some of his disappearing cream to test. When I send it back, I will include some of my vanishing cream.

Nice read Don...

Interesting on the creams. I wonder if Chris is going to try to work that into some of his soap formulations?

Straight Shave 32

Feather DX Kamisori / Proguard (1)
Made Rite 1000
Stirling Naked and Smooth
LT VC / Clubman

With everyone's talk about how these Feathers cut whatever is in the way regardless of it is skin or hair, I was a little nervous before that first swipe. I was concentrating on as light of a touch as possible. First pass, great reduction, no irritation or blood. Second pass, I let my concentration slip just a little and applied too much pressure in 2 spots which resulted in slight seepage. Other than that, after 2 passes I was BBS in most places. But the trouble spots were only DFS. I used the Vanishing cream today because the disappearing cream has, well, disappeared. The LOTH shoved a bunch of stuff in that cabinet and I couldn't find it. I will have to pull some stuff out to reorganize it. I definitely feel good today though.

I'm very impressed with this razor. After today, I may have to put it high up on my list of acquisitions. It is very efficient and smooth. The only thing that was difficult was judging the blade angle. The lack of a folding handle and the razor being shaped like a wedge made it a little more difficult for me. I did enjoy it so much though that I may also look into a traditional kamisori.

A la Mancha, it is going to be a busy weekend for me as my sister-in-law will be in town. The only plans SWMBO had told me about is going to the zoo. But I know there is a lot more going on. Have a great Friday and weekend everyone.

Good stuff Don. If you can master the feather system you can master anything!

So what's the difference between the two Creams? Is there formula differences? Are they meant for specific skin types?

Cvargo said:
Good stuff Don. If you can master the feather system you can master anything!

So what's the difference between the two Creams? Is there formula differences? Are they meant for specific skin types?
From what I can tell, the disappearing cream has aloe and the Vanishing cream has more of a minty scent.

It's a good thing you had the ProGuard blade installed. The naked blades are a little more intimidating. Great shave for a first contact!

the Feather SS I have is a beast for sure and I feel like if I can continue to control it well and not reopen old wounds then it will eventually BBS my trouble spots too

Great shave Don. I actually found the Feather SS a little easier to shave with than the DX, though the SS I used was a folding razor, and the DX was a Kami like the on you're using.

Majorrich said:
It's a good thing you had the ProGuard blade installed. The naked blades are a little more intimidating. Great shave for a first contact!
Yeah, I wouldn't want to try a super before I get more used to it.
DocHoliday0831 said:
the Feather SS I have is a beast for sure and I feel like if I can continue to control it well and not reopen old wounds then it will eventually BBS my trouble spots too
I can definitely see these being rough.
Smattayu said:
Great shave Don. I actually found the Feather SS a little easier to shave with than the DX, though the SS I used was a folding razor, and the DX was a Kami like the on you're using.
I like the kami style. I am not sure which one I will eventually go with.

Straight Shave 33

Feather DX Kamisori / Proguard (2)
Omega boar
Henri et Victoria Cognac and Cuban Cigars
LT DC / Chatillon Lux Unconditional Surrender

This was my second attempt at the DX. The shave went very well. I did 2 passes with touch up and ended up with a BBS. To me, the size of this blade and the lack of a point makes this razor a little easier to me than a normal straight. It could also be the guarded blade. I did get some slight weepers because it basically shaved off the damaged spots from yesterday because they were slight raised. If I do get one, it will definitely have to be on days after no irritation. I did try to use some alum today to stop the bleeding and I am not a fan of it. I will just keep using on my fingers for grip. The disappearing cream reappeared. Although both creams are great, I think I give the disappearing an ever so slight edge over the Vanishing.

Have a great day everyone.

Very true, no pointy tip is one less thing to worry about.

Late to the party Don!

Great shaves! Good job with the feather.

Quijote said:
To me, the size of this blade and the lack of a point makes this razor a little easier to me than a normal straight. It could also be the guarded blade.
NurseDave said:
Very true, no pointy tip is one less thing to worry about.

Y'all are aware that they make straight razors with rounded toes right?

clyde72 said:
Late to the party Don!

Great shaves! Good job with the feather.
clyde72 said:
Y'all are aware that they make straight razors with rounded toes right?
I have one. I just haven't used it in a couple weeks.

Back