The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

PUZZLES and PUZZLES GALORE!

Oooh, one is off, one is on and one you had on but turn off right before you go through the door to feel which bulb is hot

I used to love listening to the radio show Car Talk. So I went into their archives and sifted though their puzzlers. Most of them I think too hard or obscure, but this one should be ok.

Some time ago, a team of British archaeologists came upon some ancient Roman ruins. Among the ruins was a stone quarry, a nearby fortress of some kind, and what appeared to be a small town, with some houses, some livestock pens, and so on.

All of these things were connected by roads -- those famous stone roads built by the Romans. In fact, they probably obtained the stones for the roads from the very quarry they discovered. After some careful observation, these archaeologists determined that the Romans drove their carts and wagons, and probably chariots too, on the left side of the road, just like the Brits do.

How did they know this?

The carts leaving the quarry were heavier than the carts returning to the quarry. So the stones on the left were either sunk lower into the ground leaving the quarry or more worn from the wagon wheels.

The carts leaving the quarry were heavier than the carts returning to the quarry. So the stones on the left were either sunk lower into the ground leaving the quarry or more worn from the wagon wheels.

Wow, that's a good answer! I don't know this riddle but this seems to make logical sense.

Winner winner!

Back