The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

PUZZLES and PUZZLES GALORE!

Right, I keep thinking about some pattern they can do which would work out to 11 changes, but since they are chosen randomly, it could be 20 changes before they are all through. So the number doesn't matter.

Right, I keep thinking about some pattern they can do which would work out to 11 changes, but since they are chosen randomly, it could be 20 changes before they are all through. So the number doesn't matter.

I don't know if this is going to help you..... but you're actually onto something there......

See story problems are the worst for me!

But I suppose seeing as they are in prison, they could smuggle in a shiv, and when they each enter the room for the first time they make a mark on the wall.

But I suppose seeing as they are in prison, they could smuggle in a shiv, and when they each enter the room for the first time they make a mark on the wall.
It's all done with the switches man!

I just don't see how this could possibly work if we don't know the starting position of the switches. If both were off to begin for example I think I have a solution.

I just don't see how this could possibly work if we don't know the starting position of the switches. If both were off to begin for example I think I have a solution.

If you have a solution to that, then you just need to tweak it a bit to allow for the unknown initial status.

Well i'll throw my idea out there it might help people out. When the 11 prisoners meet. They signify that the B switch is the counting switch. So only flip it if it is your first time entering the room. If you it is a second or greater time you enter the room you flip switch A. Then the group only has to count switch B.

Well i'll throw my idea out there it might help people out. When the 11 prisoners meet. They signify that the B switch is the counting switch. So only flip it if it is your first time entering the room. If you it is a second or greater time you enter the room you flip switch A. Then the group only has to count switch B.
How will they know how many time switch B has been flipped?

That's what I'm thinking. Something like you only switch A your first time in the room. Any time after that you switch B. But since they don't know who has gone in and when, they don't know when everyone is switching B.

Maybe it has to do with the switches not being attached to “anything”? The switch boxes could just be lying in the middle of the floor, offering a myriad of patterns to make.

Work done and prepping for a meeting tonight. I with my lack of patience couldn't take it anymore. If any of you REALLY cared about these prisoners you would have done what I did. Googled it. I'm out of the think tank...............

Looks like the core of the idea is there, but the specific problems are:

How is the switch being counted?

How to you account for the switches being in a random order when the process starts?

That's what I'm thinking. Something like you only switch A your first time in the room. Any time after that you switch B. But since they don't know who has gone in and when, they don't know when everyone is switching B.

So following this thought line

switch a and b are both off.

one prisoner is counter

first prisoner in flips switch a to on

only the counter prisoner turns off switch a

if switch a is off prisoner turns it on if it is on they filp switch b

switch b doesn't matter.

when the counter gets to 10 then he knows all 11 have been inside

Back